These warranty problems are driving me nuts.

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2007, 07:59 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: These warranty problems are driving me nuts.

My moon roof did exactly the same thing. It sounded like it was going to break when it popped. I took it to the dealer and they said that the tracks were misaligned and corrected it quickly. He also corrected the squeaking brakes also (TSB). I have had a few minor queaks here and there, but nothing major (knock on wood). My dealer has been responsive to my claims. Good luck.

Old 12-23-2007, 02:25 PM
TCH 2007 newbie May 07

Originally Posted by McGyver
Wow. That's harsh.

I just rented a GM product for three days after my wife's car blew an engine...

Are you sure Toyota is THAT bad?
With the quality decreases being reported in Toyota's various models, I don't think it's harsh, just reflective of the reality that for the money, we're getting less and less. Very GM-like. Not to mention the others.

Now with GM kicking things up, like with the new Malibu and CTS, I'd say they're gunning for more sales with their improved offerings (excepting the complaints over the Mali's interior). Ford has a new slate of product in the pipeline as well. Dunno about Chrysler. And the rest of the competition isn't sleeping either.

So over time the manufacturers will probably all meet somewhere in the middle quality-wise, with Toyota giving up the edge, as they have been proving lately.

I believe it was this year that some big-shot Japanese Toyota executive made the comment that perhaps Toyota produces 'too much' quality. I wanted to barf when I read that. He should have to deal with the typically schlocky 'I couldn't care less' dealership crew over engineering's booboo's and defects.

Many comments out there on the lessened Tundra quality, coming from die-hard Toyota customers, not to mention Camry and Avalon taking their dives as well.

Take a new Rav4 for a ride. Check out the thin windshield, the spartan interior, the cheap dash controls. We had a plain-Jane as a loaner. Very declasse'. And that part underneath the engineers designed to rip right off if something impacts it just right, what a joke, some expensive item I believe. Some fellow on a Rav4 board has designed and is selling an installable steel shield to members.

We have three Toyota's in our driveway, because, so far, dollar for dollar, they have proven themselves to be the best value in terms of reliability, economy of operation (read: not a lot of out-of-warranty repairs), comfort, and resale value.

So the next time anyone has to take their vehicle in for any type of unexpected repair or the ever-thin paint takes another hit, he or she might think back to that executive's comment about quality, and how perhaps some of his or her dollars used to pay for their vehicle might have gone into the Toyota profit kitty instead of better quality components, assembly techniques, or what have you. Or perhaps into the executives' pockets instead of what is sitting in our driveways.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:05 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

After reading the comments in this thread, all I say is that if Toyota quality is declining, it must have been truly incredible before. After years of Ford, then GM cars, moving into my TCH has been an astounding step up! Everything from the fit and finish to lack of problems has been just outstanding. I would never go back.

Old 12-23-2007, 03:22 PM
Beyond AM. Beyond FM.

I was beginning to think that Ford quality had caught up to Toyota when I looked (and listened to) the interior of a buddy's Ford Edge. But he's had it 6 months or so, and at the first oil change at the shop he's used for years, they told him the differential was leaking and he should take it back to the dealer for warranty repairs.

He did just that, but vowed to me that if he has any more such issues, he's getting out of it and into a Highlander.

Old 12-23-2007, 05:50 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

If you have owned older Toyota's you will know their quality is decreasing. I had an 01 Highlander and the fit and finish was perfect. The materials inside were first rate and not cheap plastics. My mom has an 03 Camry SE loaded out and it had much better materials than her new 07 XLE. Someone coming from GM or Ford should still think a lot is good with Toyota, but myself having owned several older ones I know it is slipping. I also think the majority of these comments are coming from people like me who have owned older Toyota's. The paint is horrible now and the interior plastics remind me of a Dodge. IMO the engines and major components are still above the American car makers so it is still worth buying a Toyota. Heck after being a bit disappointed in the fit and finish in my Hybrid, I still told my mom to get the XLE and I went out a year later and bought the Tundra. I really love them all.

On a side note I don't think Toyota has figured out how to make a 6 speed transmission yet.

Old 12-23-2007, 09:09 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by FL07THC
...The paint is horrible now...
AMEN. I hate the paint quality of my car. My #1 complaint. Just simply sucks.

Old 12-24-2007, 06:48 PM
Active Enthusiast

As an over 15+ years owner of new Toyota vehicles (Camrys, pickup trucks, 4Runners, Sienna), I can assure you Toyota quality is going down the hill (especially paint quality)... I really miss my 1993 Camry... if quality continues to decline, I might start looking somewhere else... no wonder Toyota is number 6 behind honda number 5 in overall problem/issues statistics also Lexus lost its first spot to Buick...

Yes, TOYOTA quality absolutely is declining, do you hear that TOYOTA, wake up....

Last edited by agnosto; 12-24-2007 at 06:52 PM.
Old 12-27-2007, 07:49 PM
Active Enthusiast

Still driving my 05 HCH with no problems 23K ib 2.5 years, only one computer update. Was going to be thinking about a new hybrid, possibly a Camry Hybrid, but dont like what I read here!

Old 12-28-2007, 05:37 AM
TCH 2007 newbie May 07

At this price level, the TCH could possibly be a "best buy" regardless of what you read. Given its size, comfort level, and efficiency, it was for me. I'd buy it again.

With the mid-east tension meter going off the scale, almost any hybrid purchase just might turn out to be a "best buy" (excepting GM's new 'gas hog' "hybrids").

Old 12-28-2007, 06:33 AM
Active Enthusiast

Plus, I think those having major issues are a very small minority of owners. That doesn't diminish their pain, but Toyota quality is still up there, even if they slipped off the pedestal above everybody else. So far, after about 18 months and 15k miles, all we've had is the center console squeak, which is a design issue, not assembly quality.

Knowing what I know about Toyota's culture and internal processes (I teach improvement and process excellence for a living), I'd be surprised if they don't pull themselves back up pretty quickly.

Quick Reply: These warranty problems are driving me nuts.

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands