TCH holding period for Tax Credit

Search this Thread

Old 09-05-2006, 06:58 AM
Enthusiast
Default TCH holding period for Tax Credit

Does anyone know how long you must own the TCH to be eligible to take the federal tax credit for 2006? Everything I have read indicates when the car must purchased by to get the credit, but not the holding period. Just a question as I have no intention of selling mine. Thanks

Old 09-05-2006, 07:26 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH holding period for Tax Credit

I believe that the IRS has yet to issue guidance regarding the recapture of the credit. Until they issue such, I would use 3 years as a rule of thumb.

Please don't take this as tax advice. Consult your accountant before relying on any information with tax consequences.

Old 09-05-2006, 07:38 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

And how would they know if you didn't hold it 3 years?

Old 09-05-2006, 08:07 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by kluken
And how would they know if you didn't hold it 3 years?
Probably the same way they'd know if you overstated your charitable contributions. You're on the honor system, but if audited they could easily find it out.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:25 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I guess I would be interested in knowing the real answer as I rarely hold a car more than 24-28 months.

Old 09-05-2006, 10:45 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

Originally Posted by kluken
I guess I would be interested in knowing the real answer as I rarely hold a car more than 24-28 months.
Here are the rules:
http://www.irs.gov/newsroom/article/...157557,00.html

I don't see anything at all about holding it for a certain period of time.

Here is the non-final version of the tax form:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f8910.pdf

It may change prior to distribution of tax forms at end of year.

Last edited by TKCamry; 09-05-2006 at 10:50 AM.
Old 09-05-2006, 05:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

It's possible the gov't doesn't care about a holding period. If you sell the car a month after purchase, there is still one more hybrid vehicle on the road, and theoretically one less non-hybrid. This might also be evidenced by the fact that with a lease, the leasing company gets the tax credit. Maybe the legislators or IRS didn't really think that far down the line (improbable, but possible.)

Old 09-05-2006, 05:26 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by Eskimonio
It's possible the gov't doesn't care about a holding period. If you sell the car a month after purchase, there is still one more hybrid vehicle on the road, and theoretically one less non-hybrid. This might also be evidenced by the fact that with a lease, the leasing company gets the tax credit. Maybe the legislators or IRS didn't really think that far down the line (improbable, but possible.)
And I am guessing that the credit can only be had once (and you have to list the VIN number on the form). Therefore, if you take the credit, and then sell it to someone else, they CAN'T take the credit again.

Obviously this is all speculation on my part, and I fully intend to keep mine for a long time (as long as I don't hit any more deer)!