Side View Mirror Add-On

Old 05-29-2007, 11:22 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Side View Mirror Add-On

I am considering adding a small stick-on mirror to my driver's side outside mirror to minimize the blind spot. Has anybody done this on their TCH yet? Does the heated mirror affect the stick on mirror or vice versa?

Old 05-29-2007, 01:06 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Side View Mirror Add-On

I did this on my former car, an Avalon, also with heated mirrors. Never had a problem with stickiness.

I have not got around to doing this on my TCH yet, but probably will. I prefer the little round ones (about 2" ??) over the little rectangular ones, but I am open to either I guess.

I believe they really help. I have an ongoing disagreement with my wife about positioning of the mirrors anyways: I think they should pick up where your center mirror leaves off, and NOT show any part of the side of your car (why do I want to see a bunch of *stationary* sheet metal?). She needs to see the side of the car for a reference against other vehicles.

Last edited by abward; 05-29-2007 at 01:11 PM.
Old 05-29-2007, 01:33 PM

My wife is the exact same way. I cannot convince her that she's better off minimizing the size of her blind spot. She wants to see the side of her own car....

Old 05-29-2007, 05:03 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Consumer Reports published a simple procedure for adjusting side view mirrors.

Lean slightly to the left and adjust the left mirror so you can "just" see the left side of the car.
Lean slightly to the right and adjust the right mirror so you can "just" see the right side of the car.

Works for me.

Old 05-29-2007, 05:47 PM
Active Enthusiast

Put one on mine. Great little rectangle that catches those sneaky creepers in the left lane at times. I set it on the inside lower part of the mirror. I believe the heating element is around the center of the mirror so you should have no issues if the tape is good.

Old 05-30-2007, 10:07 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

I refuse to cover up a portion of my mirror with another one. If the side view mirrors are adjusted correctly, you should not need a spot mirror at all.
Tom & Ray Magliozzi brought this to my attention. Many people tend to use the side view mirrors as rear view mirrors. The mirrors should be positioned so you see things that are not seen in the rear view mirror.
Check out the instructions for positioning your mirrors. If this procedure is followed, you don't need a stick on mirror!

http://www.cartalk.com/content/featu...ors/step1.html

Old 05-30-2007, 01:29 PM

Originally Posted by wilsons66604
I refuse to cover up a portion of my mirror with another one. If the side view mirrors are adjusted correctly, you should not need a spot mirror at all.
Tom & Ray Magliozzi brought this to my attention. Many people tend to use the side view mirrors as rear view mirrors. The mirrors should be positioned so you see things that are not seen in the rear view mirror.
Check out the instructions for positioning your mirrors. If this procedure is followed, you don't need a stick on mirror!

http://www.cartalk.com/content/featu...ors/step1.html
I have already positioned my mirrors correctly, and I have for years. Nonetheless, I notice that I still have a blind spot that I didn't have in my previous car ('99 Passat). So I am considering a small extra mirror for the first time in 25 years of driving.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:09 PM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

I've found that the passenger side mirror IS a blind spot! While sitting at a stop sign, I can't see oncoming traffic to the right because the mirror is in the way.

Old 05-30-2007, 02:29 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by bmgoodman
I am considering adding a small stick-on mirror to my driver's side outside mirror to minimize the blind spot. Has anybody done this on their TCH yet? Does the heated mirror affect the stick on mirror or vice versa?
During a recent trip from Raleigh, NC to Boston, I almost hit another car while changing lanes. When I got home, I promptly went to Advance Auto and got a stick on mirror for about $2.00. I find it a big help...

Hasn't been cold enough to use the heated mirrors, but I don't anticipate any problems.

Old 05-30-2007, 03:19 PM
Active Enthusiast

The mirror adjustment works well. But.... it doesn't take into account the other "NASCAR" drivers that want to hug your draft.

Even this little mirror has been a saving factor a time or two. I'll keep it on just for those "instances" where I can't relay solely on my own good judgement.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Side View Mirror Add-On

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands