Sattelite antennae locations

Old 01-13-2007, 04:07 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Sattelite antennae locations

Hey all, after browsing a few forums looking for info on sattelite radio installs and the TCH, I would like to pass along my previous experiences dealing with sirius in two cars and now the TCH.

-------------------------

Hey in reference to antennae mounting locations:

I have had 2 other vehicles with Sirius installed 2 ways, 1 hardwired to the stereo, the other Fm modulated.

The hardwired stereo was a 2000 New Beetle GLS, the head unit was a kenwood, the receiver was also a kenwood box. The antenna was on the middle of the front dash. Reception was fine. I didn't need the antennae mounted on the roof. Reception was never an issue.

The second car I had sirius installed in was a 2005 Altima. I didn't want to lose my steering wheel controls so I went the Fm modulation route and used a kenwood home/car unit with a cradle. The Reception was mediocre at best, always had to switch the station on the fm, I had no sattelite reception issues whatsoever, placing the antennae in the back window shelf area. The antennae just sort of freely sat there, I never had a single problem with it.

My current car which I just received today, the TCH, I transfered the kenwood unit and cradle to the TCH from the Altima. Again I ran the wires to the back along the panels and under the seat, and again, no interference or reception issues. I placed the antennae on the back window shelf unattached to anything. It sounds just as good as the hardwired unit I have at home, and had in the beetle. I am using the aux input in the cubby hole, the kenwood unit has fm modulation turned off.

I mention all of this in case anyone is wondering if they really have to have the antennae on the outside of the vehicle, through a window seal. From my experience, this is totally unnecessary, and might make for easier installation.

Old 01-13-2007, 04:12 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Sattelite antennae locations

Hmmmmm - I've been disliking the location of my antenna - it's just above the passenger-side corner of the windshield. I thought it was fine, until I had to scrape a bunch of snow off of my car the other day. I almost scraped it off in the process.

Maybe, when my husband doesn't have anything better to do (yeah, right), I'll have him move it to the back. Thanks for the tip!

Old 01-13-2007, 06:12 PM
Enthusiast

For my XM install I thought that I had agreement with the dealer that the antenna would go on the roof -- but found it on the back inside window deck.

Actually it isn't bad --although my home city has an XM repeater (so it works in the garage too).

So, maybe the newer XM OEM radio has enough gain and error correction to work in the "sub-optimal" interior location.

Old 01-16-2007, 11:34 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by TCHconn
For my XM install I thought that I had agreement with the dealer that the antenna would go on the roof -- but found it on the back inside window deck.

Actually it isn't bad --although my home city has an XM repeater (so it works in the garage too).

So, maybe the newer XM OEM radio has enough gain and error correction to work in the "sub-optimal" interior location.
The Toyota factory/OEM installation instructions places the XM antenna on the rear deck inside the car on top of a ground plate. See page 10 of the attached factory install instructions, which were kindly provided by ts95403 in this thread:
https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ead.php?t=8347

Attached Files
File Type: pdf