Smart Key System - 2012 Camry

Search this Thread

Old 01-28-2013, 12:02 PM
Enthusiast
Default Smart Key System - 2012 Camry

The one thing that confuses me on my Camry is the SmartKey system.

Currently, it likes to unlock all the doors at certain times. But, for security reasons, I really only want door to unlock when a passenger either wants to exit the car, or the driver wants to let passengers into the car.

I am curious as to how people have set the automatic lock and unlock functions on their cars.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:12 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Smart Key System - 2012 Camry

Unfortunately, I've found no setting which is ideal for me. Like you, I don't like all the doors to unlock automatically when you place the car in Park -- the normal mode of operation. I've set mine to lock the doors when shifting out of Park (see section 6-2 of the manual -- Customization), but not unlock when shifting into Park. This works OK for the driver and front passenger, where the doors automatically unlock if necessary if you pull on the door lever, but not for the rear passengers, who must either manually unlock their doors, or depend on the driver (or front passenger) to do so for them. And, I never remember to do so, so it becomes an issue whenever anyone rides in the back seat. The other option is to disable all auto-lock/unlock functions, but I rather like the auto-lock feature, and there is no one in the back seat 95% of the time, so I leave it on. If anyone has a better solution, I'm all ears.

Old 01-28-2013, 12:21 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Iconoclast
The one thing that confuses me on my Camry is the SmartKey system.

Currently, it likes to unlock all the doors at certain times. But, for security reasons, I really only want door to unlock when a passenger either wants to exit the car, or the driver wants to let passengers into the car.

I am curious as to how people have set the automatic lock and unlock functions on their cars.
As far as I know my '07 TCH I had and now the new '12 TCH I drive, all 4 doors unlock when I press the button on the drivers door side or with the keybob.

You might try checking the kid-locks on each of the the rear doors to see if they are up, released or down, locked.

Open each of the rear doors and just inside the door latch you will see the child lock lever. Default is up, move it down on both rear doors and they should stay locked even though you press the button to open the two front doors.

I may be way off from what you asking but this is sometimes overlooked if someone has moved the levers from default which is up.

Last edited by rburt07; 01-28-2013 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 12:44 PM
Enthusiast

[quote=restamp;246725] I've set mine to lock the doors when shifting out of Park (see section 6-2 of the manual -- Customization), but not unlock when shifting into Park. /quote]

I tried that but nothing seems to happen. Is there some secret to getting it to work? The instructions seem simple enough, but as far as I can tell nothing is happening.

Last edited by Iconoclast; 01-28-2013 at 02:58 PM.
Old 01-28-2013, 06:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

I've just left the gear selected lock/unlock as it came from the factory. Have never found it to be a problem. I don't mind that it unlocks when you put it in park.

However, I disliked the standard setup where the hand touch on the driver's door handle only unlocked the driver's door. I used the customization described in the SmartKey section of the manual to change it so all doors unlock. If my memory serves, the procedure is not described in the customization section, just in the SmartKey section.

I also disliked the delayed headlights off feature. I used the Customization instructions with the Display Audio screen to kill the delayed off. The car is often not "running" when I enter the garage, and it never seemed to be clear that I had turned it off. Now I see the headlights go off as soon as I open the door. That and a check of the clock to see that it is dark is what I use to convince myself it is really off and is not going to start and drive away after I leave it!!