ScanGauge II - where's a good place to put it?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2007, 06:14 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons
Default Re: ScanGauge II - where's a good place to put it?

HybridFan - If you want to sell your SG, please let me know..

Thanks!

Old 03-17-2007, 06:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Has anybody found anyplace to buy this unit other than the web page. Are there better prices out there other than $169 list ? None are even listed on eBay - which I find quite surprising.

Old 03-17-2007, 08:41 AM
Malcontent

Originally Posted by HybridFan
Eric, thanks for the great pics! That's exactly how I had mine since back in Nov (see earlier post entry) when Stan/SPL suggested it. Same deal with "hiding" the cable within that crevice, but rather than "coiling" the excess part I just tucked it INSIDE the steering wheel cover at the bottom, then back out the other side close to the OBD2 connector : no danger of getting tangled in it while driving.

As for the sticky velcro, no need: the unit stays on pretty well w/o it as well.

As for pom-poms hanging on the mirror, I prefer those fluffy dice. LOL.

PS: actually, I've taken my SGII down as of late: the commute is very much routine these days, so I already know what numbers to expect at what point of the trip(s) and the 'thrill' of watching all those diff't gauges has worn off a bit. I just enjoy the car & let it do what it does best, my overall driving style has already improved enough since my pre-HSD days... I love this car!
It's funny because when I first got it, I thought it was just not going to mount cleanly anywhere. Then when I actually tried to find a good place for it, I was surprised at how well it worked out.

My FE is changing a lot right now from 32-35 mpg during the coldest, snowiest days last winter up to 55 mpg for the same commute this spring. I'll be installing a block heater soon and for next winter I may try to come up with some kind of adjustable grill block so monitoring coolant and air intake temperature will be useful.

I find that I look at the SG2 now instead of the built-in displays. My base TCH's trip FE graph only goes up to 42 mpg as we all know and the speedometer isn't accurate (3% off). I adjusted the SG2's speed to match my GPS. I find that I read the SG2's display faster than the analog speedometer so each glance down at the SG2 is probably shorter than glancing at the built-in gauges.

Old 03-17-2007, 10:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KC Rusty
Has anybody found anyplace to buy this unit other than the web page. Are there better prices out there other than $169 list ? None are even listed on eBay - which I find quite surprising.
Rusty,

Head over to PriusChat.com. They've been holding a group buy for SG II. (There's a link to it near the top of the page.) Price: $149 free shipping to U.S. (and Canada, I believe.) Payment preferred: GOOGLE Pay (or whatever it's called).

Old 07-16-2007, 04:32 PM
Enthusiast

over the rear view mirror may work...and looks great.
mgtmotorsports.com

Old 07-18-2007, 01:47 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I have not received my new TCH just yet. I have used the ScanGauge II on 3 cars I have owned. So far I have simply placed it between the tack and speedometer. It does sometimes block the idle portion of the tack which don't really matter. I hope this week my new TCH should arrive. I will try to mount the gauge in the 'easy to read' area.

I really like this SG. I found the SG can show 4 readings at one time. Water temp, gallons per hour, throttle position, engine load. It can also read out the voltage of the 12 volt battery. Once calibrated it will give you your correct speed. The gauge also has a tack display to show your rpm. To change any display, you simply press any of the four display buttons till you get to the readout you want.

I like watching the 'engine load'. Seeing, 50 is a level highway. Anything under 50 is downgrade, coast or glide. At 50 or above is upgrade. I have places in town and coast 1/3 mile to a red light. On the highway out to our house where I can coast a 1/4 mile to our turnoff.

All three of the last gas engine cars I have owned get 1 to 4 mpg 'combined' mpg higher than above the factory sticker displayed highway gas mileage. The 2006 Ford 500, V6. I consistantly get 31 comb, 35 highway. The sticker shows 21/29. Thank you scan gauge for teaching me to drive for better gas mileage. I'm sure looking forward to seeing what I can do with the new hybrid. Thats once it's broke-in at approximately 5000 miles or more.

Old 07-18-2007, 02:29 AM
Enthusiast
Default Patience?

Just so you know,
In a couple months (don't quote me), the ScanGaugeII will be able to read Tranny Temperature. You may want to wait, or bargain hunt now for the soon-2-b older version.
fg

Old 01-04-2011, 01:00 PM
Active Enthusiast

I know this may seem like a dumb question, but what is the actual location of the OBD-II port on the 2009 TCH?

I am planning to get this item when it comes out. http://www.griffintechnology.com/products/cartrip

Old 01-04-2011, 01:19 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The OBD-II port on my 2007 TCH is just in front of my right knee, under the edge of the dash. I found mine by using a mirror and flashlight. I seems like it had plastic dust cover over it. Pull that open on one side to expose the connector.

Last edited by rburt07; 01-04-2011 at 09:50 PM.
Old 01-06-2011, 02:07 PM
2009TCH w/NAV bought 4/08

Now if only they had codes to display the battery info like they have for the Prius :-(

Last time I contacted them, they said they would work on it if they could get a hold of a TCH. Anyone in Arizona want to help them out?

Quick Reply: ScanGauge II - where's a good place to put it?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands