TCH CVT WS fluid change

Search this Thread

Old 04-18-2015, 04:17 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH CVT WS fluid change

OK, you win

Toyota used a Power Split Transmission (PST) in the 1997 Prius, and all subsequent Toyota and Lexus hybrids sold internationally continue to use the system (marketed under the Hybrid Synergy Drive name). The HSD is also referred to as an Electronically controlled Continuously variable Transmission. The PST allows either the electric motor or the internal combustion engine (ICE) or both to propel the vehicle. In ICE-only mode, part of the engine's power is mechanically coupled to the drivetrain, with the other part going through a generator and a motor. The amount of power being channeled through the electrical path determine the effective gear ratio. Toyota also offers a non-hybrid CVT called Multidrive for models such as Avensis.

You are also wrong:

Like a CVT, an HSD transmission continuously adjusts the effective gear ratio between the engine and the wheels to maintain the engine speed while the wheels increase their rotational speed during acceleration. This is why Toyota describes HSD-equipped vehicles as having an e-CVT (electronic continuously variable transmission) when required to classify the transmission type for standards specification lists or regulatory purposes.

So technically, it is not a CVT. It's lawyers talk.

Old 04-19-2015, 01:57 AM
Enthusiast

Is it a good idea to change the transmission fluid while the car is on ramps. Will the slope of the ramp prevent all of the fluid coming out?

Old 08-28-2017, 07:54 PM
Enthusiast

whats the plug use for??

https://goo.gl/photos/mh41cFFt2bUzUdwV8

Old 11-17-2017, 07:24 AM
Enthusiast

Wonder i can use the same logic for my 2014 avalon hybrid. Heard it is same system.

Also the new plug on tiglucy's picture, wonder what is that.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:18 AM

If you were to open that plug in question, there is little space behind it and some metal plate covering it. It is NOT filler plug. I had my finger in the hole. As much as I am nosy type, I care less what it is. Does it really matter?
I also know that you absolutely do NOT touch plug at the bottom of transmission. At the very bottom, facing ground. That's inverter coolant drain plug. It looks like it's ATF lowermost drain area but it's not.
Principles of PSD operation are same cross the lineup. Some have larger this or that, but principles are same.

Old 11-18-2017, 07:20 AM

Originally Posted by 2009TCH
Is it a good idea to change the transmission fluid while the car is on ramps. Will the slope of the ramp prevent all of the fluid coming out?
No, because it is drain and fill to drip replacement. Hence, you need to have vehicle horizontal as much as possible, or you will not have proper drain and proper fill. So sure, ramps are fine - as far as they are under all four wheels.

Old 11-18-2017, 01:43 PM
Enthusiast

Thanks. Need to go and buy the fluid and two washers. 4 qts of WS ATF. Car have 42.5K on it. Bought it CPO at 35.5k. Don't think it was ever changed.

Old 11-20-2017, 08:24 AM
Enthusiast

ukrkoz, at what mileage you changed the ATF? Was it black or still pink?

When i did the ATF in my 2002 Passat long time back at 80k (lifetime fluid as per VW), it was still looking ok. But some kind of organic fluid. It smells and feels like kind of honey. It was $25/qt for OEM fluid at dealership. I used the castrol multi vehicle import ATF which was $6/qt. Changed again at 120K. It was looking slight dark color but was working great.

Old 04-02-2018, 07:55 AM
Enthusiast

Just gave it to dealership for this. They charge $299 for this (here in Dallas, TX) . Little more than i expected. Car have 45k on it. He was also pushing for filters and coolant change. 100k life coolant change at 45k is too early. I was planning to do it by my self, but the warranty issues, i thought of giving it to them.

Old 05-02-2019, 06:08 AM
Enthusiast

Great guide. Will be using it to change ATF for inlaws 08 TCH. Anyone know if drain + fill bolt torque spec is 35 ft.lbf?