Smart Key question, please

Search this Thread

Old 05-03-2007, 10:05 AM
Enthusiast
Default Smart Key question, please

By design, our Smart Key opens only the Driver's Door when the Driver's door handle is grasped first. All doors unlock when the Front Passenger's door handle is grapsped first. Is there any way to have all doors unlock when the Driver's door handle is grasped first? (we are trying to prove our service guy wrong ) thanks!

Old 05-03-2007, 10:15 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Smart Key question, please

http://www.toyotaiguide.com/content/07Camry/iGuide.htm

Go to the keys and doors section, then to the smart key/remote keyless entry functions, and finally to the program door unlocking.

Hope this helps.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Yes. This is one feature you can actually reprogram yourself! I don't have the owners manual in front of me, but I know the directions for doing this can be found there.

Old 05-03-2007, 10:32 AM
Enthusiast

thanks rjivey and klynch; I will try this when my wife gets home; we thought that function applies only to the wireless remote key . . .

Old 05-03-2007, 10:49 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Peter32
By design, our Smart Key opens only the Driver's Door when the Driver's door handle is grasped first. All doors unlock when the Front Passenger's door handle is grapsped first. Is there any way to have all doors unlock when the Driver's door handle is grasped first? (we are trying to prove our service guy wrong ) thanks!
You'll also see my answer to your question on the Edmunds forums

Old 05-03-2007, 11:36 AM
Active Enthusiast

BTW, since you're actually reprogramming the fob and not the car, I think you have to reprogram each fob. Otherwise, it'll work for one and not the other.

I've only reprogrammed one of mine since the other one never gets used. Can anyone else confirm this for me?

Old 05-03-2007, 11:47 AM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by klynch
BTW, since you're actually reprogramming the fob and not the car, I think you have to reprogram each fob. Otherwise, it'll work for one and not the other.

I've only reprogrammed one of mine since the other one never gets used. Can anyone else confirm this for me?
All the programming is on the car as to what actions are taken, it is fob independent. The only specific fob programming is simply getting the car to recognize each fob as valid.

Old 05-03-2007, 01:35 PM
Enthusiast

Droid 13 is correct. I was able to re-program our Smart Key and it works with both keys. My wife is delighted with this change; now she can open rear driver-side door without fishing for her key or opening driver's door and hitting the unlock switch. We both have advanced degrees but were reading the manual wrong, but we don't feel so stupid since our Toyota Guy said it couldn't be done. Thank you all and thank you GreenHybrid!

Old 05-03-2007, 02:04 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Peter32
thanks rjivey and klynch; I will try this when my wife gets home; we thought that function applies only to the wireless remote key . . .
I'm confused. Is the "wireless remote key" and the "smart key" two different things? Maybe that is why I can't get my sunroof to open via the FOB.

Old 05-03-2007, 04:40 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by chris_h
I'm confused. Is the "wireless remote key" and the "smart key" two different things? Maybe that is why I can't get my sunroof to open via the FOB.
You CAN open the sunroof with the FOB. Just grasp the FOB with your thumb and one opposing finger and press the sunroof button with the FOB.

Works every time.

Quick Reply: Smart Key question, please

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands