Strut replacement part question

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 08:07 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Strut replacement part question

I am considering KYB struts for replacements on my TCH. I see several parts to purchase along with the struts. Here is what I am finding:

Struts, of course
Strut boots
Strut mounting kit, front & rear
Strut bellows
Coil spring insulators

It looks like some of the parts are incorporated in others. I assume new bearings come with the mounting kits? Since I have not done this before, what are the needed parts without over buying? I am getting confused looking at parts. Are camber bolts needed also? I am confused on exactly how they are installed and work.

Any help is appreciated.

Old 03-02-2014, 10:48 AM
Super Moderator
Default Re: Strut replacement part question

As long as the existing bellows, boots and insulators are in good shape, just clean them well, use some rubber dressing on them and reinstall. The bearings were a separate item that I replaced when I did mine.

Old 03-02-2014, 02:09 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Thanks David.

Old 03-02-2014, 05:39 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I lubricated all spring to mounting plates rubber insulators contact areas. Uff, long sentence. With GM grease with PTFA. Good lube.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:31 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
I lubricated all spring to mounting plates rubber insulators contact areas. Uff, long sentence. With GM grease with PTFA. Good lube.
LOL, why am I not surprised at you knowing a good lube.......

Old 03-03-2014, 07:21 PM

He he, I keep KY J for different purpose.
But indeed, I learned that lube from my Silverado. Darn thing was supposed to have slip yoke and ISS "milked" (that's official GM term) with that lube every time they developed a knock. Then I found that it's a very good quality lubricant for many purposes. Very thick and creamy. Best for packing ball joints.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:55 PM
Professor Emeritus

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
He he, I keep KY J for different purpose.
But indeed, I learned that lube from my Silverado. Darn thing was supposed to have slip yoke and ISS "milked" (that's official GM term) with that lube every time they developed a knock. Then I found that it's a very good quality lubricant for many purposes. Very thick and creamy. Best for packing ball joints.
Ha! Yea, I actually have one of those "clunky" Silverado's. Great truck... Tons of miles, it just wont die. Just replace the OE intake gaskets and deal with the pitman and idler arm's every 50,000 and keep up with the fluids and all is well.

Every so often I have break the drive shaft loose from the rear u-joint and hold the shaft while my wife lubes the ribs on the shaft. Fun stuff!

Old 03-04-2014, 07:14 PM

Oooohhh.. Kinky.. Wife "lubing the ribs on the shaft"..... I think I'll be using KYJ tonight.....

Truly, mine was ongoing small repairs project. Window regulators, water pump, above mentioned idler, hub bearings. Darn slip yoke to be lubricated once a year. But it was turn key and go indeed. Clunker though... Oh, not to forget THE NORMAL PISTON SLAP. I parted with it at 147 000 miles and now am trying to befriend Ridgeline. That's a whole different story...