Road noise and Wind noise

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2006, 01:45 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Road noise and Wind noise

Originally Posted by Ian
Noise is a very subjective adjective, really depends on how much you can tolerate. In my personal opinion, in some ocassion, i really feel that the wind noise and road noise, especially on the interstate highway (I-90 and I-94 in Wisconsin and Minnesota) can sometimes be very distractive and annoying.

Does anyone has any solution on how to minimize the road noise and/or wind noise?

Has anyone installed the wind deflector yet? Are they useful, in terms of decreasing the wind noise?

Anyone has any suggestions?
Thanks
Question to the original poster. Do you have the moonroof? Is it possible you have a leak in the moonroof seal? I had a bad seal in the moonroof of my 94 Ford Explorer, and it sounded like a whistle when I got up to highway speeds. Once the service dept replaced the seal, everything was fine. Also, the wind deflector accessory is only useful if you have the moonroof, the purpose is to deflect the wind over the open moonroof so the wind doesn't come shooting into the car, it's not really useful if you have a solid roof.

Old 10-16-2006, 03:18 PM
Happy 07 TCH Owner

Ian: I'm not sure of the cause of your problem with wind noise, but the road noise my be due to the fact that the rubber plugs that fit in the shipping tie down holes under the TCH may be missing. Lots of people have found these missing, look in your glove box to see if they forgot to re-install them at port entry.

Old 10-16-2006, 04:00 PM
Ian
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by flopshot
Question to the original poster. Do you have the moonroof? Is it possible you have a leak in the moonroof seal? I had a bad seal in the moonroof of my 94 Ford Explorer, and it sounded like a whistle when I got up to highway speeds. Once the service dept replaced the seal, everything was fine. Also, the wind deflector accessory is only useful if you have the moonroof, the purpose is to deflect the wind over the open moonroof so the wind doesn't come shooting into the car, it's not really useful if you have a solid roof.
Hi flopshot
I have a moonroof but I notice the wind noise actually come from the side window. does a side window wind deflector works to eliminate the wind noise from the side window also?

Originally Posted by David Price
Ian: I'm not sure of the cause of your problem with wind noise, but the road noise my be due to the fact that the rubber plugs that fit in the shipping tie down holes under the TCH may be missing. Lots of people have found these missing, look in your glove box to see if they forgot to re-install them at port entry.
HI David Price
are those holes locate in the front bumper? I think i have that covered already. Anymore suggestion?

Old 10-16-2006, 05:25 PM
Happy 07 TCH Owner

Ian: No, the tie down holes are located under the TCH. Two under the front end and two under the rear. If you search this forum you will find several posts refering to these plugs. If they are left out noise can be conducted into the car through the empty holes.

Old 10-16-2006, 05:31 PM
Happy 07 TCH Owner

Ian: I just found this:

09-01-2006, 03:12 PM
Sallyspal vbmenu_register("postmenu_85106", true);
Too Smug

Hybrids: TCH - Titanium

Re: Those 4 plastic plugs in glovebox???

jbolt is right, those plugs go under the car in the frame. Make sure they get installed, they will cut down on the road noise you otherwise might experience.

I was wrong, the plugs are made of plastic.

Last edited by David Price; 10-16-2006 at 05:35 PM.
Old 10-16-2006, 05:55 PM
Ian
Active Enthusiast

Hi David.
Thanks for your help, but I don't recall any plug that was in my glovebox upon delivery.. maybe I will check to see whether they have installed those plugs properly.
Thanks for your great help.