Terk integrated XM tuner for Gen6

Search this Thread

Old 01-26-2007, 04:48 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Terk integrated XM tuner for Gen6

Excellent post flop. I'm very interested inseeing your pics. I almost considered doing the Toyota/Dealer XM but two dealerships kept jerking me around so I held off... This sounds like it would be a better solution.

My question - does the installation of the XM prohibit the installation of a back-up camera?

Old 02-03-2007, 12:33 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Attached are two pics. The first just shows the two XM modules while I was hooking everything up. The second pic shows the final placement of the two modules.

Old 02-03-2007, 07:34 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by OmegaOmega
Excellent post flop. I'm very interested inseeing your pics. I almost considered doing the Toyota/Dealer XM but two dealerships kept jerking me around so I held off... This sounds like it would be a better solution.

My question - does the installation of the XM prohibit the installation of a back-up camera?

Not at all.

I just completed the XM/rear camera install. I wanted to do them at the same time for obvious reasons. My only advice on the whole thing is to modify the R10 connector (per jagbagri's awesome walkthrough) prior to plugging in the XM direct into the aux cd changer jack. The jack it plugs into is right above the R10 jack, and the XM harness is really tight and hard to remove (at least mine was).

Both modules for XM ended up fitting right where Flopshot put them as well. There's a lot of room down there and ultimately if your "garage door" console box won't reinstall correctly, then you need to mash it down in there some more (gently of course).

Much thanks to Flopshot for starting this thread. After hearing my dealer's $950 estimate I was just resigned to using my Roady XT. And by the way XMfanstore is also the cheapest (by far) way to get the XM Direct. At $99.00 and a fairly painless install, it is a steal!

Also way big thanks to jagbagri for that incredible walkthrough for the camera. I would post some pictures of the install, but no need; Just look at his picures, I copied his install exactly down to where the camera wire comes out through the plate light.

Thanks again,
Mark

Old 04-05-2007, 06:37 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

My dealer installed my XM radio with the antenna in the rear window. That was OK until I tinted my windows yesterday (I was aware that this might happen but tintinting was a must).
My dealer refuses to move the antenna and says it would be a major pain to try to remove the anttena from the place it is stuck now.

What options do you guys think I have to get the antenna stuck to the trunk lid?
If it's stuck so hard, I'm considering leaving the current antenna where it is and installing a new one.
Is there somewhere where I can get another antenna that would plug into the "toyota" unit?
I heard the connector was not standard. Are there adapters for aftermarket antennas?

Old 04-05-2007, 09:35 AM

If I recall correctly, the factory antenna is a magnetic mount, and the factory kit comes with a ground plate that is stuck to the rear deck. Is this what you have? If so, then the dealer is just being too lazy to remove the ground plate and clean up the sticky mess. So, you can do this yourself, once you pry the ground plate off, you can just use Goo Gone to clean up the sticky residue. Then, you can remount the antenna on the trunk lid if you have enough slack in the antenna wire. You can remove the rear seat and the C-pillar cover to pass the antenna into the trunk and feed the wire as necessary. One person even stuck the magnetic antenna to the underside of the rear deck lid, because it was made of steel.

Old 04-05-2007, 11:07 AM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Originally Posted by flopshot
If I recall correctly, the factory antenna is a magnetic mount, and the factory kit comes with a ground plate that is stuck to the rear deck. Is this what you have? If so, then the dealer is just being too lazy to remove the ground plate and clean up the sticky mess. So, you can do this yourself, once you pry the ground plate off, you can just use Goo Gone to clean up the sticky residue. Then, you can remount the antenna on the trunk lid if you have enough slack in the antenna wire. You can remove the rear seat and the C-pillar cover to pass the antenna into the trunk and feed the wire as necessary. One person even stuck the magnetic antenna to the underside of the rear deck lid, because it was made of steel.
Thanks for the info. I just left my desk and went out and looked at it again. I was assuming that the rear deck was fuzzy material but it's just plastic. That makes it much easier getting the plate off.
With no tools, I tried popping the antenna up but it must have a really strong magnet. I'll need to try with a putty knife.

This person that mounted it to the underside of the rear deck lid...wouldn't this make it dificult to get reception???

Old 04-05-2007, 12:50 PM

Originally Posted by wilsons66604
This person that mounted it to the underside of the rear deck lid...wouldn't this make it dificult to get reception???
He says reception isn't a problem:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t179461.html

Old 04-05-2007, 01:30 PM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

Originally Posted by flopshot
He says reception isn't a problem:
http://www.toyotanation.com/forum/t179461.html
I wonder why a flimsy window film would cause reception problems then. I guess it's worth a try before I put it on the outside.

Old 04-05-2007, 04:02 PM
Led-footed HyBrid geek

I just verified that the TCH XM antenna is not magnetic. It's stuck to the metal plate with 3m tape or something.
ALSO:
I noticed that my reception is OK as long as I'm not driving west. What's with that???

Old 07-23-2007, 10:17 AM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

As posted earlier, I have an Audiovox Xpress mounted on the console, just in front of the open bin. I've been happy with it generally, but as a result of this thread, and the desire to get an integrated solution and reduce the chance that someone would try to steal the Xpress, I'm having the TERK XM Direct installed later this week.

Hurley's Auto Audio in McLean, VA will do the work. They quoted $580 for a Toyota factory install, or $380 for the TERK XM Direct. My dealer wanted $608 for the Toyota install.

The functionality with either is the same, and TERK likely make both units. The difference is that the Toyota unit mounts in the trunk, has a long cable to connect to the head unit, and a short antenna cable. The TERK unit will be mounted where flopshot did his, and it comes with a long antenna cable, so it can be run to where it needs to be.

Hurley Auto Audio has been around for 33 years, and has did a couple of other installs for me years ago. I'm reasonably confident they'll be able to do the work without scratching up the interior of the car. I'm certain, based on past experience, that any dealer would tear something up doing the Toyota install.

Quick Reply: Terk integrated XM tuner for Gen6

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands