Tank 2, day 2, current FE 41.1mpg

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2006, 09:49 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Tank 2, day 2, current FE 41.1mpg

Last night my husband had to drive our son to sleep, and since the TCH was down to 1/4 tank he filled it up. I'm not sure if he wrote down the mileage when he did so , but he said the FE on the tank before he filled it was 35mpg.

So, today I drove to work and then up to my son's daycare on my lunch hour and the FE on tank 2 is currently 41.1mpg! That includes going up a REALLY long hilly road and back down (of course). When I got to the top of the huge hill the FE was 36.6, when I got to the bottom on the way back it was 39.2 and when I got back to my work parking lot it was 41.1. The one thing that is really different with this tank is I haven't been using the a/c. Last night hubby didn't need a/c because it was quite cool out and today it was cool enough that I decided to try driving with just the vents on and no a/c. What a difference!!

I was so excited to see that 41.1 that I took a picture of it, but I don't have my camera's docking cradle at work, so I can't upload it til I get home.

*happy FE dance*

Old 08-14-2006, 10:23 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Tank 2, day 2, current FE 41.1mpg

That's a great report, Lilarienne. I'm going to have to try our TCH without the A/C down here in Houston around Nov. or Dec. to see how much difference it makes for us.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:00 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

I find running without A/C helps quite a bit. It's much easier to stay in EV mode and the battery goes down much..... slower..... After my last fill up my battery was pretty close to full. My trip from work to the store we own was on roads that were anywhere from 30 to 55 mph. That allowed periods of EV (slower speeds) followed by periods of recharge. When I arrived at the store almost 8 miles later my mpg gauge was showing 57.0 for the trip. You know I took a picture with my cell phone and showed it off at the store (they work for me so they have to appear interested).

Since then the mileage has obviously dropped, but after 200 miles my average is still 42.6. Getting that good start to a tank sure helps.

Old 08-14-2006, 11:46 AM
WVGasGuy

(they work for me so they have to appear interested).

Yet another reason for owning a TCH. Your employees know you're frugal and not just a tightwad when it comes to paying them!

Old 08-14-2006, 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
(they work for me so they have to appear interested).

Yet another reason for owning a TCH. Your employees know you're frugal and not just a tightwad when it comes to paying them!
They don't need the TCH to figure that one out.

Old 08-14-2006, 12:46 PM

It is going to be some time before i cut the ac off here in FL. It is SO hot!!

Old 08-14-2006, 12:55 PM
WVGasGuy

It is going to be some time before i cut the ac off here in FL. It is SO hot!!

Let's see, a 40 mile commute, $2.95 gas, assuming A/C costs you 4 miles per gallon (I don't believe that, but) the difference in 36 mpg and 40 mpg will cost you less than 33 cents. I'll vote for using A/C every time!

Old 08-14-2006, 01:21 PM

Where are you finding gas for $2.95 per gallon? Around here the cheapest I have seen lately is $3.19. And people wonder why hybrids are sold before they hit the ground here....

Old 08-14-2006, 01:27 PM

Originally Posted by Lilarienne
Where are you finding gas for $2.95 per gallon? Around here the cheapest I have seen lately is $3.19. And people wonder why hybrids are sold before they hit the ground here....
Depends on where you live. I've seen 87 octane in southeastern Virginia for $2.83 a gallon. But it's only been six days since I've filled up, so I still have 3/4 of a tank left.

Old 08-14-2006, 01:35 PM
WVGasGuy

It dropped twice this past week from $3.05 to settle at $2.93 (Central WV_and our taxes are higher than PA and Ohio I think)

Quick Reply: Tank 2, day 2, current FE 41.1mpg

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands