Stupid Question Lug Nut Size

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2008, 04:52 PM
Enthusiast
Default Stupid Question Lug Nut Size

I just did my first oil change. In my case it was easier to get the filter off by removing the passenger side wheel. If you look behind the wheel to the front there is a small panel that you can swing out of the way by removing two screws. By doing that you can get a large wrench on the filter from the side. In any event I had to put the wheel back on. I didn't have a metric socket big enough for my torque wrench so I had to use an english socket. Does anyone know the size of the Camry lug nuts? My guess is 22 or 21 mm.

Thanks,

Peter

Old 03-02-2008, 05:37 PM
Pragmatist
Default Re: Stupid Question Lug Nut Size

The stock lug nuts on the TCH are 21mm.

Old 03-02-2008, 05:54 PM
Pragmatist
Default Re: Stupid Question Lug Nut Size

I have always used locking lug nuts, at least one per wheel, because I prefer my alloy wheels to remain attached to my car when it is unattended.

The Toyota brand locking lug nuts take a special shaped socket adapter, and they break very easily. When one breaks, it takes several hours with a dremel tool to get it off, and then the lug needs to be replaced, too. (I have done that, twice.) You can't even torque those locks to the full 80 ft-lbs without breaking them.

I now use the "Gorilla" brand wheel locks. They have much larger contact area between the nut and the special socket, and the contact area is further from the centerline, so they don't break easily like the Toyota brand locks. And, to a casual observer, they look more like regular lug nuts.

The Gorilla wheel locks are available from a variety of retailers, of course. I got mine on ebay. I got a set of 20 so that all of the lugs would look the same. The Gorilla locks have a 13/16 hex head on the end of the key (a special socket). The 21mm socket on the lug wrench that comes with the car seems to engage that hex head well enough.

The main thing is, of course, that I am confident the wheel lock will not break, and I will be able to remove it when I need to change a flat tire.

You can see what they look like and read about them at: http://www.brandsport.com/grla-73631t.html or http://www.brandsport.com/grla-73633t.html
(I am not affiliated with brandsport.com, and do not recommend that site. These links are just because they have the product information for the Toyota version handy.)

Last edited by SteveHansen; 03-02-2008 at 06:10 PM.