Road Trip & Millage

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2008, 07:00 PM
Enthusiast
Default Road Trip & Millage

My brother & I are going on short road trip from Sedona to Fox AR. And back. We both are 6-2, & 280 about. We each have one travel bag about 45lbs each. I am renting a HyCam, what kind of millage can we expect, ball park please. The rental Co. Tried to talk me into a Tahoe hybrid.
Leaving next week for 7 days or less.

Old 12-26-2008, 07:56 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Road Trip & Millage

It depends on how you drive it. If you do a reasonable job of hybrid driving or use the cruise control most of the way I'll guess about 35 to 39 MPG....

There are some factors that are difficult to predict. The air conditioning will zap you a couple of MPG. Headwind/tailwind will make a difference. Rain/wet roads can cause a drop.

Let us know after the trip.

Old 12-27-2008, 02:23 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Impossible to determine, since the age of the car can also dictate the mileage. Most car rental places try to have new cars (under X,000 miles).
Many who get superior statistic play with the car.
Some will...
  • alter their driving techniques...42 MPH on the highway
  • adjusting tire inflation
  • even going as far as avoiding heat or air conditioning (especially in the extreme climates)
...in an attempt to squeeze out extra mileage.
I doubt you'll get anything close to the mileage that some here can boast.
If you want to learn more about the factors affecting mileage, please click the FAQ in my signature.

Last edited by haroldo; 12-27-2008 at 02:29 AM.
Old 12-27-2008, 11:52 AM
Active Enthusiast

what kind of millage can we expect
A lot better than what you would get with the Tahoe.

Old 12-27-2008, 06:42 PM

Originally Posted by SpecialAgentPrius
My brother & I are going on short road trip from Sedona to Fox AR. And back. We both are 6-2, & 280 about. We each have one travel bag about 45lbs each. I am renting a HyCam, what kind of millage can we expect, ball park please. The rental Co. Tried to talk me into a Tahoe hybrid.
If you own a Prius, why not drive that? You can check your owner's manual for weight limitations, but I think you'll be within Toyota's boundaries as if I'm not mistaken they predicate the weight limit on four adults of around 150 lbs each.

Old 12-27-2008, 07:48 PM
Enthusiast

I don't own a Prius, the only hybrid I have is a Segway.

Thank you haroldo for the link.

Last edited by SpecialAgentPrius; 12-27-2008 at 07:59 PM.
Old 12-27-2008, 07:50 PM

I don't own a Prius, the only hybrid I have is a Segway.
OK, SpecialAgent Prius

Old 12-27-2008, 08:05 PM

OK. Got it. Assuming that HyCam is a Camry Hybrid, my advice as a sedan owner who, since his first car in 1950 has striven to maximize millage here are my suggestions:

Max out tire pressure to psi on tires and, and - set your cruise control for some speed under 65 mph. I know this will seem to be excruciatingly slow but it will pay off. When I drive from LA to either Mesa or Tucson - or points east, or for that matter on any interstate I set the Prius cruise control at 64 mph. That really paid off as I recorded 62 mpg coming back West into Tucson.

Even better, if you know the US Highway which runs between your two points, jump on that and run your CC at around 55 mph. Sit back, enjoy the scenery and if you've got something like an iPod with some great sounds, or even an audiobook (I'm partial to mysteries and jazz) you can plug that into the AUX port and play through the Camry radio.

Remember - you Must Stay Awake!

Old 12-27-2008, 08:21 PM
Enthusiast

Prius was the car I thought about buying, but then I found it was a bit small for me, so now I am looking at the HyCam. I need to change the name.

Old 12-27-2008, 08:28 PM

Prius was the car I thought about buying, but then I found it was a bit small for me, so now I am looking at the HyCam. I need to change the name.
Not to worry, after all, many are given names which will follow them to the grave.

Quick Reply: Road Trip & Millage

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands