Replaced Hybrid battery now my Camry won't start

Old 07-08-2017, 06:24 AM
Enthusiast
Default Replaced Hybrid battery now my Camry won't start

I have a 2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid I have the check hybrid system check VSC system flashing on my Dash I took it to my mechanic and he put a scanner on there and he said that I had a bad cell in my Hybrid battery I bought a battery off of Amazon from HV hybrid Solutions the battery appears good I put it in my Hybrid battery pack all my voltage is read 7.94 volts. I put the battery pack into the car hooked everything up including the 12-volt battery and put the orange safety plug in with the latch pulled down and snap down all the way I went up to start the car to test it out and I hit doesn't start it all now in fact my power seats won't work my radio won't come on a number of other electrical items won't even turn on. Before removing the battery pack and replacing the cell the car would at least run now I'm not getting anything I'm at my Wit's End I do not know what to do except have it towed to the dealer which I don't want to do I live in Akron Ohio I've called a number of garages that popped up on some hybrid sights when I called them they don't take care of hybrid cars I found one guy that would work on them but he has a body shop that works on hybrid cars and I would have to have it towed into him it's a number of miles away.

Old 07-08-2017, 01:24 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Replaced Hybrid battery now my Camry won't start

You have confirmed that your 12V battery is good? Resting voltage is 12.4V min and >12.6V preferred?

So, you replaced one of the 34 battery modules?

This means that as someone who has no idea what they're doing, disassembled a hybrid battery pack, replaced the module, reassembled it and reinstalled it without making an error? And you properly torque all module nuts and connections?

If your 12V is good, you need to check your fuses. If your 12V is bad, replace it. If your 12V is good and you have no blown fuses, you need to remove, disassemble and the pack looking for missed connections. I suspect you didn't plug the voltage sensing harness into the battery computer under the main relay.

I'm sorry you got suckered into believing this is a trivial thing or an easy fix. Imagine having to repeat this exercise every 3-6 months as you play whack-a-mole with the failing modules.

Old 07-17-2017, 07:11 PM
Enthusiast

Check the fusible links too in the fuse box under the hood. Sounds like you blew the 33030 which I will tell you is a pain in the **** to get out. I put a battery pack in my 07 and grounded the top black wire in the battery pack which was the equivalent of jumping the car with the cables on backwards. Probably some other mini fused blown as well all though mine weren't. I no longer have Check Hybrid System error but the car won't start with the first push of the button, it says you must depress the brake while starting the car or something like that. I've got some more work ahead of me. Here's another trick, push the start button once as usual then a second time but hole it for 30 seconds, that bypasses the brake. My car again will start but will not go into gear. Hope this helps!

Old 07-18-2017, 11:39 AM
Enthusiast

Here's some help to get the fusible links out... although not a hybrid in the pictures it's enough help to get through it. I wish we had that much room to work under the hood! Fusible links are available on Amazon.
http://sparkys-answers.com/2011/09/2...ulti-fuse.html

Old 07-18-2017, 11:41 AM
Enthusiast

This is 33030

Last edited by golfeus; 07-18-2017 at 12:41 PM. Reason: pics not showing
Old 08-25-2017, 03:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

When did you replace the battery and at what mileage? Mine is 07 Camry hybrid now 10 hrs old but 41K miles. How much is the battery total? Thanks

Old 09-13-2017, 03:33 AM
Enthusiast

About 2 months ago and it cost around $1700 after core return with RockAuto.

Old 09-13-2017, 03:33 AM
Enthusiast

Mileage is 160,000

Old 09-13-2017, 08:14 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by golfeus
About 2 months ago and it cost around $1700 after core return with RockAuto.
very expensive compared to conventional car battery but not as expensive as I heared and feared. I was like it costs around $4000. By the way what you mean" core return". Mine is TCH 2007 but just $43K miles . 10 years old, always parked outdoor, not a lots of miles driven yet. Should I worry about having to buy new battery soon? Thanks

Old 09-13-2017, 08:28 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I would assume that was for a Dorman or Cardone. I have had experience with both of those batteries in Prius form.

Do some searches on Prius Chat and see what's been happening with Dormans lately. Many failures, and they've been installing Gen1 Prius modules into Gen2 packs (a big no-no).

I recently came into possession of a Dorman Prius battery that was 2.5 years old based on its test date sticker. Dorman would not honor the warranty without a record of purchase or the "warranty card". I had neither.

Upon teardown and testing, this is one of the worst packs I've ever seen come out of a running car. I don't mean by a little bit. I mean by a mile. Out of the 28 modules, only 5 meet my INITIAL criteria for re-use. 7 of them have capacities under 700mAh. A handful are marginal that I would consider for personal use in my vehicles with low expectation of reliability. Most of them are complete and total junk (17).

Furthermore, what I've seen from ORIGINAL batteries coming out of Camrys at 124-170K miles - they are used up - not viable for reconditioning. Granted, these are Arizona cars, but I have data from not-quite-as-hot regions showing similar trends.

Bottom line: If you want a lasting and reliable repair with longevity comparable to the original, there is no choice besides Toyota new. Yes, it's a better value. Yes, it's 3X as much. Yes, it will last 3X as long.

Dormans or notorious for high failure rates within the warranty period. Yes, they honor their warranties, but they do not cover installation labor. You can easily rack up another $400-600 in installation charges. If you're DIY, you will likely never want to do it again after doing it once...

IMHO, Dorman is sacrificing quality to meet demand, and it shows.

Concerning Cardone, I would never consider purchasing from them for one reason alone - the 3yr warranty battery that failed in 16 months had absolutely no seal, i.e., the sealing strip under the cover had been bead blasted away. As a result, the pack was getting little to no airflow as this seal creates the plenum from which pressurized air is forced through the pack.

Workmanship on these packs has been sloppy at best.

So, to repeat, if you want a LASTING repair when it comes to Camry battery replacement, there is no substitute for a new Toyota battery. The best you're going to get with a recondition is 3-4 years TOPS. More likely you'll get far less.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Replaced Hybrid battery now my Camry won't start

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands