TCH Top EV speed

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2011, 12:41 AM
Enthusiast
Default TCH Top EV speed

Hi Everyone,

I am just wondering what's your top pure EV speed for your TCH. My 2009 TCH can only go at speed between 65km/h to 70km/h in pure EV mode, any speed above 70km/h, ICE will kick in.

Outside temperature is at around 16C with no air conditioning nor heat on. The ICE will still kick in even when I am not pressing on the gas pedal at speed above 70km/h.

Thanks!

Old 05-19-2011, 07:41 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TCH Top EV speed

~42 MPH...numerous threads on the topic, probably one in my signature.

Old 05-19-2011, 11:58 AM

I believe the way TCH transaxle works (power split device, similar to differential), if the ICE is stationary, at around 42MPH one of the electric motors will reach it's maximum rotation speed, so at that speed the ICE will be spin up to take out some of the RPM and slow down the electric motor. TCH can spin ICE without burning any fuel, so let's say going down the hill, the fact ICE is spinning doesn't mean much, you're still pretty much full electric. Of course free spinning ICE takes good amount of electric power all by itself, so if you demand any meaningful acceleration, ICE will fire to help out.

Old 05-19-2011, 02:15 PM

haroldo is right. officially. unofficially, my TCH lies 4mph on speedo. it shows speed higher, 4 miles worth, than the true speed.
checked by GPS.
now, let me spice up things for you. TCH ECU DOES KNOW that speedo is showing upped speed, as I had scangauge connected to TCH, and that will show true speed OFF ECU SENSORS.

for easily confused, scangauge will show 40mph, GPS will show 40mph, speedo will show 44mph.

why am i posting this here? guess what. ECU will turn ICE on at 42mph speedo speed, not actual 38mph speed. ok, this needs to be corrected; not at actual 42mph speed, or 46mph on speedo. now we are good.

that's why i said - yes, haroldo is correct, it should be around 42mph. reason being MG2 reaches dangerously high rpms at that speed, and needs to be disengaged.

but in reality, for my car - it's 38mph.

how is that influencing my mpg - that would be a good question to haroldo, right, man?

Last edited by ukrkoz; 05-19-2011 at 02:17 PM.
Old 05-19-2011, 07:35 PM

This display error is by design and if I remember correctly if you search this forum you'll find why (for one thing as tire is getting worn out it.s diameter will get different), who does it etc. and if it's by agreement.

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
haroldo is right. officially. unofficially, my TCH lies 4mph on speedo. it shows speed higher, 4 miles worth, than the true speed.
checked by GPS.
now, let me spice up things for you. TCH ECU DOES KNOW that speedo is showing upped speed, as I had scangauge connected to TCH, and that will show true speed OFF ECU SENSORS.

for easily confused, scangauge will show 40mph, GPS will show 40mph, speedo will show 44mph.

why am i posting this here? guess what. ECU will turn ICE on at 42mph speedo speed, not actual 38mph speed. ok, this needs to be corrected; not at actual 42mph speed, or 46mph on speedo. now we are good.

that's why i said - yes, haroldo is correct, it should be around 42mph. reason being MG2 reaches dangerously high rpms at that speed, and needs to be disengaged.

but in reality, for my car - it's 38mph.

how is that influencing my mpg - that would be a good question to haroldo, right, man?

Old 05-19-2011, 07:54 PM

i don't have to. i have read an article on speedo errors, by agreement or unintentional. it's not just TCH. about all makes have this to some degree. basically, now i understand, how pissed folks behind were, when i was lawfully dragging at what i believed was 35 mph.

that's not the point. point is - ECU reads correct speed. yet, it somehow turns ICE on before it reaches real 42mph. does it at 38mph.

other point is - how does it influence mpg. is it improving it or making it worse?

Old 05-20-2011, 07:13 AM
HSD Organic Interface

The metric TCH speedos have tended to be set more accurately, and since you quote km/h I assume you have a metric speedo, so you will see about 67kph as your max EV speed.

Old 05-24-2011, 08:09 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by ukrkoz
... ECU reads correct speed...
ECU reads MG RPM so speedo inaccuracy doesn't damage the components

Old 05-25-2011, 12:00 AM

My '07 TCH speedometer reads 42 mph when the ICE kicks in. That is the same as 67.7 km.

The cars I have owned in the mid 80's to present, read 1 mph fast when driving 40. The TCH at 42 mph reads 41 on the GPS and also the scangauge.

Old 06-10-2011, 07:31 AM
Enthusiast

My new TCH speed-O reads 42 and GPS is 42 when the ICE kicks in.