Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2006, 05:50 PM
Enthusiast
Thumbs up Report: First TCH made in the USA

Here is the link: http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do...d=117124?imw=Y

Old 10-16-2006, 08:14 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Report: First TCH made in the USA

All I have to say is that I am glad mine is made in Japan.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FL07THC
When Toyota first started building cars over here a concern was whether the reliability would suffer. After building cars here all indications are that Toyotas (and Hondas for that matter) built in the USA are just as reliable as imports. I personally would not have any problem with a TCH from the Kentucky plant.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:37 AM

Originally Posted by FL07THC
According to the article:
"The first half of the system consists of a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine. The Atkinson-cycle engine generates 147 hp and is coupled to a continuously variable transmission. The second half of the system is a small, high-torque electric motor that produces 141 hp."

You can have the Japanese TCH, I want the USA-built TCH that has 288 horsepower, that's more than a Camry SE! lol.

(I know this is a typo, the electric motor is really 40hp)

Old 10-16-2006, 09:51 AM
Enthusiast

The article says Toyota intends to build 48,000 TCH per year in KY. Obviously, they anticipate an annual demand of at least 48,000 TCHs in USA and Canada. I recall reading somewhere that Toyota sold over 400,000 Camrys last year in north America and since TCH became available earlier this year, every 1 in 10 Camrys sold is a TCH. Putting these numbers together, sounds like Toyota's plan is to produce all the TCHs for the north America market in KY.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:32 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

I am curious of Fog Lamps will be offered on US assembled TCHs.

Old 10-16-2006, 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by flopshot
According to the article:
"The first half of the system consists of a 2.4-liter four-cylinder engine. The Atkinson-cycle engine generates 147 hp and is coupled to a continuously variable transmission. The second half of the system is a small, high-torque electric motor that produces 141 hp."

You can have the Japanese TCH, I want the USA-built TCH that has 288 horsepower, that's more than a Camry SE! lol.

(I know this is a typo, the electric motor is really 40hp)
No, it's not a typo, the electric motor can output 141 HP, it's the battery that is limited to 40 HP output. Part of the ICE output is used to generate electricity, so electric motor can develop more than 40HP as it is by being feed electricity directly from generator , but then you loose some of that power from ICE output going directly to wheels so despite the fact that ICE makes 147 HP and electric motors can develop 141, only 188 HP total can be output to wheels at any time. It would make nice summer project to add extra battery pack and get full 288 HP output to wheels on the TCH. wouldn't it?

Old 10-16-2006, 07:46 PM
Active Enthusiast

Do we know how many were built in Japan? The last numbers I saw was 20,000+.

Old 10-16-2006, 08:04 PM
Enthusiast

Belbe,

Yeah, I recall from the producation number thread that the highest number I've seen was over 20,000. These were, of course, all made in Japan. But if Toyota will produce enough for the north American market in KY, they will probably not ship any from Japan. Maybe they will still make TCH in Japan but for other markets. Do they sell Camry in other markets?

Old 10-17-2006, 05:52 AM
Enthusiast

Just got my TCH, made in Japan, vin # is 24,000+.

Quick Reply: Report: First TCH made in the USA

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands