Talk me into a Camry hybrid!

Search this Thread

Old 01-10-2008, 02:38 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Talk me into a Camry hybrid!

I was searching for a Maercury Mariner/Ford Escape hybrid, but because of unavailability, I have given up.
I test drove a Prius but my 6'5" frame won't fit.
What type of mpg's are you getting?
Any "must have" options?

Thanks!

Old 01-10-2008, 02:51 PM
Default Re: Talk me into a Camry hybrid!

I am 6'2" and have plenty of extra room above my head. It's a great car. I also was trying to test drive a FEH and could not find one for almost 3 months. I doubt i would have bought one anyways. Toyota still is the most reliable on the market, i think. I'm getting an average of 43.8mpg. It has a great ride and plenty of interior room too!! I have owned my TCH for 5 months now.

Old 01-10-2008, 02:54 PM

I'm 6'3" and have the moonroof and it's a lovely fit, no problems. Can't say off the top of my head how likely it is you'd have problems with, but I doubt you would without. I would tend to guess you'd be fine even with.

Mileage, check the mileage section, you can see the average and the whole range, even check out specific people's per-tank mileage, temps they got it at, etc. Cold winter mine drops down to low 30s (hopefully I've learned enough to do better this winter than last), good weather it's consistently over 40mpg per tank. One and a half winters in and I have 37 mpg lifetime. If you live somewhere warm (not blazing hot) you can probably get closer to 40 or more if you drive for hybrid benefits.

I will say I love the moonroof, something I wasn't looking for, but didn't have time to wait for another car to come in. Some complain about the usefulness of the Nav display, I don't have it so I can't say. I'm fine without, though I admit some of the extra performance info might be nice. Newer models don't come with all of the bells & whistles the 07s came with for the base model. But not sure what aside from some frills you have to pay for now that I got included.... I've basically got what amounts to a "stripped down" 07 plus moonroof, and I absolutely love it. I'm sure there are plenty of people who prefer a more upgraded package who can give their views on some of the features, but even without it's a great car, comfortable, drives beautifully, quiet, all that fun stuff. With the great mileage to boot.

Old 01-10-2008, 03:00 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I'm 6'4" and the head room is good...but not great, try it out and see if you are comfortable. I've been in a lot of cars with more room, so caveat emptor.
I love the car...but the sightlines are tough. I'm comparing it to my Avalon and I have a lot less side view than the Avalon and I have a tough time seeing the back of the car when I back up (it's very high in the back and I have to guess where the car ends).
The car's power and pickup pales when comparing it to the Avalon (yes, it's a smaller engine, I understand that). Try a test drive and put it through the paces and see for yourself.
It's a very comfortable, reliable car and fun to drive. It's a very good value.

But if your big, sit in the car. I bought the non-moonroof version (and had to add leather seats), since I needed the extra inch or so.

Old 01-10-2008, 04:32 PM
Enthusiast

Nick:
I just bought my 2008 on 2 January. We had a Honda Accord Hybrid before that. The car is loaded including navigation and paid $27,999, which was slightly less than the Honda. The car doesn’t have quite as much pep as the Honda but it’s ok. I saw a figure the other in some Internet car magazine that said it did 60 in 7.8 seconds. That compares with the Honda’s 6.8 number. So it’s not a barnburner, but it will get you on the highway or around cars on a two-lane road. Mileage is significantly better than the Honda (about 30%) for the same driving area and conditions. We’re already averaging over 35MPG around town. I’ve had days over 40. It is one of the quietest cars I have owned. Strong acceleration brings about some light 2nd order 4-cylinder vibrations. During light acceleration one can’t hear or feel the engine at all. The hybrid integration is tuned better than the Honda’s, and takes advantage of the larger electric motor and battery system. There is an interesting interaction between the two electric motors and the internal combustion engine (ICE) using a planetary gear system that keeps the ICE RPMs low and permits total electric drive below 42MPH. I’ve gone a couple of miles on a relatively flat road without the ICE on- it’s a unique experience. If you live in one of 8 states (California and the NE) where the Nissan Altimas are sold they have slightly more SHP in the ICE and the same hybrid system-and the front headroom is almost 2” more. They are about the same price when you include the tax rebate on the Altima. We were going to try one, but we live in Texas and California was just too far to go to try it. The stereo is great and the bluetooth system is the best we’ve had.
Try one out if you can fit it on.

Chuck

Old 01-10-2008, 04:44 PM

Originally Posted by cjacobus1
Nick:
I just bought my 2008 on 2 January. We had a Honda Accord Hybrid before that. The car is loaded including navigation and paid $27,999, which was slightly less than the Honda. The car doesn’t have quite as much pep as the Honda but it’s ok. I saw a figure the other in some Internet car magazine that said it did 60 in 7.8 seconds. That compares with the Honda’s 6.8 number. So it’s not a barnburner, but it will get you on the highway or around cars on a two-lane road. Mileage is significantly better than the Honda (about 30%) for the same driving area and conditions. We’re already averaging over 35MPG around town. I’ve had days over 40. It is one of the quietest cars I have owned. Strong acceleration brings about some light 2nd order 4-cylinder vibrations. During light acceleration one can’t hear or feel the engine at all. The hybrid integration is tuned better than the Honda’s, and takes advantage of the larger electric motor and battery system. There is an interesting interaction between the two electric motors and the internal combustion engine (ICE) using a planetary gear system that keeps the ICE RPMs low and permits total electric drive below 42MPH. I’ve gone a couple of miles on a relatively flat road without the ICE on- it’s a unique experience. If you live in one of 8 states (California and the NE) where the Nissan Altimas are sold they have slightly more SHP in the ICE and the same hybrid system-and the front headroom is almost 2” more. They are about the same price when you include the tax rebate on the Altima. We were going to try one, but we live in Texas and California was just too far to go to try it. The stereo is great and the bluetooth system is the best we’ve had.
Try one out if you can fit it on.

Chuck
Thanks Chuck. I was curious how fast you can go in a TCH before the ICE kicks in.
The Ford Escape Hybrid had a 25mph (on average) drive in E mode.
I just had an offer of $26,000 accepted on a TCH with sunroof, bluetooth and upgrade pkg. If I get a good trade-in, I'll take it.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:43 AM
Enthusiast

The official figure I believe is 43 mph before ICE kicks in. I normally keep mine right about 40 to try and stay in E.

0 to 60 may not be a neck snapping experience but this car isn't meant to do that either. I will say however that 60 to 80 can be downright frightening. I've opened it up a couple of times and it will move.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:48 AM

Originally Posted by dledeaux
The official figure I believe is 43 miles per hour before ICE kicks in. I normally keep mine right about 40 to try and stay in E.

0 to 60 may not be a neck snapping experience but this car isn't meant to do that either. I will say however that 60 to 80 can be downright frightening. I've opened it up a couple of times and it will move.
Thanks. It sounds like it has more than enough power to move.

Old 01-11-2008, 06:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by nicst47
Thanks. It sounds like it has more than enough power to move.
Yes it does. I have to be really careful when passing people because I may start at 50 - 55 but before I can clear them I am at 80.

This car accelerates just as well as my 1989 Camry -- which was a sick little stick.