Scan Gauge

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2007, 02:03 PM
Active Enthusiast
Question Scan Gauge

It appears from some of the information posted here that a Scan Guage or other such device would help provide info in improving fuel economy.

I have several questions:

1. Is the Scan Guage the best device out there?
2. If not, what do you recommend?
3. Do you have pictures showing where you mounted it?
4. How easy is it to connect to the TCH?

Old 07-05-2007, 05:17 PM
Active Enthusiast
Red face Re: Scan Gauge

I bought my scan gauge II on ebay, brand new, for 10 bucks less than they sell it on their website. It works great and is extremely easy to connect/install. It provides a digital instant economy reading, which is lacking in the TCH. I cant figure out why the toy engineers did not provide the same digital readouts and displays as the prius. The scan gauge provides the data and displays that are missing!

Old 07-05-2007, 06:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Scan Gauge

I bought my SG about 2 months ago hoping that it would give me practical sensing functions not available from the standard MFD. From driving the car I discovered that there were more modes of operation other than the EV mode that could boost FE (fuel-cut, energy re-circulation). What I find now after using this device is that it gives me interesting rather than practical information. Having one doesn't change the way I drive but it does give a more accurate (for the most part) readout of fuel economy.

It is very easy to connect. It plugs in undeneath the steering column. I run the wire through to the top of the column and that's where it sits. Someone had posted pictures of thier mounting but I couldn't find the link. I did a Google search one time but couldn't find a hybrid specific scanner. The SG has to be told that the car is a hybrid so that it doesn't go to sleep at every stop light.

-Ed

Old 07-06-2007, 07:48 PM
Recent Hybrid convert
Default Re: Scan Gauge

Originally Posted by LOL TCH
Someone had posted pictures of their mounting but I couldn't find the link.
That was squint ("Eric" from CO), in response my same question a while back. See Post#14 of https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ad.php?t=10919

I stopped using mine quite a while back, ... but now thinking of either putting it back on or selling it if anyone's interested (it is -- after all - hardly used!). Don't get me wrong, I do think it's a great asset/addition but it became a distraction for me: Having no NAV, I just got too fixated on that darn [digital display] trip MPG reading.