Steering Wheel Illumination

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2007, 09:38 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Steering Wheel Illumination

Lately at night I have noticed I can barely make out the steering wheel buttons due to the dim lights. I stopped by the toyota dealer today and was told there is no adjustment for this. In a way I can understand. With the steering wheel nearer your face, it could be distracting if they were bright lit at night.

Some complain of the radio readout being so bright in comparison to the instrument panel. That could be resolved if they would put a extra dimmer just for the radio readout. That way a person could balance the radio brightness with the instrument panel. Another control, maybe on the dim side, but some brighter would be nice just for the steering wheel button illumination.

Old 09-19-2007, 07:47 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Steering Wheel Illumination

Been driving mine over a year now and never noticed anything dissatisfying about the accessory lighting. The buttons on the steering wheel, the ones I use I know where they are and know volume up/down by feel, etc. Maybe it's just me....

Old 09-19-2007, 08:24 AM
Active Enthusiast
Location: Two miles N of the technology 'center-of-the-world' in 1903, on the Outer Banks of NC
Default Re: Steering Wheel Illumination

Originally Posted by rburt07
Lately at night I have noticed I can barely make out the steering wheel buttons due to the dim lights. I stopped by the toyota dealer today and was told there is no adjustment for this. In a way I can understand. With the steering wheel nearer your face, it could be distracting if they were bright lit at night.

Some complain of the radio readout being so bright in comparison to the instrument panel. That could be resolved if they would put a extra dimmer just for the radio readout. That way a person could balance the radio brightness with the instrument panel. Another control, maybe on the dim side, but some brighter would be nice just for the steering wheel button illumination.

The steering wheel controls are intentionally dim at night. The Prius has had similar complaints. But I'm sure you've found and deciphered the coded 'braille' system to the various buttons. The bumps, ridges, bars and dots on the controls will tell you what is under your fingers without looking away from traffic.