Search this Thread

Old 10-23-2008, 09:04 AM
it's just a car...
Default TCH not among Newsweek's 10 "most fuel efficient"

This current online article,
America's Most Fuel Efficient Cars
By Tara Weingarten
http://www.newsweek.com/id/123631
lists "the 10 most fuel efficient cars".

The Mazda MX-5 Miata @22/27 and Honda Accord LX @21/31
are included, but the TCH is not.

Email the editors:
webeditors@newsweek.com

Old 10-23-2008, 09:17 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH not among Newsweek's 10 "most fuel efficient"

Lists, lists, lists.
There are hundreds of lists (it's an easy way to get someone to visit your site " ...click here for the top ten...")
Someone should have a list of the top ten hybrid ratings lists

...and with the price of fuel plummeting, who needs a fuel efficient car? (that was an attempt at sarcasm, no need to respond)

Last edited by haroldo; 10-23-2008 at 09:41 AM.
Old 10-24-2008, 08:16 AM
it's just a car...

Thanks for the reply.
While I agree that anyone can make a list, Newsweek presents theirs as fact.
Promoting models with 21 or 22 mpg as "America's Most Fuel Efficient" is simply inaccuate.

Old 10-24-2008, 08:23 AM
The Regenerator

My comments appear under my "discrete" internet "callsign," "torkaholic". This sort of reporting only serves to erode and undercut the publication's credibility.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:28 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

What does "Newsweek" know about fuel efficient vehicles anyways?? That would be the last place i would go and trust for the "best" fuel efficient vehicles. After reading that article they get last place. That just shows that you can't trust everything you read, even more so now.

Old 10-26-2008, 04:35 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Not sure if it really matters. If someone is interested in finding a fuel efficient car, they will look at the sticker and decide for themselves. Of course, that assumes the buyer has half a brain and can determine whether 22 MPG is a high level, or not.
I can't say for sure, but I believe Newsweek (and other media outlets) receive payments for these type of lists as well as other forms of promotion (advertisements). Do you think it was coincidence that Bruce Springsteen was on the cover of Time and Newsweek the same week? I wonder how much they were paid for that. Don't trust the media!

Old 10-27-2008, 07:40 AM
Active Enthusiast

However, Consumer Reports just rated the TCH one of the most reliable family cars available. This is specifically the Camry Hybrid. Apparently the Hybrid is the most reliable Camry available! We already knew that the TCH is a great choice from fuel ecconomy point of view, but now we know that it is also one of the best choices from a reliability point of view. Interestingly, the Prius was the most reliable car in this class. The Altima hybrid was also on the short list. Therefore half of the most reliable family cars were hybrids.

IMO, the TCH is certainly the best Camry out there, and if you, like me, do not fit well into a Prius, the TCH is an unmatched blend of reliability, fuel ecconomy, performance and price. Looks are very subjective, but I happen to find the Camry to be very good looking, at least from the outside.