Storing TCH for 10 days while gone

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2006, 08:48 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Storing TCH for 10 days while gone

We will be gone for about 10 days at Christmas and it seems to me that somewhere I read (but now cannot find) some information about how to deal with the car when it isn't going to be driven for a while. I wouldn't worry about it except we have very cold weather here (hasn't been above freezing since the day after TG) and I know that the cold will not make it any easier to start when we return.

So, what do we do? We don't have a garage, unfortunately, either. Should I have my critter sitter start the car and let it run for a little bit every few days?

Thanks!

Barb

Old 12-03-2006, 09:27 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Storing TCH for 10 days while gone

Originally Posted by belbe
We will be gone for about 10 days at Christmas and it seems to me that somewhere I read (but now cannot find) some information about how to deal with the car when it isn't going to be driven for a while. I wouldn't worry about it except we have very cold weather here (hasn't been above freezing since the day after TG) and I know that the cold will not make it any easier to start when we return.

So, what do we do? We don't have a garage, unfortunately, either. Should I have my critter sitter start the car and let it run for a little bit every few days?

Thanks!

Barb
Barb, don't worry for just 10 days, make sure the indicator shows near full on the traction battery. I travel a lot and have let mine sit for 5 weeks and everything was fine. I saw somewhere Toyota says 2 months. SK

Old 12-03-2006, 08:58 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

We left our TCH for two weeks over the summer without any problem. The ICE seemed to run a bit more initially, but that makes sense since the battery loses a bit of charge every day. I don't think you'll have any problem with 10 days.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:36 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I was on vacation for 25 days, the TCH started just fine, and surprisingly the SOC was at 80% after sitting over 3 weeks.

According to TSB PD020-06 the TCH needs nothing special done to be stored up to 30 days. Only if you store it 30 days or more, does Toyota recommend disconnecting the 12V battery.

Old 12-04-2006, 06:56 AM
Active Enthusiast

Sounds like I should be fine, then. I was just concerned about the cold weather. Thanks all!

Old 12-04-2006, 07:53 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Prius's Smart Entry has (had) and issue with battery depletion after weeks of non-useage. There is a button on the Prius to disable Smart Entry just for that reason. The TCH puts the Smart Entry system to sleep after a week so that problem does not exist.
Just make sure your reading/map lights are off and any other lights you can manually turn on (if any).
You'll be just fine.

Old 12-04-2006, 08:46 AM
Recent Hybrid convert

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Prius's Smart Entry has (had) an issue with battery depletion after weeks of non-useage. [...] The TCH puts the Smart Entry system to sleep after a week so that problem does not exist. [...] You'll be just fine.
Exactly! See Page 1 of the attachment below. ... Also, should anyone still feel the urge to make *absolutely* sure the smart key system is turned off while they're gone, follow the steps on page 2.

Attached Files
Old 12-04-2006, 08:55 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by HybridFan
... Also, should anyone still feel the urge to make *absolutely* sure the smart key system is turned off while they're gone, follow the steps on page 2.
I got dizzy just reading the procedure. Couldn't tell if I was suppose to be opening and closing the physical door or just pushing a button on the FOB.
Confusing to the n'th degree.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:06 AM
Recent Hybrid convert

Yup, dizzying indeed (and probably on purpose, so it'll never happen accidentally). However, I did try it a month or two back (based on a different thread at that time) and it DID work as indicated.

Old 12-04-2006, 09:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I got dizzy just reading the procedure. Couldn't tell if I was suppose to be opening and closing the physical door or just pushing a button on the FOB.
I re-wrote the dealers's sheet on how to disable the Smart Key system. Here is the link to: Can I temporarily disable the TCH's Smart Entry?

Quick Reply: Storing TCH for 10 days while gone

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands