Still Running Absent Smartkey-liability?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2006, 06:06 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Still Running Absent Smartkey-liability?

I'm wondering how much easier it will be to poison your family by forgetting to turn the car off while it's in your garage...especially since the car stays on absent the smart-key.

Or are the TCHs so clean that this isn't a problem.
Obviously, the risk is reduced since the ICE engine does not need to run all the time, but nevertheless, it does turn on.

Posted: Monday, 07 August 2006 9:46PM
Police Blame Deaths of LI Spouses on Car Fumes

JERICHO, N.Y (1010 WINS) -- An octogenarian husband and wife found dead in their home were poisoned by a colorless, odorless gas that spewed from their car, police said Monday.

Morton Licht, 85, and Muriel Licht, 83, were killed by carbon monoxide from a car that was accidentally left running in the adjoining garage, Nassau County police said in a statement, citing preliminary autopsy results.

Old 08-08-2006, 06:15 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Still Running Absent Smartkey-liability?

All ICEs will produce carbon monoxide. Granted, the engine in the Camry probably produces less and it's not on all the time, but leave the car running long enough and there'll be tragedy.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:08 AM
HSD Organic Interface

S**t happens... Get rid of all your cars and hide in your basement. Oh wait, radon gas, then hide in your attic, oh heat stroke, your bathroom them? No you'll slip in there, Ummm... Bummer, no perfect solution. Liability? I think Toyota could get sued because a car was left running even though the key was removed and also get sued from a car that shutdown on the hiway when the key accidentally fell to the floor outside the radio range. Operating a motor vehicle requires care and attention which not everyone is prepared to give all the time. The system will only be perfect once the human equation is completely removed from the system.

Old 08-08-2006, 07:52 AM

Originally Posted by hamm3r
I'm wondering how much easier it will be to poison your family by forgetting to turn the car off while it's in your garage...especially since the car stays on absent the smart-key.

Obviously, the risk is reduced since the ICE engine does not need to run all the time, but nevertheless, it does turn on.

Posted: Monday, 07 August 2006 9:46PM

Police Blame Deaths of LI Spouses on Car Fumes

JERICHO, N.Y (1010 WINS) -- An octogenarian husband and wife found dead in their home were poisoned by a colorless, odorless gas that spewed from their car, police said Monday.

Morton Licht, 85, and Muriel Licht, 83, were killed by carbon monoxide from a car that was accidentally left running in the adjoining garage, Nassau County police said in a statement, citing preliminary autopsy results.

Two words - CO detector

Old 08-08-2006, 09:48 AM
An Enthusiast

Originally Posted by hamm3r
Given the AT-PZEV rating, and that the ICE would be off most of the time in the garage, it would certainly be *much* safer than a gas-only car. But I would also think that if there was no air circulation in the garage, it would just be a matter of time (hours? days?) before the CO levels got too high.

In Massachusetts, there is now (since March) a state law requiring most homes to have CO detectors.
-Scott

Old 08-08-2006, 10:49 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Droid13
S**t happens... Get rid of all your cars and hide in your basement. Oh wait, radon gas, then hide in your attic, oh heat stroke, your bathroom them? No you'll slip in there, Ummm... Bummer, no perfect solution. Liability? I think Toyota could get sued because a car was left running even though the key was removed and also get sued from a car that shutdown on the hiway when the key accidentally fell to the floor outside the radio range. Operating a motor vehicle requires care and attention which not everyone is prepared to give all the time. The system will only be perfect once the human equation is completely removed from the system.

This is a serious and legitimate consideration.

You state: "also get sued from a car that shutdown on the highway when the key accidentally fell to the floor outside the radio range"

What we want to prevent is leaving the car running accidentally. If the car is running on a highway, then it is not on by accident. If the car is sitting parked and running for 5 hours with NO KEY, it's pretty easy to detect and turn off the car with minimal chance that the car will veer out of control.

Old 08-08-2006, 11:12 AM
My Wife's car but my toy!

The Prius, and I assume the TCH also, makes an aubible smoke detector type sound if one tries to walk away with the key and leave the vehicle on. I think that is how they cover themselves on this concern.

Old 08-08-2006, 10:26 PM
Enthusiast

I make a habit of always pressing the lock button on the driver door. If the car is on, or the key inside, it will give you a warning beep. If you do this unconcsiously every time you leave the car, you're going to reduce the chances of accidentally killing your whole family, etc.

The guy in the article was 85 and forgot to take the key out of his ICE vehicle.

And finally, it's been my experience that the TCH runs on the electric when it's not moving. Are we saying the ICE will kick in to recharge the battery if it gets low? Cuz if not, there's nothing to worry about.

Old 08-09-2006, 04:18 AM
WVGasGuy

Yes the ICE will kick on if the charge gets low even while you're sitting

Old 08-09-2006, 06:16 AM

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
Yes the ICE will kick on if the charge gets low even while you're sitting
And there's nothing more frustrating than that to a hybrid owner.

Quick Reply: Still Running Absent Smartkey-liability?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands