Terk integrated XM tuner for Gen6

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 05:48 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Terk integrated XM tuner for Gen6

I tore out my integrated Terk XM system last night and went back to my Roady XT due to reliability problems. It was great to have an integrated system but I had the following troubles:

1. Nav system appeared to lose all presets, only able to get XM preview, couldn't even see radio ID on ch. 000. Corrected itself after car was parked all day (happened a few times).

2. Total loss of of XM as if it were not installed. Occurred approximately 1 mile before a bus ran into me and did $3,500 in damage. (Talk about a lousy day.) Problem corrected 3 weeks later when I got the car back, possibly due to battery being disconnected during repair work (happened once).

I had gone back in and inspected all connectors and connections - no recessed pins or separated wires that I could find but there must be a gremlin in there somewhere. Since I haven't noticed other complaints along these lines I assume the problem was just with my hardware.

Old 07-31-2007, 06:39 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Just fyi, I have not had a single problem with my Terk since I installed it. (knock on wood)

Last edited by flopshot; 02-14-2008 at 02:57 PM.
Old 02-14-2008, 02:57 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Update to this year-old thread...

After I purchased these Terk XM-Direct parts last year for $99, the price quickly went up. At a price over $200, it was almost as costly as the factory kit. That prevented a lot of people from buying it. But it looks like Terk is discontinuing this product for the newer XM-Direct 2, so the original XM-Direct is on sale again for $99 after rebates. If you wanted to install XM to your factory radio, this is a great deal. I have had zero problems with this kit since I installed it last year.

http://store.xmfanstore.com/texmfortovex.html

Old 04-29-2008, 08:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

I found this Terk XM Kit on http://www.myradiostore.com (both parts) for $129 after rebate. It came yesterday and I installed it last night in about 2 hours. I followed the excellent directions from Flopshot that made this install go very quickly and it works great. I probably could have had it done in about 90 minutes but I decided to utilize the stealth antenna position described here:

https://www.greenhybrid.com/discuss/...ocation-12398/

That took me about 30 minutes to get the antenna in position. After folding down the rear passenger seat, I lifted the plastic rear deck which popped out far enough to see inside. Under the insulation to the right of the right rear speaker, there is what looks like a structural support. It is under the vent cover to the battery. I pushed the antenna with a yardstick along that support and angled it to the left of the support to miss the tab that connects the rear deck to the metal underneath. I pushed it far enough that it went down onto the second lower shelf where it stuck to the shelf.

I figure the antenna is behind the rear speaker and attached by magnet to the bottom rear shelf. I was worried about the reception since the satellites are over the equator and when the car faces south I might get some interference. Since my driveway is south facing, I backed in to activate the radio and test. I had absolutely no problem with the antenna placement and the radio activated after about 10 minutes. On my commute this morning I heard only one dropout while going under a bridge (not a surprise) but otherwise the radio is working flawlessly.

I tried to take pictures but they did not come out at all due to the lack of light. Although I will say it was very easy to figure out and put the antenna in position.