Studded snow tire advice

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-2009, 01:13 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Studded snow tire advice

This will be my first winter in my 09 TCH and it's almost time to get ready for snow tires. I live in upstate New York where we get on average about 120 inches of snow each winter. Over the years I have tried the studless snow tires but with the hills I have to travel they just are not up to the task. I was looking for some advice from those of you who are using studded snows particularly what brand, how much you paid, where you got them, how much they cost and if you'd buy them again. Along with any other advice you'd like to pass along. Currently am looking at the Firestone Winterforce (studded) from tirerack. Thanks in advance, Rick

Old 09-18-2009, 10:11 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Studded snow tire advice

Winter time delima....freshly fallen "loose" snow vs packed down snow vs ICE. True snow tires will be of help on the loose stuff that the tread can "sink" into but studs or chains will be the ONLY answer on the truly slippery stuff.

And remember that your FWD TCH can turn HAZARDOUS in an instant on the slippery stuff. VSC/TRAC and the virtual disabling of regen with low OATs will be of great help but just be aware..

Old 09-18-2009, 10:38 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

I wish I could have studded tires....

They outlawed them here in Minnesota close to 30 years ago...

Now we just make due with Blizzaks and similar winter tires...

Old 09-19-2009, 07:13 AM

At least MN doesn't have to raise taxes to repair the BILLIONS of $$$ worth of damage those studs do to perfectly DRY pavement move time than not.

Old 09-19-2009, 12:28 PM
Enthusiast

I've used the Firestone winterforce tires on other vehicles, as well as a BF Goodrich tire. Ice traction will depend both on the tire compound, tread design, and studding pattern. The studless tires that I've used, Bridgestone Blazaks, were also very good, and in most winter conditions, came very close to the performance of studded tires. They however are more expensive. For a compromise in cost and performance, I would go with the studs. Just remember to get them off in the spring, or you'll wear out the studs. I have never used winter tires on a front wheel drive vehicle, so don't really know how it will handle or perform. Tire Rack should be able to give you some ideas about which tire to stud and studding patterns for your type of driving condition. Also remember to put studs on all four wheels, not just the drive wheels.

Old 09-23-2009, 07:47 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Originally Posted by wwest
At least MN doesn't have to raise taxes to repair the BILLIONS of $$$ worth of damage those studs do to perfectly DRY pavement move time than not.
If the roads here (even concrete) would last longer than 10 years - that might be a good argument.
We pay some of the highest property and personal income taxes in the US and the licence plates for our cars are rediculous. My 2007 TCH plates just cost me almost $350 for another year (third now)...

Give me the studs and keep me and my family out of the hospitals and morgues...

You can repair/replace a road - you can't replace a life...

Old 09-23-2009, 07:59 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Big-Foot
If the roads here (even concrete) would last longer than 10 years - that might be a good argument.
We pay some of the highest property and personal income taxes in the US and the licence plates for our cars are rediculous. My 2007 TCH plates just cost me almost $350 for another year (third now)...

Give me the studs and keep me and my family out of the hospitals and morgues...

You can repair/replace a road - you can't replace a life...
Not quite accurate

Studs do damage roads and when the studs wear down they act like skate on ice and when you are locked and sliding thats when you are going to get into an incident.

As for abs failure the majority occur during freezing levels when you need them the most

I personally prefer a good ice radial similar to the michelin ice x-2. I should mention they only really work very well for 1-2 seasons at the most then I let them wear down in the summer to burn off the excess tread.

Not really my opinion just what I learned over 31 years in policing and have now retired.

I will not even get into the damage to roads or what happens when the studs let go when you are on the highway and the vehicle behind you receives your fall out.

Old 09-23-2009, 09:27 AM
Currency-to-hydrocarbons

Originally Posted by tharvey
Not quite accurate
What was not quite accurate in my post?

Studs do damage roads and when the studs wear down they act like skate on ice and when you are locked and sliding thats when you are going to get into an incident.
Yes they do damage the roads - no doubt about it - but that damage is entirely inconsequential when it comes to saving lives.
Here the law used to be that you could not put on studded tires before Nov-1 and they had to be off by April-1.

As for abs failure the majority occur during freezing levels when you need them the most
I don't know where you live and play but here in my neighborhood - I've not seen this... I have had an ABS sensor foul with leaves and road debris in the fall.

I personally prefer a good ice radial similar to the michelin ice x-2. I should mention they only really work very well for 1-2 seasons at the most then I let them wear down in the summer to burn off the excess tread.

Not really my opinion just what I learned over 31 years in policing and have now retired.
We use Blizzak radials here with reasonable results but stopping on glare ice is simply not in the cards for **any** tire with just rubber contact.. This is where studs shine.

I will not even get into the damage to roads or what happens when the studs let go when you are on the highway and the vehicle behind you receives your fall out.
Studs do let go - but they are no more damaging than a piece of gravel coming out of the tread at a high rate of speed..

Now - I will admit that I was helping push someone out of a snowbank many years ago - the driver insisted on gunning the engine to the floor with the wheels spinning. I felt a thump in my shin and later found that I had a stud puncture the skin (through my jeans)..

Old 01-20-2010, 05:46 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Anyone use the General Altimax Artic on their TCH? Or the Continental Extreme winter contact? Looking for opinions on these tires. Thanks.

Old 01-21-2010, 02:12 AM

See this at tirerack.com

Quick Reply: Studded snow tire advice

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands