Squeaking in the center console - mine is b-a-a-a-a-a-ck...

Search this Thread

Old 11-11-2006, 01:19 AM
Recent Hybrid convert
Default Squeaking in the center console - "it's b-a-a-a-a-a-ck..."

Yes, I could tack on yet another post to the main/original thread (https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/squeaking-in-the-center-console.7908.html) but it seemed to get rather long for new forum members joining as of late... so here's a summary (with potentially some pertinent omissions, so my apologies beforehand):

There were a couple of good suggestions for getting rid of the the center console's squeaking (which about half of the TCH owners were reporting, per an earlier poll). These included:
  • Posts #27 & #30 (flopshot) --> greaet attempt, but not quite enough in the end... the "crickets having sex" (as fullofbeans coined it later on) eventually came back.<
  • Post #43 (Nash) --> variation on the theme, this time using silicone grease.<
  • Post #63 (lovekills) --> another good description, mostly based on flopshot's original approach but with some twists (note: there were also quite a few other variants throughout the thread, mostly dealing with the type of "filler" material)<
  • Post #136 (bernt) --> brought it to the dealer & introduced a new idea: the culprit could be the clear sub-assembly underneath the shift cover plate itself instead of the actual cover plate's "fit". See: https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ion.10576.html. Unfortunately there were no pictures or "first-hand" evidence so the description/solution was not well defined as yet.<
  • Posts #141 and #143 (martinmzfan) --> a new "do it yourself" approach, this time based on the clear sub-assembly instead of the shift cover plate (as with #136).<
After a several of trials and errors, I ultimatelly ended up following both major methods (pads in between console & plate, and weatherstripping the two small "joints" on the clear sub-assembly).

The fix worked wonderfully!!!.... that is, until today -- just 2 weeks later, when I heard it faintly coming back... louder and louder as the day went by.

Mind you, we just got a "hot spell" here in South TX today: it was in the mid-80's again, and quite humid... so it could be all related to the weather.

Has anyone else had the noise come back after the fix(es) above? Does anyone have an alternate method not mentioned in the original thread? I'm getting desperate and wondering what will happen once the fall/winter season is over.

Last edited by HybridFan; 11-11-2006 at 08:03 AM. Reason: mainly typo's (and there may be more)
Old 11-11-2006, 06:55 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Squeaking in the center console - mine is b-a-a-a-a-a-ck...

Currently at 5,500 miles. I fixed squeek several thousand miles ago (at about 2,500 miles), with the small round felt pads, and it is still quiet. We have also had warm temps, mid 80s, and no squeek.

Last edited by jbollt; 11-11-2006 at 07:15 AM.
Old 11-11-2006, 02:24 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Squeaking in the center console - "it's b-a-a-a-a-a-ck..."

I had the dealer add foam per martinmzfan's pics: https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/image2104.html and https://www.greenhybrid.com/share/image2103.html. My dealer did this a few days ago and the crickets are wonderfully silent. Now, even if I give a small sideways push on the center console, I get no noise. Will it last? Not sure, but I'll keep you updated.

Old 11-11-2006, 06:10 PM
Toyota & Mazda Enthusiast

Hi everyone! I'm exstatic that my pics came in handy -- even for dealers!! The parts do not really have to be replaced. Guys, after several attempts at pinpointing the source of plastic squeaks in the cover sub-assmebly, I found extra troublespots:

1) at the clear plastic assembly "legs" on both sides -- add foam
2) about 1 inch to the right of the bottom clips, the clear assembly rubs against the cover above the corner -- near beveled/curved section -- add foam

The clear sub-assembly is doing us all in! It expands and contracts with temperature extremes and is not firmly clamped (by friction fit) in the gear cover assembly. My repair is successful. DON'T GIVE UP!!!%&^*%^&%

Sorry, I would have posted updated photos showing the other troublespots but did not feel like taking the cover off again! Lazy me!

Last edited by martinmzfan; 11-13-2006 at 07:54 PM.
Old 11-11-2006, 09:42 PM
Electricity Guzzler

Mating season has returned. My amorous crickets are back. I have an appt. for this Fri. I'm taking it to another dealer. This dealer goofed up trying to fix a rattle I have near the right speaker in the dash. this will be my 7th visit back to the dealer to get warranty fixes on squeaky brakes, this noisy console, and the dash. I aslo had to go back once since the dealer scratched up my shifter plate, when attacking the cantankerous crickets so that had to be replaced. This squeaky console problem sure most be costing Toyota a bit of cash. Both of the hybrid mechanics in Ottawa, Canada have only dealt with my squeaky car so far. They also tell me that Toyota Canada hasn't released a TSB on this.

Old 11-13-2006, 09:01 AM
Active Enthusiast

My crickets have returned as well, after only a week.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:00 AM

My console has been quiet for several months now!

I'm keeping martinmzfan's post bookmarked just incase I have to go back in and do another fix. But so far, silence is golden.

Old 11-13-2006, 10:44 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I think you should contact Toyota and provide them with the same detailed info you posted here. Maybe they can name the TSB after you! Thanks again!

Old 11-13-2006, 11:00 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nash
My console has been quiet for several months now!

I'm keeping martinmzfan's post bookmarked just incase I have to go back in and do another fix. But so far, silence is golden.
how do you bookmark on this forum. I have been looking for it and do not see it.Thanks........

Old 11-13-2006, 11:58 AM

Right click on the black #10 (for this post) on the upper right side of the post and select bookmark this link

I use firefox. If this doesn't work for you, click the black #10 and a new page will open with just that post, and bookmark it however your browser does it.

Quick Reply: Squeaking in the center console - mine is b-a-a-a-a-a-ck...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands