Sales Halted and Production Stopped.

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2010, 04:56 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Sales Halted and Production Stopped.

Wow!

Just got into my hotel for the week and opened the news. Toyota has stopped production on all vehicles affected by the current recall and more astonishingly, they have stopped SALES.

I cannot honestly remember any other time this has happened, to any car manufacturer. Somehow, I think Toyota will come to regret the whole floor mat routine.

I'm a little worried, because some articles exclude the Hybrid Camry, while others do not.

Pass the popcorn. This is going to be interesting.

Old 01-26-2010, 04:58 PM
lzc
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Sales Halted and Production Stopped.

According to the Washington Post, here's a list of vehicles effected: RAV4, Highlander and Sequoia sport-utility vehicles; Corolla, Camry and Avalon cars; Matrix hatchbacks; and Tundra pickups.

This is truly stunning.

Old 01-26-2010, 05:02 PM
Red
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

They must be very sensitive after being fined for failure to report incidents to NHTSA.

Old 01-26-2010, 06:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

I believe that there are 2 different recalls/problems.

1) The stacked floormats that can catch the gas pedal and keep it down

2) The non drive-by-wire throtle mechanisms that are having issues.

Since the TCH has a drive-by-wire, #2 is not in play.

Old 01-26-2010, 07:31 PM
lzc
Active Enthusiast

Right you are, BOFH.

Toyota's press release specifically excludes the TCH from the recall.

"No Lexus Division or Scion vehicles are affected by these actions. Also not affected are Toyota Prius, Tacoma, Sienna, Venza, Solara, Yaris, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser and select Camry models, including all Camry hybrids, which will remain for sale."

Old 01-26-2010, 07:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by BOFH
I believe that there are 2 different recalls/problems.

1) The stacked floormats that can catch the gas pedal and keep it down

2) The non drive-by-wire throtle mechanisms that are having issues.

Since the TCH has a drive-by-wire, #2 is not in play.
Is there any Toyota/Lexus/Scion passenger car that hasn't been DBW since at least 2005..??

Old 01-26-2010, 08:00 PM

Originally Posted by lzc
Right you are, BOFH.

Toyota's press release specifically excludes the TCH from the recall.

"No Lexus Division or Scion vehicles are affected by these actions. Also not affected are Toyota Prius, Tacoma, Sienna, Venza, Solara, Yaris, 4Runner, FJ Cruiser, Land Cruiser and select Camry models, including all Camry hybrids, which will remain for sale."

"..No Lexus Division.."

Yet the run-a-way engine incident that really brought this issue to the attention of the public was a relatively new ES350.

Methinks Toyota speaks with forked tonque....STILL.

Old 01-27-2010, 01:59 AM

The Toyota news site list which years. This site looks to have small text. If needed, try clicking your browsers View, then zoom feature.

http://pressroom.toyota.com/pr/tms/t...ry-102572.aspx

Old 01-27-2010, 06:49 AM
lzc
Active Enthusiast

>>Yet the run-a-way engine incident that really brought this issue to the attention of the public was a relatively new ES350. Me thinks Toyota speaks with forked tonque....STILL.

Yes, it was a ES350 and it was also the vehicle in which the accelerator pedal was found fused to the floor mats, mats that were the wrong ones for the vehicle. While NHTSA didn't rule out other causes, the mats were where the evidence pointed.

Toyota may have wanted this to be something simple, like mats, but it looks like they continued to look for other causes. Why would lying do them any good? Then, the problem continues, their image suffers, and the cost of a fix (and lawsuits) increases geometrically.

Old 01-27-2010, 08:08 AM

Originally Posted by lzc
>>Yet the run-a-way engine incident that really brought this issue to the attention of the public was a relatively new ES350. Me thinks Toyota speaks with forked tonque....STILL.

Yes, it was a ES350 and it was also the vehicle in which the accelerator pedal was found fused to the floor mats, mats that were the wrong ones for the vehicle. While NHTSA didn't rule out other causes, the mats were where the evidence pointed.

Toyota may have wanted this to be something simple, like mats, but it looks like they continued to look for other causes. Why would lying do them any good? Then, the problem continues, their image suffers, and the cost of a fix (and lawsuits) increases geometrically.
"...accelerator pedal was found..." "...fused.."

I haven't seen that published in any reports....

Besides which I find it vey hard to belief that particular driver wouldn't more quickly ascertain the cause were is simply the floor mats.

"...Why would lying do them any good..."

Lying often yeilds TONS of good....unless/until you are found out.

Quick Reply: Sales Halted and Production Stopped.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands