Thinking of getting a rear spoiler

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2008, 09:35 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Thinking of getting a rear spoiler

Would a rear spoiler lower my mpg's any?
I love my 08 TCH, currently getting 37.2mpg (was as high as 37.7 during the summer).
I'm thinking of pimpin' it out a little.
Any thoughts?

Old 12-16-2008, 09:50 AM
Along for the ride.....
Default Re: Thinking of getting a rear spoiler

It couldn't make that much of a difference - go for it. You only live once...

plus they make great grab bars when the driveway is icy :o)

Old 12-16-2008, 09:56 AM

Never thought of using it as a grab bar. Great idea!

Old 12-16-2008, 06:23 PM
Active Enthusiast

I had the dealer add one to mine before I picked it up. I like the way it looks.

Old 12-16-2008, 07:11 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

The core purpose of a rear spoiler is to help keep the car more "fastened" to the roadbed via downforce. More "weight" on the wheels.

So yes, FE will suffer, but only, really, if you are one of those nonsensical hypermilers.

Old 12-17-2008, 07:53 AM
Enthusiast

I have a wing spoiler on my 08 Honda Accord, and I've noticed no changes at all to my mpgs before it was put on. I've seen a lot of TCH here with spoilers, and I must say the camry lip spoiler looks real nice and makes the lines more smoother and complete in the back IMO. If they made a TCH with the SE body style, I'd be set! I'm thinking of getting one for my TCH myself. Good luck!

Last edited by ElkGroveGreen; 12-17-2008 at 07:59 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 03:29 PM

I installed one on my '08 and noticed no difference in my MPG. I also added an entire body kit and noticed no difference in MPG.

Old 12-17-2008, 06:57 PM
TEH
Enthusiast

I installed one myself that I purchased from Toyota. Definitely improves the looks of the car IMO.

For a good deal on a spoiler contact the parts department at Fred Anderson Toyota (919.787.8101) and ask to talk to Thomas. You will also need to purchase the drilling template as 4-5 holes need to be drilled in the trunklid to secure the spoiler (it secures with bolts as well as contact tape). Scared me to death at first drilling holes in the trunklid of my new $30K car, but the template made it nearly impossible to screw up. I also purchased and installed the body side moulding as well. No drilling to install these. It took me a little over an hour to install everything (and saved me hundreds of dollars vs what the stealer was going to charge as pre-purchase options).

Last edited by TEH; 12-17-2008 at 06:59 PM.
Old 12-18-2008, 12:19 AM
Pragmatist

Spoilers are supposed to add some down force to the rear of front-heavy cars, to improve handling. The airfoil is small and inefficient, so at "legal" speeds it doesn't do much at all. The weight distribution on the TCH is 57/43 (front/back), so a little down force might be beneficial if you are prone to drive at illegal speeds. I personally don't like the way they look, and I can't remember the last time I drove much faster than 80, so I don't have one on my own car.

If you want to install one, though, here's a tip: After you drill the holes in the trunk lid, use a little primer to dress the edges of the holes. Use a q-tip for a brush. Then try to avoid scratching the primer while you insert the bolts. Also put some auto body sealer (aka, caulk) on that area before closing it up. The priming and sealing takes just a few minutes, but will delay the arrival of rust in that area by many years.

Old 12-18-2008, 08:28 AM

I called my dealer (more like a stealer) and he gave me a cost of over $450 installed.
No thanks!
A spoiler would have looked nice, but not that nice.

Quick Reply: Thinking of getting a rear spoiler

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands