ScanGauge II - where's a good place to put it?

Old 11-09-2006, 10:55 AM
SPL
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: ScanGauge II - where's a good place to put it?

ScanGaugeII will not allow you to reprogram the TCH's internal settings.

It can, however, report the normal Diagnostic Trouble Codes (DTCs) from the OBDII port with its associated Freeze Frame Data, and also erase the DTCs. It has the ability to memorize 10 customized query code strings to be sent to the on-board computer — but you have to know the strings to send. It stores trip information for the current trip (since the last start), for today, for yesterday, and also cumulative data for the current tank of gas. This trip information includes not just the distance travelled, fuel used, average fuel consumption, etc., but also maximum coolant temperature reached, maximum speed, etc. This is much more versatile than the TCH's readouts.

For me, the reason for purchase was to be able to have a real-time display of various sensor readings, so that I can see what's going on with the ICE. One can display, amongst other items, ICE rpm, ICE % load, water temperature, fuel usage per hour rather than per distance, etc. This has helped me understand what the ICE is doing at different times. The fuel economy readout spans a much greater range than the dashboard display.

Stan

Old 11-09-2006, 10:36 PM
Recent Hybrid convert

SPL - thanks for the reply! I guess I'll keep mine on top of the steering column as well for now, unless someone comes up with a better idea...

brick - a big 'Thanks' to you too! On top of the dash would work as well (save for the 'tackiness' factor, but I can easily get past that), however if/when you ever get your TCH you'll likely get a new tendency to look "down" more often than before -- glancing at that darn OEM multi-info display! (along with your usual speedometer checks) [yes, it's not the safest practice, but that's not relevant right now]. Anyhow, the point is that putting the SG on the dash would only mean yet another diff't area to fix your gaze upon instead of on the road, especially if you're trying to quickly 'move' back & forth in between the SG-II and the OEM display.

Last edited by HybridFan; 11-09-2006 at 10:43 PM.
Old 11-09-2006, 10:43 PM
Recent Hybrid convert

Originally Posted by ag4ever
I have been thinking about getting one just for the additional items that HybridFan mentioned. Knowing what RPM the engine is running at and what kind of load it is under are things that I am interested in.
ag4ever - There should be a PM in your inbox on this, unless you've turned off that feature in your CP.

Last edited by HybridFan; 12-13-2006 at 12:28 PM.
Old 03-11-2007, 05:03 AM
Malcontent

This is how I mounted mine.

The cable goes into the crevice between the lower half of the dash and the steering column. There, the excess cable is coiled up and then connects to the OBD2 connector. All of this takes place behind the lower dash so the only exposed cable is that which you see in the pictures.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:05 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

And I thought cell phones were a distraction.

Old 03-12-2007, 06:42 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by schmidtj
And I thought cell phones were a distraction.
Ya, I am surprised not to see a hugh chrome bullet shaped tachometer sitting top the dash and the pom poms from the mirrior. ROTFFLMAO

Old 03-12-2007, 09:09 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Lets face it... With all the Do-Dads, Bells, Whistles, Widgets and screens in these cars - it's amazing that more of us have not been involved in wrecks..

I'm planning on getting one of these too!

Old 03-12-2007, 09:17 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Thankyou for single handedly driving up the collision rates on MY car insurance.

Old 03-12-2007, 04:24 PM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Thankyou for single handedly driving up the collision rates on MY car insurance.
Don't mention it... Just doing my part you know...

Old 03-16-2007, 10:45 PM
Recent Hybrid convert

Originally Posted by Squint
[..]The cable goes into the crevice between the lower half of the dash and the steering column. There, the excess cable is coiled up and then connects to the OBD2 connector. All of this takes place behind the lower dash so the only exposed cable is that which you see in the pictures.
< PICTURES >
Eric, thanks for the great pics! That's exactly how I had mine since back in Nov (see earlier post entry) when Stan/SPL suggested it. Same deal with "hiding" the cable within that crevice, but rather than "coiling" the excess part I just tucked it INSIDE the steering wheel cover at the bottom, then back out the other side close to the OBD2 connector : no danger of getting tangled in it while driving.

As for the sticky velcro, no need: the unit stays on pretty well w/o it as well.

As for pom-poms hanging on the mirror, I prefer those fluffy dice. LOL.

PS: actually, I've taken my SGII down as of late: the commute is very much routine these days, so I already know what numbers to expect at what point of the trip(s) and the 'thrill' of watching all those diff't gauges has worn off a bit. I just enjoy the car & let it do what it does best, my overall driving style has already improved enough since my pre-HSD days... I love this car!

Last edited by HybridFan; 03-16-2007 at 11:51 PM.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ScanGauge II - where's a good place to put it?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands