Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   Side window deflectors/visors - Toyota or Weathertech? (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/side-window-deflectors-visors-toyota-weathertech-10899/)

leepark 11-06-2006 04:29 PM

Side window deflectors/visors - Toyota or Weathertech?

Does anybody have the (genuine) Toyota or Weathertech side window deflectors/visors? Any other better brands? How does it install (adhesive or ?)? How is the quality? Is lighter or darker tint better on a Silver TCH w. no tint on windows? Just trying to figure out if they'll look ok on my TCH, and which (Toyota or Weathertech) is better. Pictures would be appreciated.

DBS 11-06-2006 04:53 PM

Re: Side window deflectors/visors - Toyota or Weathertech?

I would also like to know if you noticed any increase in wind noise after an install.

leepark 11-06-2006 08:11 PM

nobody has either?

TorontoTCH 11-07-2006 11:49 AM

I ordered a set from local Toyota dealership.
They are in smoke colour. Installation is very easy, just peel off the back tape and stick on the window frame (adhesive).

My TCH is Gold colour with 35% tinted in front and 10% at rear. And they look great.

Quality... I have the same type on my 2005 Sienna as well as 1998 GS300. And they last thru all cloth or touchless car wash.

I did not check other brands or sites since I got 15% discount from my Toyota dealership which costs around Cdn$14X.xx with taxes.

Originally Posted by leepark
Does anybody have the (genuine) Toyota or Weathertech side window deflectors/visors? Any other better brands? How does it install (adhesive or ?)? How is the quality? Is lighter or darker tint better on a Silver TCH w. no tint on windows? Just trying to figure out if they'll look ok on my TCH, and which (Toyota or Weathertech) is better. Pictures would be appreciated.

Ian 11-07-2006 04:29 PM

Do they help reducing the wind noise on highway speed?

leepark 11-07-2006 04:36 PM

I'm leaning towards not getting on my TCH because: 1. I don't want to "tape" anything on the exterior, thus Toyota product is out; 2. I hear the rear window Weathertech deflectors are a huge pain in the butt to install, not to mention the metal clips you have to attach (which don't really hold well). Some have reported leaks due to improper installation of the clips. That being said, the Weathertech are suppose to be great. I really wanted them so I could crack open the windows on rainy days...

DBS 11-07-2006 07:18 PM

TorontoTCH,
Do the tape onto the outside of the window frame or do they tape on the inside of the window channel next to the glass? Thanks. Don

Big-Foot 11-07-2006 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Ian
Do they help reducing the wind noise on highway speed?

What wind noise? Even with my windows open, this car is the quietest car I've ever owned...

Actually - I was even more amazed at the sunroof's lack of noise and typical buffeting found in most cars.

Ian 11-07-2006 08:59 PM

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
What wind noise? Even with my windows open, this car is the quietest car I've ever owned...

Actually - I was even more amazed at the sunroof's lack of noise and typical buffeting found in most cars.

Hi Big foot.
Probably it is because the car is too quiet.. that when I am traveling on highways, there is always some wind noise coming in from the window.

TorontoTCH 11-08-2006 05:55 AM

The tape is on the outside of the window (door frame).
1 of Weathertech model is put 'in-channel' which I try to stay away with them.
If you measure the thickness of the Hybrid glasses, it is a bit thicker than regular Camry (LE or SE). However, the window channel stay the same. In-channel type will reduce the space and windown MAY not roll-up to the position Toyota expected. Even the window tinting company found out that last week when they try to fit the top and bottom portion. It help to reduce any noise from outside to the cabin.

Originally Posted by DBS
TorontoTCH,
Do the tape onto the outside of the window frame or do they tape on the inside of the window channel next to the glass? Thanks. Don