SSC 90L Recall work on 09 Camry Hybrid

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-2010, 11:46 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default SSC 90L Recall work on 09 Camry Hybrid

Last Friday I had the SSC 90L Recall done on my 2009 Camry Hybrid.

They shortened my accelerator and modified some padding beneath the carpet. This seemed to create at least one inch more clearance between the pedal and the floor carpet/mat.

They did NOT do the BTO flash of the computer. They explained that Toyota's position is that all PSD Hybrids already have adequate BTO function inherently.

I did not get the advertised free replacement all weather mats. I was too distracted discussing the inherent BTO functionality that I forgot to ask about that.

The whole process was pretty painless. The hardest part was the initial wait. I had made a 10:30 AM appointment, but there was quite a line when i arrived (Lots of other "early birds" trying to "beat the rush"); so, they did not actually take the car until about 11:00. They estimated about 2 1/2 hours. They called at about 4:30PM to announce that it was done.

There was, of course no charge, and they dropped me off and picked me up.

I have not noticed any difference in the way the shortened pedal feels under foot, and the shortened pedal seem still plenty long enough that there is no danger of catching it on the toe of a shoe or of missing it altogether.

I measured the shortened pedal to be approx. 3 3/4 inches long. I had not thought to measure the pedal prior to the modification. Perhaps someone else could measure the stock pedal and post the length. Then we could know how much length was removed.

I will post a picture shortly.

Last edited by Smilin' Jack; 02-15-2010 at 11:53 AM. Reason: completeness
Old 02-15-2010, 12:36 PM
Default Re: SSC 90L Recall work on 09 Camry Hybrid

Pictures of my 09 TCH, before and after the 90L recall work:

Before 90L

After 90L

Last edited by Smilin' Jack; 02-15-2010 at 12:44 PM. Reason: smaller pix
Old 02-15-2010, 01:58 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

John, thanks for the pictures!

Old 02-15-2010, 03:21 PM

Originally Posted by jbollt
John, thanks for the pictures!
My pleasure.

Would you care to measure that stock pedal ?

Old 02-15-2010, 05:58 PM

Originally Posted by Smilin' Jack
My pleasure.

Would you care to measure that stock pedal ?
As near as I can tell, 4 5/8" to 4 3/4".

Old 02-15-2010, 06:15 PM

John, after studying your pictures, I would guess that those plastic floor mats would have the possibility of doing the same thing (sliding up over the gas pedal) in many other brands of cars. Of course, I don't have those mats, or another brand of car to test fit them.

As I have said before, I never have, nor will I ever, place any aftermarket or even factory mats on top of the factory provided carpeted mats.

Thinking back, and if I remember correctly, in my early days of driving, the bottom of the gas pedals were hinged on the floor. And there were no factory installed hooks....or floor mats! I never had floor mats until they came from the factory with the car. (of course I have always lived in a temperate climate...no snow, and little rain)

Last edited by jbollt; 02-15-2010 at 06:49 PM.
Old 02-15-2010, 07:50 PM

Originally Posted by jbollt
John, after studying your pictures, I would guess that those plastic floor mats would have the possibility of doing the same thing (sliding up over the gas pedal) in many other brands of cars. Of course, I don't have those mats, or another brand of car to test fit them.

As I have said before, I never have, nor will I ever, place any aftermarket or even factory mats on top of the factory provided carpeted mats.

Thinking back, and if I remember correctly, in my early days of driving, the bottom of the gas pedals were hinged on the floor. And there were no factory installed hooks....or floor mats! I never had floor mats until they came from the factory with the car. (of course I have always lived in a temperate climate...no snow, and little rain)
Jeff must be as old as I.

I had cars with floor hinged gas pedals and factory mats that bunched up in front of them like crazy, but without creating any problem -no leverage I guess.

As I posted in another thread, these clear mats are Toyota mats from the dealer specifically designed for the 07-09 Camry, and they are intended to be used on top of the factory carpeted mats and to be bound to the lower mats via an included binding clip, so that the factory hooks can hold the whole assembly in place.

The binding clips have proved inadequate; so my mats are bolted down now.

At any rate, most of the Camry UA incidents (and Prius incidents, and all of the Camry Hybrid incidents) of which I'm aware are associated either with these mats or with genuine Toyota all weather mats. According to what I read in this forum, some of the all weather mats may actually have been installed by dealers without being properly secured, and the warning that they needed to be put on the hooks was on the BOTTOM of the mats; so some owners never saw the warnings.

Experience has shown that through a variety of various combinations of error, oversight, carelessness, design shortcomings etc. with the vulnerability of the pedal, the mats can and do cause UA in these cars, and whatever degree of Brake-Throttle Override is inherent in the Hybrid systems is not always good enough to alleviate the problem.

So hats off to Toyota for doing the 90L recall with pedal and mat mods for the TCH and Prius.

Old 02-16-2010, 03:21 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by Smilin' Jack
... and the warning that they needed to be put on the hooks was on the BOTTOM of the mats; so some owners never saw the warnings....
Not entirely true. I purchased Genuine Toyota All Weather Mats and the warning message is most definitely on the top of the mat. That said, the message isn't all that easy to notice once the mat is installed.

Old 02-16-2010, 06:13 AM

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Not entirely true. I purchased Genuine Toyota All Weather Mats and the warning message is most definitely on the top of the mat. That said, the message isn't all that easy to notice once the mat is installed.
Gregory,

Thanks for straighten me out on this point.

Perhaps what I read actually said that the warning was on the rear of the mat, and in conjunction with the complaint that it was not visible when installed, I incorrectly interpreted that as meaning the bottom rather than the aft end.

Will you be getting the 90L ?

Old 02-18-2010, 06:24 AM
Active Enthusiast

Had my 90 L recall...floor mats...done the other day.....the carpet under the accelerator pedal is noticeably lower....other than that it seems OK.

Quick Reply: SSC 90L Recall work on 09 Camry Hybrid

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands