View Poll Results: Please read first post before answering
Absolutely I would. I have no problem paying the premium
68.92%
I'm leaning in the direction of the hybrid, but can't say for sure
17.57%
I have no opinion. It was a no brainer with more expensive gas, but now I'm not sure.
2.70%
Probably not, but I'd have to consider it long and hard/
4.05%
No. I love the car (and the environment), but I wouldn't/can't pay the premium
6.76%
Voters: 74. You may not vote on this poll

Survey...would you buy a hybrid if gas were cheap

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2008, 04:56 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Survey...would you buy a hybrid if gas were cheap

Would you buy a new hybrid if the premium (the excess cost of the hybrid over the comparable gas version of the car) were high enough that there would be no possibility of recouping the extra cost in fuel savings?

For this survey, let's make the assumption that a new TCH would cost $6,000 more than the gas version (I know that this is not the price, this is a theoretical arguement) and the lifetime gas savings was going to be around $1,000-2,000, based upon the following assumptions:
  • You were convinced that gas was going to stay ~$1.50-2.00/gallon
  • You'll keep the car approximately 100,000 miles (and the resale value of the two choices would be comparable)
  • The choice is a 25 MPG gas versus a 33 MPG Hybrid Camry. Both are identically configured, with the exception of the hybrid engine.
Assuming these numbers, would you buy the hybrid Camry?

Last edited by haroldo; 12-09-2008 at 11:09 AM.
Old 12-09-2008, 06:24 AM
Default Re: Survey...would you buy a hybrid if gas were cheap

I answered the survey before I read your assumptions. Nonetheless I would still buy the TCH. Your basic assumption that the TCH would cost $6000 more than the gas version is unfounded, at least in Canada. The closest model to compare to the TCH in Canada is the Camry XLE. If I take the Camry Hybrid with the premium package with NAV, and compare it with the XLE with NAV, I get virtually identical features - and the TCH comes out $1840 CHEAPER. It kind of makes the cost of gas irrelevant to my purchase decision.

Of course, if the TCH were $6000 more expensive than the XLE, it would be a different story. But its not, so why go there?

Last edited by rmorrow; 12-09-2008 at 06:25 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 12-09-2008, 06:37 AM

In another thread, we were discussing the value of a hybrid in a low gas cost environment.
Everyone realizes the value of the car with $4.00 gas, but now that gas is (at least temporarily) inexpensive, would people still chose these cars?
I wanted to see how people's opinions would be altered if there was no chance of a payback (in terms of fuel savings).
It's easy to be green and economical when prices are high, it's harder when prices are cheap.
It's a theoretical arguement.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:51 AM

The term "hybrid" needs to be qualified.

To me, hybrid, in the context of your poll, should only relate to the Prius, Camry, Insight, FEH/MMH/tribute.

The term hybrid has too thoroughly been prostituded by the likes of the RX400h, HH, LS600 GS450, and HEAVY SUV & trucks. In short, all those still fully involved in the HP/torque "race".

I purchased an early Prius, first generation, more because I wanted to help promote the idea and technology.

Old 12-09-2008, 07:56 AM

Originally Posted by wwest
The term "hybrid" needs to be qualified.

To me, hybrid, in the context of your poll, should only relate to the Prius, Camry, Insight, FEH/MMH/tribute.

The term hybrid has too thoroughly been prostituded by the likes of the RX400h, HH, LS600 GS450, and HEAVY SUV & trucks....
Don't they all give an improved mileage efficiency over the base model?

Old 12-09-2008, 08:26 AM
Active Enthusiast

haroldo, I also took the servey before reading your assumptions. I'm a little surprised at you. Using a $6000 premium for a hybrid is not realistic. I own the 50th anniversary model, and comparing it to the closest Camry rival the difference is hardly worth mentioning. I do not believe you will get a real world result to this survey the way it is presented...JMHO.

Old 12-09-2008, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by acco20
... I'm a little surprised at you. Using a $6000 premium for a hybrid is not realistic. ... I do not believe you will get a real world result to this survey the way it is presented...JMHO.
That wasn't the point of the survey.

Originally Posted by haroldo
In another thread, we were discussing the value of a hybrid in a low gas cost environment...
One member said he thought we'd all would have learned from the high prices last summer to think economically and make smart energy consumption choices.
I've been maintaining that people's memory is very short.
I wanted to see whether people would still buy a hybrid if they were convinced that they'd never be able to recoup the premium.
I know what the real world cost differential is.
I want to see if people would alter their decisions.
My belief is that if prices at the pump get cheap enough, in time most will buy less expensive cars (gas Camry).
I realize it's a theoretical arguement, since no one can predict the prices at the pump more than a few days ahead.
It's only a fantasy survey.

Last edited by haroldo; 12-09-2008 at 11:19 AM.
Old 12-09-2008, 03:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

Having a hybrid is a little like buying insurance against any future gasoline price increases. We would all love for gas to be as cheap as possible but having a hybrid is having comfort that even if gas gets really expensive again, you will have a certain degree of protection.

The other advantage of a hybrid is fewer trips to the pump, and that is always a welcome feature regardless of price.

Also keep in mind, these cars can easily last you 8 years, and then possibly last the next buyer another 8 years. Even if gas is cheap today, it might not be in 2, 4, 6, or 8 years down the road.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:11 PM

Originally Posted by haroldo
Don't they all give an improved mileage efficiency over the base model?
Yes, they do....

But if one is concerned about fuel costs, FE, the environment, promoting technology, etc, why would you buy a gas hog just because it has been downgraded to a pig, BIG FAT PIG.

Old 12-09-2008, 04:27 PM
Active Enthusiast

Keep in mind that the resale value of the hybrid (with a reasonable number of miles) is much higher than the non-hybrid Camry. That alone, closes the gap.

I just made my best attempt to compare the price today on KBB of my old 07 Hybrid with 39,000 miles vs. a non-Hybrid 07 XLT Camry with similar equipment and miles. It looks like the resale on the Hybrid is about $4,000 higher. That closes the gap big-time.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands