TCH commitment phobia/any former 6th gen Accord owners?

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2006, 10:59 AM
Enthusiast
Default TCH commitment phobia/any former 6th gen Accord owners?

I was pretty sure I wanted to get a TCH a few weeks ago when I put down my deposit. There was a period of time when I was quite annoyed at the prospect of waiting 3 to 4 months. But just now, I just passed on my 2nd choice color. In the end, I wasn't ready to buy.

Did anyone here go thru this phase? I see a lot of enthusatic hybrid owners, but was anyone here a border line case? For some reason all the old worries are coming back to my head:

1. Is this a car that I can really keep for the long run? Does the car have the same resale/maintainance profile that I expect from a Toyota/Camry? Or am I going to have to take major hit years down the line (8+) when the battery is about to go and newer hybrid models reduce the demand (and resale value) of my TCH?

2. Can I really buy a Toyota? (Not trying to start a flame, really!) I really like my 6th generation Accord. And when I test drove both the new Camry and Accord, I was reminded how much I disliked the Toyota's steering feel and transmission shifts. I did like the TCH's transmission much better, but the steering still seems a bit awkward. Any former Accord owners care to comment?

Well, I've bought myself some time by waiting for my color. But the next time around I gotta be able to decide. Seems like the Accord is a good safe bet for me, but there is a side of me that really wants to go hybrid via the TCH.

Decisions, decisons. Any help would be appreciated. Pardon me if I seem to be bringing up all the same old topics.

Old 06-27-2006, 11:32 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH commitment phobia/any former 6th gen Accord owners?

I debated getting my 2nd choice color and decided to wait until I got the color/options I wanted. After all it is a major purchase, why not get exactly what you want?

If the Prius is any indication, the Camry Hybrid should have a good resale/maintainance profile. The battery cost for the Prius is down to $2200 from Toyota, or even $500 if you buy one from a wrecking yard. The battery has proven to be very reliable, even in the orginal Japanese '98 version of the Prius.

Only you can say if you can buy a Toyota. I find the HSD/eCVT to be the quietest and smoothest vehicle I have driven, yet still has respectable get up and go. I find the steering is much improved with higher tire pressure. Toyota specs 32 psi, I'm running 42/40 psi (the tire is rated 51 psi max.) The steering is more responsive and there is more feel of the road with the increased pressure. My last Accord was an '83, so I don't really know how it compares to the current one.

Old 06-27-2006, 12:01 PM
Active Enthusiast

I had an Accord too. It was a '99 and I loved it. I came to college, left it at home, and now my sister drives it. It's still running really well, but it's getting pretty old and she's thinking of getting rid of it.

Now, I have my TCH and I love it. The mileage is phenomenal, it doesn't have the power my Accord V6 did, but it's a pretty powerful car.

Originally, I was a Honda only guy. When the Accord hybrids came out, I was ready to buy. Thankfully, I couldn't get one in 2005 and so I waited to see the new body style for 2006. Then I read how the mileage on the HAH's are not nearly as great as the TCH's. Then I saw the new body style and I didn't like it at all.

My boyfriend bought a Rav4 and while we were at the dealer, I saw the new 2007 Camry Hybrid, fell in love with the body style and how it felt. I waited, finally got to test drive a TCH, loved IT even more, and now I have one and I don't regret a thing.

I love Toyota's customer service too. The people at the dealership are always fantastic as is the service department. Toyota's customer service offers a lot more amenities than Honda's ever did. I got a phone call from them exactly two hours after I purchased my vehicle, just to make sure everything was perfect.
As someone who switched from a Honda to a Toyota, I think it was a great switch.

Buying a TCH is a commitment. You've got to work to get one, but it's worth it. You brought up a lot of issues you don't like about the car. What do you like or LOVE about the car even?

Old 06-27-2006, 12:40 PM
Too Smug

I say go for it. I was just as apprehensive as you and I always preferred the feel of the Accord to that of the Camry. But the TCH is a whole new car, and much more fun to drive (yes, I said fun and Camry in the same sentence). Its also a real tribute to Toyota's designers and engineers, they have really packed a lot of value into this car. I still cant believe how good this car is, and I paid less than $30,000 (including taxes, tags, etc.).

Old 06-27-2006, 01:49 PM
Hybrid Head

Hey man, I was exactly in your situation about 1 1/2 month ago. And yeah my last ride was a 6th Gen Accord Coupe V6. I loved it to death. Had it sitting on Koni Yellows and Eibach Suspension all around. Handled like a dream. Sadly my ride met it's end via Rear end collision. Total Loss.

So my car shopping period began, I was definately looking for a sedan in which it had looks and a great value. Then I saw a 07 Camry and I fell in love with the new style. I thought to myself ok I'm gonna get the V6 XLE with Navi. Then I found out that there was a Hybrid model. I quickly called all around to find a model to test drive. Located one in Pasadena and test drove it. Loved it, but most of the dealers wanted Above MSRP. So I did a little more research to find a loaded one at MSRP. Found it around the Claremont Area had to drive about 50 miles from my house to get it. But oh is it a great car.

The simple fact is this your driving habits WILL change if you get a hybrid car because what is the point of going green if you're simply going to use the same driving habits.

Old 06-27-2006, 02:54 PM
Super Moderator & Contributor ($)

Sometimes it comes down to what you are used to. You might like the TCH's steering once you have had it for a while.

I've driven a Vette for years. Vettes have really beefy steering wheels and shift *****. Most all other cars feel wimpy when you are accustom to a Vette. Lately I drive the HCH most often so it feels normal. Now being used to the HCH the Vette feels uncomfortably big and bulky.

Old 06-27-2006, 03:38 PM
WVGasGuy

1. Is this a car that I can really keep for the long run? Does the car have the same resale/maintainance profile that I expect from a Toyota/Camry? Or am I going to have to take major hit years down the line (8+) when the battery is about to go and newer hybrid models reduce the demand (and resale value) of my TCH?

Are you seriously concerned about the resale value on an 8 year old Camry?

Sorry, my point I guess is that at $31,000 less my tax credits, I have less than $24,000 in this car. If I would drive this 8 years I would expect it to be a throw away and still be happy.

Last edited by WVGasGuy; 06-27-2006 at 04:43 PM.
Old 06-28-2006, 01:59 AM
Enthusiast

Wow! Thanks for everyone's responses.

nash: It's good to know that the price of the battery is $2.2k. While that's still a bit high, I was afraid it was going to be much more. I wonder if it’s a really labor intensive process, too. Have to do some searching about that.

ginway: Your experience really helped me put things in perspective. You've asked a good question about what I really like/love about the TCH. Like you, I appreciate the new Camry design; I absolutely HATED the previous generation. I also like the TCH because it’s pretty close to my current car’s characteristics (mid size sedan, somewhat spirited acceleration on demand) while being a hybrid. And I’d love to get into a hybrid for economic and environmental reasons. Sadly, the Accord Hybrid doesn’t really cut it that way. But that's why there's the TCH.

Sallyspal: I'm glad to hear you're happy with your purchase. I hope to be like you when everything is done. It is funny that you said fun and Camry in the same sentence. If I had read that a few years ago, I would have gone .

TCHandler: Wow, you were really into your old car. I never got into fixing my car up because I had other ways of spending money. So what made you go green this time around?

lakedude: Yeah, I know what you mean. I think I need to go on another test drive of the TCH to see if the second time around feels better. I drove the V6 XLE after the hybrid and it really left a bad impression on me.

WVGasGuy: Don't be sorry; I think you have a valid point. I’m willing to go Hybrid so long as the overall cost (gas, insurance, repair, etc.) is pretty close to what I would have paid for a regular car (another Accord, regular Camry, or something else that is similar). That would include some guess of a resale value, too. I think the regular Camry is a pretty safe bet given history, but the Hybrid seems different enough that it might follow another trend. I’m not looking a TCH to save (much) money; I think if I wanted a really cheap to own car, I’d end up with a Corolla, non hybrid Civic, or maybe even something used that is one to two years old.

I think another test drive is going to help. Sadly, they only demo car I've seen are fully loaded and I've decided against paying for leather. Would be nice if I could rent my ideal TCH for a month or so; that would probably seal the deal for me.