TCH Auxiliary Battery

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2011, 08:51 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH Auxiliary Battery

First of all, I had my TCH parked for over a month, without any issues, so your 1 week estimate for the battery to last is not correct to begin with (unless there is something wrong with the car).
2. Just about any modern car with remote doors will have exactly same issue as TCH.
3. TCH does not come with build in alarm, it's a dealer installed option (at least it was when I bought mine).
4. I don't believe any computer is running when the car is off except for door system.
5. Are you kidding me you want the car to start up on it's own or you didn't think this through?
You mean you want the car start up all by itself and fill small garage with deadly CO at night at random times?
You want the engine to start up to charge the battery on it's own without ignition being on, when for example you're working on it, like changing oil, or better yet changing belts? I could go on, but I hope you're getting the point of how dangerous such a system could be?
Just leave the car on at all times, it will run off battery and the engine will kick in to recharge it when required, exactly as you want, just don't tell anybody as they could drive off with it.
Actually TCH doesn't use battery that much at all and all it needs is about 10 Amps to boot up it's computers at start up, (not 100-300 amps normal car needs to crank the engine). I could actually start up TCH from 9-10 AA nicd batteries (those used in remote controls etc.) connected in series,
if my battery ever went dead, but I doubt it ever will unless my daughter leaves overhead light in the back on without me noticing just before some long weekend when I don't drive for few days.
As far as my car sending me e-mails, yeaah sure, I got 50-100 spams a day why not one more " this is your car, your battery just died, looking for good telephone signal to send you a message that your battery was critically low, call AAA now", as long as you pay for it.

Originally Posted by SteveHansen
It seems to me that Toyota could resolve this issue without much difficulty. The car is designed to draw from the 12V battery while the car is parked -- at least to run the smart-key system and the alarm system. The 12V battery is small, so it can only run those systems for week or so. The car has plenty of computers, some of those computers are running the entire time, and it has the means of recharging that little battery.

The car _could_ monitor the level of the 12V battery, and it _could_ recharge the little battery before it gets too low, and it _could_ alert the driver when the little battery gets to the point of needing to be replaced. Basically, when the little 12V battery gets low, the car _could_ turn itself on for a few minutes to recharge it. It could even turn on the generator (a.k.a., engine) if needed. The same software _could_ turn on the generator if/when the BIG battery needs to be recharged, during periods of extended storage.

In future electric-only models, the car could send an email or text message to the owner, to say that the battery is getting low and that the car wants to be plugged in for a recharge... same concept.

Basically -- the thing has more computers than the space shuttle. It _could_ actually use them.

Old 05-15-2011, 04:30 PM
lzc
Active Enthusiast

I've taken several trips lasting 4 weeks+ while my Camry hybrid has sat untouched in the garage. I've never had the slightest problem starting the car upon my return. The idea that Toyota might sell a car that couldn't be parked for 2-3 months without having starting problems is unthinkable to me. Something else is going on here.

Old 05-06-2012, 12:17 PM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
just from my experience with very similar thread at TN forum
1. Optima does not have a direct replacement battery. this has been confirmed several times by Optima rep in the forum
2. reason being, OEM battery is vented AGM battery. 35 series batteries DO NOT have any provisions for attaching vent tube, that is attached to the OEM battery. hence, there is no provisions to potentially prevent hydrogen from collecting in the trunk
3. there are multiple AGM type 12V batteries manufacturers, none of them has vent provision
4. Optima recommends 65 series battery, IF IT WILL FIT. they do have 2 vent provisions.
5. dealership charges roughly $360 for OEM battery
6. OEM battery is vented Panasonic glass mat battery. in 07. maybe it's different in newer models.
7. personally, I shall replace mine with 35 series Optima, yellow top (deep cycle battery) BUT I HAVE WAY TO INSTALL VENTS ON IT.
What's your method of venting the battery? Did you finally make this change? Or did you go with another solution?

Thanks
Greg

Old 05-06-2012, 02:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by gsyoungblood
What's your method of venting the battery? Did you finally make this change? Or did you go with another solution?

Thanks
Greg
I have urthane tubes, used for venting air out of a prosthetic socket. they are flat on one end, almond shaped, and have opening in that end, that transitions into a long tube. tube is about 6mm outside diameter. we buy them as kit, kit has 2 tubes and special bonding compound, that works on urethanes and rubbers.
basically, I'll resin 2 of those tubes where Optima has venting provisions, and T them into OEM down vent. resin hardens in about 20 minutes. well, it never really hardens, stays semi-flexible, like rubber.
page 7 in this manual:
http://www.ottobock.com/cps/rde/xbcr...ny_e-pulse.pdf
shows that kit. gives you idea. have NO doubt, something like this can be procured from any hobby or such store.