Squeeks and rattles.

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2010, 02:44 PM
Enthusiast
Default Squeeks and rattles.

Good afternoon all, I recently bought a 08 Camry HB and have noticed some squeeks. One that is very noticable is coming from the trunk. It looks like a air vent or something. Maybe for the battery. Its a plastic casing and I can move it around easily. I don't know how to tighten it. I wen to the dealer and they said it would cost around 260 bucks to tighten the 2 screws. Does anyone know how I can tighten it? I can take some pictures of what I'm talking about when I get home in a couple hrs. The second noise is coming from the ceiling. I have no clue how to get under the headliner. The dealer told me it would be another 250 for that. The noise is coming from the middle of the ceiling. I do have a sun roof. And finally I'm getting a some wind noise from the drivers side window.

Thank for any help or advise.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:01 PM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Squeeks and rattles.

How many miles on your car and do you have an extended warranty if the factory warranty is out?

Old 12-08-2010, 05:08 PM
Enthusiast

Here is a picture of the trunk. The red circle looks like a screw, but I can't find how to get to it to tighten it.

It has 54000 miles now. I did get a extended warranty on it for another year. They said it was like a bumper to bumper warranty.

Old 12-08-2010, 05:47 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

air vent for battery.
yes, they are loose. on mine, those "nuts" are all the way up and bolts stick out about 1/4''

as a fellow owner, i tried vise grips and channels locks, to loosen them bolts, no success.
if you are handy, locate 4 little "feet" that come out of nut base. you can get a flathead screwdriver against them and tap them so that they turn. if they don't break off.
personally, what i'd have done, is to wedge U-shaped washers between plastic and nut "feet". unless you have something like a dental pliers tool that will grab well and fit over those nuts in the space between the plastic ridges.
some serious nuts, i must say.
btw, there are needle nose vise grips available. that might, actually, do the trick.

Last edited by ukrkoz; 12-08-2010 at 05:51 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 05:48 PM
Super Moderator

If the noise from the sunroof is a "popping" noise have your dealer check for T-SB-0089-08 which is a fix for the roof panels.

The loose bolts for the battery vent will require the rear package tray to be removed and the two battery vent hold down bolts to be tightened.

Both of them should be covered by your bumper to bumper warranty. If they give you a problem, call Toyota and ask why it is NOT covered. This is not a wear item but an assembly problem from the factory.

Old 12-12-2010, 10:01 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by adamsj13
I wen to the dealer and they said it would cost around 260 bucks to tighten the 2 screws.
Oh wow! You bought from Crown Toyota too?!

I like ukrkoz idea about the slotted shims.

Old 12-21-2010, 09:37 PM
Enthusiast

My Camry had a squeak in the exact same place in the trunk. I ended up getting a couple small pieces of black open cell foam and craming them into the space between the plastic vent and the roof of the trunk. This stopped it from moving around an squeaking. Easy fix.