RS3200+ Alarm

Search this Thread

Old 09-28-2006, 07:51 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default RS3200+ Alarm

Has anyone had the Toyota alarm system installed?

Is it a job for the dealer or DIY?

Old 09-30-2006, 12:04 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: RS3200+ Alarm

My car came factory equipped with it, I didn't care and bought the car anyway. Do you have any specific questions about it? Luckily, I haven't had my system activated by anyone yet.

Old 09-30-2006, 02:34 PM
Active Enthusiast

I was wondering if it was worth the difference between the local dealer quote installed & what I coud get it from an on-line parts dealer for & do my own installation.

Old 09-30-2006, 03:07 PM
Smile Re: RS3200+ Alarm

This VIP 3200+ alarm package is really more valuable on a CE, LE, or non-optioned XLE because there is no starter lock built into those cars, so this alarm package adds a starter lock to those cars. But since the TCH comes standard with the keyless starter, we already get a built-in starter lock. Therefore, on the TCH the Viper 3200+ system just adds some window sensors and vibration sensors to the existing keyless starter lock. I think it was a $500 option. Do I think it's worth it? No, but it was the only option that I didn't want on the car (it was optioned just the wway I wanted it, even the color was the one I wanted) so I wasn't about to turn down this "perfect-for-me" car and take a chance I would not find another one to my liking before the tax credit deadline expired. I'm not sure the guy who ordered the options really knew what he was doing by adding this option to the TCH.

The only nice thing is that because it's a factory integrated system, the security status display is located in the upper dash where the clock and pass airbag status lights are. Any aftermarket security system you install will have the status LED somewhere outside of the dash. (Note - do you realize how much of a PITA it was to capture a pic for you of a flashing LED just at the precise moment? ) At least that's what the salesman told me, and I haven't been in a TCH without the VIP 3200+ to notice if this security status indicator is standard on all TCH's.

Last edited by flopshot; 09-30-2006 at 04:52 PM.
Old 09-30-2006, 04:23 PM

IMO lack of alarm system in TCH is by far the biggest oversight by Toyota on this car. Even more frustrating is the fact that the car has all the elements of build in alarm system, from the door open sensor, remote lock/unlock, all the way to engine cutoff. The only thing missing is some simple relay that would activate the horn if the door was open without unlock signal from the FOB. I'm not affraid of the car being stolen as much as I'm affraid of somebody breaking the window and stealing my navigation system which costs over $2000 when purchased alone, BTW how is that possible if that option on the car costs only $1200 ???? I think VP3200 is overkill, since it duplicates most of the functions the car already has, but I'm thinking of putting some simple, non integrated alarm on my own, just for the peace of mind. If you want I have PDF file with instalation instructions for VIP system, I can send it you to see for yourself, if you can do it.

Old 10-01-2006, 12:44 PM
Active Enthusiast

Flopshot: I was in the exact opposite fix. I wanted the alarm to get the window & vibration sensors. I happened to call a dealer in the SE Toyota region & they had one comming in the following week. I had been getting the run around from my local dealer for two months. They are not allowed to deal with SET dealers. Toyota of Boone had one that was comming in with everything but two options (alarm & locking lug nuts). I couldn't pass this one up.

The main reason I'm considering the factory vs aftermarket is the system integration (1 key fob & uses the same led)

Last edited by UTAlumnus; 10-01-2006 at 12:48 PM.