snow tires

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2008, 02:32 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default snow tires

I was hoping to get away without them but could not take the risk.

I shopped around and was deciding between the michelin ice-x2, and the michelin primacy alpine3

One is H-rated and the other is T-rated

I went to tire rack and they have excellent reviews on the alpine3 and it was about $120 each plus $15 for road hazard then shipping and finally installation and balance.

Just happened to call my local costco and they want $135 installed and balanced including free road hazard, and it appears for this week they give $60 off a set of 4, so with tax in you are out the door for $524 complete.

This works to $131 a tire installed balanced tax and road hazard and michelin even has a free mail in rebate for a emergency kit which they claim is valued at 80 bucks until the 15th.

Only thing I noticed is that the primacy alpine3 are rated 99h for load, which is defined as xl or extra load handling, although they are rated to a max air pressure of 50 psi.

Any one else have any thought on a dedicated snow/winter tire

Old 11-13-2008, 03:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: snow tires

Check out the Nokian WRG2 - all season, but quite good in snow, and a LRR tire too. rating link

For a dedicated snow, I think the Nokian Hakkapeliitta R is possibly the best one out there. rating link CanadianDriver Review

Last edited by nash; 11-13-2008 at 05:55 PM.
Old 11-13-2008, 05:54 PM

We bought the Michelin Alpin PA3 after MANY hours reviewing online. Should be putting on next week. Will follow-up once they have a few winter miles on them. Went through Tire Rack. Got the emergency kit from Michelin within 10 days. Nice kit, if you don't already have one.

Old 11-13-2008, 07:33 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by 50th Anniversary Camry
We bought the Michelin Alpin PA3 after MANY hours reviewing online. Should be putting on next week. Will follow-up once they have a few winter miles on them. Went through Tire Rack. Got the emergency kit from Michelin within 10 days. Nice kit, if you don't already have one.

I went with the alpine3, I could not resist the price, write ups and the costco reputation. So far a little over 300 clicks and mileage about 1-2 mpg hit. I am running these at 40 psi which is what I ran the factory michelins at.

Old 11-14-2008, 06:44 AM

I went with the Primacy Alpin PA3 last winter. It's a great tire.

Old 11-14-2008, 11:02 AM
Enthusiast

I just put on the Nokian WRG2s and love them, far superior to the Bridgestones (completely shot at 25k). It’s like a totally different car! I had the Nokian WR tires on an Acura TL as winter tires and they are superb in snow, wet and ice. I intend to keep them on year around on the TCH as they are and all weather LRR tire.

Old 11-17-2008, 11:11 AM

Randy,

Do you run those Primacy Alpin's all year round, or do you swap them out for summer tires?

I see tirerack.com offers them right now for CHEAP. I am just wondering whether it would be OK to use them year round, or get some steel wheels to mount them on.

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires....m=16HR6PRPA3XL

Old 11-17-2008, 12:05 PM
Active Enthusiast

That is a great price on the Alpin PA3, but if you are in Canada, Costco is still a better deal. (Tire Rack delivered in CAD$ ~$1200, includes shipping duty fees and taxes, on steel rims, Costco ~$1060, includes taxes, mounted on the car on new steel rims)

Costco installed mine yesterday. Now to find some hubcaps...

Old 11-18-2008, 06:22 PM
HSD Organic Interface

Originally Posted by BOFH
That is a great price on the Alpin PA3, but if you are in Canada, Costco is still a better deal. (Tire Rack delivered in CAD$ ~$1200, includes shipping duty fees and taxes, on steel rims, Costco ~$1060, includes taxes, mounted on the car on new steel rims)

Costco installed mine yesterday. Now to find some hubcaps...
I'm getting the same tires from Costco shortly. Now that you've had a few days, how do you like their steel rims? No problems with vibration or any other issues?

Old 11-19-2008, 07:16 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Droid13
I'm getting the same tires from Costco shortly. Now that you've had a few days, how do you like their steel rims? No problems with vibration or any other issues?
NO, no problems with vibrations. I would have rather had a styled wheel, even steel just for the looks, but so few people here do anything to cover up the black steel rims that I just blend in.

Does anyone sell wheel covers that don't have the fake lug nuts on them (cheap)?

Quick Reply: snow tires

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands