replacing tires and alignment issues

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-2008, 09:23 PM
Enthusiast
Default replacing tires and alignment issues

I'm desperate to find some info regarding anyone's experience with alignment issues and tires. I just passed 30,000 miles on my 07 hybrid (bought July 06). They came with bridgestone turanza tires. After discovering a slow leak, I came to find a nail embedded in the drivers side front tire. My dad had always been visually checking the tires said that even though currently the outside was okay (which is easily visible upon checking) I would have to likely change the tires this winter season anyways. After going to several places to try to get it patched, I was turned away due to the inner side of the tire being to close to the "secondary rubber of the tire". I was advised by several people not to use the temporary plug kits (which could make it worse), nor the sealants (as this may affect the tire pressure sensor in the future).

I was planning to buy the V rated tires from costco (still can't quite understand why a hybrid needs this kind of sports rated tire). I found a BF Goodrich brand traction T/A tire for $102, with a mileage warranty. Unfortunately, they are on national backorder.

Even if I fork out the money for the michelins in stock at costco, i still need to fix the underlying potential alignment issue. Has anyone had this problem before where the tires on the inside wear out faster than near the outer end?? any recommendations on where to go (i did not buy the car with any additional warranty, and i know that any future tires' warranty will be void if this continues to occur). Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

Old 09-23-2008, 10:06 PM
2007 Barcelona Red Camry
Default Re: replacing tires and alignment issues

Make sure the tire you buy is a low rolling resistance tire. When I had to replace mine I went with a cheaper brand but with a 50000 mile warranty. The tire is real quiet but later found out that it wasnt a LRR tire. Eversince I've gotten a lot worse mileage per tank full. After about 10 tankfulls I am getting 4-5mpg less. Before I would get around 35-37mpg all around driving and now getting 31-33mpg. If I would have know I would have paid the extra money just to see my good mileage again. Good luck with your purchase

Old 09-24-2008, 07:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by joystix2
Make sure the tire you buy is a low rolling resistance tire. When I had to replace mine I went with a cheaper brand but with a 50000 mile warranty. The tire is real quiet but later found out that it wasnt a LRR tire. Eversince I've gotten a lot worse mileage per tank full. After about 10 tankfulls I am getting 4-5mpg less. Before I would get around 35-37mpg all around driving and now getting 31-33mpg. If I would have know I would have paid the extra money just to see my good mileage again. Good luck with your purchase
joystix2...Please tell us which tire brand and model you bought. Thanks

Old 09-24-2008, 07:35 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

It's not uncommon for alignment to change of the life of a tire. You should get an alignment on your vehicle at least every tire change. I also make sure I look at the tires when I have them rotated at 5K to determine if I see any kind of wear on the tire that may indicate a alignment issue. You can get an alignment done for about 100 bucks and it's money well spent when you put on a new set of tires.

Old 10-03-2008, 08:30 PM
AKM
Somewhat hard driver

LOL, my original Bridgstones only lasted 19,000 miles (but I drive like a maneac on mountian roads).

The Mitchlins I have now (factory equivlent, can't remember the number) are doing much better.

Old 10-03-2008, 10:24 PM

I never did align my '94 Corolla till about 105,000 miles. I had a quad alignment done and it was still in limits. They did go ahead zero up the front end.

I kept michelin tires on that car. That's the first car I got 75,000 from the first set and 70,000 from the same type replacement tires. I could have went farther but with a vacation coming up I wanted new tires for a smoother ride.

I found you can look at the front tires before you have them rotated. Look for outside wear. If excessive you may need an alignment.

Keep your tires at 35 psi when cooled off. Some michelins ride good at 40 psi.

Old 10-04-2008, 02:21 AM
Pragmatist

Originally Posted by DIRBYH
I was planning to buy the V rated tires from costco (still can't quite understand why a hybrid needs this kind of sports rated tire).
Thanks!
The TCH doesn't need V-rated tires. It won't go that fast. However, it does need "low rolling resistance". By coincidence, tire construction methods that make low rolling resistance also make V speed-ratings.

There are several threads on this forum about tires and rolling resistance. Michelin makes some that are both LRR and quiet, and provide good competent handling. Michelin Energy MXV4 S8 tires were OEM. Michelin more recently recommends their Primacy tire for this application.

See the previous thread on this topic:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ter-mpg-17818/

Old 05-21-2010, 11:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Replaced my 2007 TCH Turanza's at like 23,000 even though I drove conservatively and faithfully maintained correct air pressure and rotation. Went with Bridgestone Potenza's which are supposed to be much better tire. Unfortunately, I passed on getting an alignment as my car was low mileage and driving straight down the road.

Now my tires are making all kinds of noise like truck tires. Appears my rear alignment is out, causing the inner part of the tire to wear unevenly. I am so mad at myself. The independent mechanic told me the TCH is known to have rear alignment issues, and the problem is it doesn't really affect the steering of the vehicle. Now my relatively new tires are ruined. My only option is live with the noise or get new tires again after a year.

Wish the tire dealer knew what my independent mechanic knew.

Old 05-21-2010, 03:27 PM

I have never seen a rear end out of alignment on any car, especially my 2007 TCH.

Before making any alignment moves. Try looking at Tire Rack's site and read the customer reviews on the Bridgestone Potenza Tires. Check what others say about quick wear and noise.

If they wear that much in a year, you should feel the car slowing down rather rapidly when you let off the gas.

I prefer Michelin Tires over all others. They do cost more but are usually long lasting. I keep 35 to 44 max psi in my tires. I choose 44 due to trying for the highest gas mileage. I have my own digital gauge to check them when they have cooled off.

Many new tire places are now putting nitrogen in the tires. They seem to ride a little softer but also is said they run a little cooler. Something about making the tires last longer and less chance of small leaks.

Originally Posted by LEAKYTCH
Replaced my 2007 TCH Turanza's at like 23,000 even though I drove conservatively and faithfully maintained correct air pressure and rotation. Went with Bridgestone Potenza's which are supposed to be much better tire. Unfortunately, I passed on getting an alignment as my car was low mileage and driving straight down the road.

Now my tires are making all kinds of noise like truck tires. Appears my rear alignment is out, causing the inner part of the tire to wear unevenly. I am so mad at myself. The independent mechanic told me the TCH is known to have rear alignment issues, and the problem is it doesn't really affect the steering of the vehicle. Now my relatively new tires are ruined. My only option is live with the noise or get new tires again after a year.

Wish the tire dealer knew what my independent mechanic knew.

Last edited by rburt07; 05-21-2010 at 03:32 PM.
Old 05-26-2010, 09:17 AM
Enthusiast

I recently replaced the stock Michelin MXV4's (wore out around 35k), with Michelin Pilot Exalto's so far handling is better, and gas mileage is about the same (maybe even slightly better, but my daily commute also changed around the same time).

They seem to be wearing well. Alignment was checked at the time, but no significant adjust was necessary.

Quick Reply: replacing tires and alignment issues

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands