Are Snow Tires Needed For TCH

Search this Thread

Old 11-29-2007, 05:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Are Snow Tires Needed For TCH

Wow, did not know that (Oregon, Idaho, Washington (parts) and NY), but having driven with both studded tires and non studded snow tires. I have to say the non studded snow tires performed better in most situations and on dry payments, there was no comparison. I can only see using studded tires in those areas where the pavment is white during the winter month. On dry pavment, the noise alone would drive me mad.

Old 11-30-2007, 11:06 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by livvie
Wow, did not know that (Oregon, Idaho, Washington (parts) and NY), but having driven with both studded tires and non studded snow tires. I have to say the non studded snow tires performed better in most situations and on dry payments, there was no comparison. I can only see using studded tires in those areas where the pavment is white during the winter month. On dry pavment, the noise alone would drive me mad.
I agree. Years ago, I used to use studded tires, but then switched to studless when they became more affordable. Studless snow tires work very well, and I could keep them on after the state mandated studded tire removal date. I also dislike the sound of studs on asphalt. If we do end up getting a bit of snow here, I will likely opt for a set of studless snow tires.

As of yet (doomed words I am sure) we haven't really had any snow or ice. Driving from Redmond to Bend, Oregon, (a 15 mile trip) the road crews have sprayed de-icer on the main highway. Traction control has kicked in a few times, but only after starting from a stop on side roads. The car came with Bridgestones, and after having those on my former Tundra, I am not all impressed.

Thank you everyone for the information you posted. It helps to read what other people are experiencing. If I do go with a snow tire, I will likely go with one of the tires mentioned in this thread. I used to be a Les Schwab only buyer, but they don't always carry the tires I want.

Here's to a safe driving holiday season.
Jason

Old 12-02-2007, 10:31 AM

Well, I guess I'm about to find out how effective my new winter tires are. Forecasts are for 30+ cm in Ottawa in the next 24 hours. I think I'll go to bed for the next 6 months.

Old 12-03-2007, 02:18 AM
blahhhhhh!

Originally Posted by rmorrow
Well, I guess I'm about to find out how effective my new winter tires are. Forecasts are for 30+ cm in Ottawa in the next 24 hours. I think I'll go to bed for the next 6 months.
UGH! Here too! I use whether or not my local school district is closed to determine whether or not I go to work. Yep, it's closed Today's probably not the best day for me to work on getting snow tires, huh??

Old 12-03-2007, 05:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KTLane
UGH! Here too! I use whether or not my local school district is closed to determine whether or not I go to work. Yep, it's closed Today's probably not the best day for me to work on getting snow tires, huh??
Be safe if you do it...but maybe its a day to do some testing of the need for snow tires. I'm a former snow country resident and generally enjoyedFWD winter driving (at least I didn't fear it)...and never owned snow tires on my '85 or '93 Camrys. Now in FL, rain driving is my primary concern and my car may never see the snow. Good Luck!

Old 12-03-2007, 06:11 AM

Well, I just completed my drive in through the <first> 15 cm of this snowfall. I honestly can't say how much of it was the snow tires and how much was the car (although I'm guessing the tires helped substantially), but I was amazed at how easily I got through. I passed at least a dozen cars stuck in the snow, spinning their wheels. I had no problem - even taking off from a dead stop at slippery, snow-covered intersections - even driving through those huge walls of snow that the plows leave behind. And incredibly enough, my FE for the trip went up! Probably had something to do with the fact that I could drive 30 KPH without the cars behind me honking their horns. What a fantastic car!

Old 12-03-2007, 06:27 AM
blahhhhhh!

I didn't even bother getting dressed for work today, as I soon discovered every school in the county was closed. It's not even snowing now... bah!

rmorrow - I don't remember if I read in a previous post, what kind of snow tires do you have?

Old 12-03-2007, 06:46 AM

Originally Posted by KTLane
I didn't even bother getting dressed for work today, as I soon discovered every school in the county was closed. It's not even snowing now... bah!

rmorrow - I don't remember if I read in a previous post, what kind of snow tires do you have?
Michelin Primacy Alpins.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:28 AM
Old Boomer Techie
Thumbs up Re: Are Snow Tires Needed For TCH

Originally Posted by FastMover
The Primacy Alpin I posted is a studless snow tire. I also ski at Crystal a little and also White Pass. Based on short experience during the thanksgiving holiday this year and much higher up on the passes, they are much better than the Energy M+S tires in ice or slush. The FE is pretty good too -- they seem to cost me only about 1 MPG based on tank to tank with the Energy at about the same temperatures and running the same commute (mostly on wet pavement of course). I havn't used them in cold snow yet, too early in the season.
Snow report:

I used them over the last four days (two days off plus the weekend) and crossed Blewett Pass to take in the Leavenworh Christmas Festival. We drove back in snow and under freezing temps, and the Alpin's worked great. There is no doubt whatsoever I would have had to chain up with the OEM Michleins that came on the TCH.

Pass Conditions at the time: 29 degrees F with patchy snow and ice on the roadway (Plows were working) and 11-18 inch base on off-road terrain. Winds blowing in excess of 25 miles per hour according to the advisory signs at the chainup stations.

Speeds were in the 35-40 miles per hour range most of the time, with some slower spots. FE was down to about 34 MPG in the mountains (not to surprising at those speeds). No sideway slipping and almost no tracton control. It did come on twice when transiting some ice patches at around 35 MPH.

Old 12-03-2007, 10:40 AM
TCH 2007 newbie May 07

Michelin X-Ice here, mounted on extra wheels, TY Tirerack NJ. These are directionals sold in sets of four. A bit louder than the OEM's, but only if listening for it. Handling is very close to straight A/S.

34/32 F/R lbs. Although I just mounted them onto the car, my driving over the last two days shows no mileage penalty AFAICT. Strangely, it seems easier to pick up a tenth or two without trying quite as much.

Previous car was an AWD turbo Subuaru which couldn't stop worth a darn with the high-perf factory tires on glazy roads. Scary, like toboganning downhill without brakes. But all other foul weather handling was alright. I used to leave hundreds of feet whenever possible in front of me.

The smooth tread appearance of the OEM Michelin LRR's that came with the TCH did not inspire confidence in me for when it gets wild and wooly this winter.

Quick Reply: Are Snow Tires Needed For TCH

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands