Which Tire gauge is better?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2011, 07:03 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Which Tire gauge is better?

I am going to purchase a nice tire gauge and after doing some research and reviews, these two seem to be two of the best ones,
can you tell me which one is better for my TCH 2007?
THANKS

http://www.joesracing.com/index.php?...roduct_id=1068

http://www.amazon.com/Accutire-MS-43...tag=slickdeals

Old 10-14-2011, 04:30 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Which Tire gauge is better?

My personal preference is the Accutire, being it's digital and that it cost less.

Old 10-14-2011, 05:32 PM

digital is more accurate. of course, you can buy a cheapo one for a dollar, with no accuracy..

Old 10-15-2011, 06:10 AM
Active Enthusiast

I have been using this one for year, made by a company called "Slime"

http://www.amazon.com/Michelin-MN-44...f=pd_sim_auto2

It has worked great for me.

Old 10-16-2011, 02:06 PM
Pragmatist

Do not confuse "accuracy" with "resolution". Digital gauges that display three decimal places of "resolution" are not more accurate than dial gauges, or even other digital gauges that display only one decimal place. The extra lcd digits are cheap, and people are impressed by them, but the presence of extra digits on the display does _not_ mean the device is more accurate.

If you actually want accuracy, buy a unit that is "calibrated". Calibration is a procedure that uses laboratory equipment to adjust the individual gauge. The calibration process can be done DIY. For one how-to, see, http://www.carsdirect.com/car-repair...pressure-gauge

(Hint -- Calibration takes labor. Inexpensive gauges are not calibrated.)

One consumer-grade pressure gauge that claims to be individually calibrated is, Moroso model 89560 Tire Pressure Gauge. I am sure there are others.

Old 10-18-2011, 04:29 AM

Does precision (three decimal points and calibration) in passenger car tire pressure really matter?
I can see Indy car pit crews requiring it and maybe velodrome cyclists, but what difference is it if your car tire is a half a pound more or less off when driving to Home Depot? Will the car explode if it's not set exactly right? As it is, the pressure changes constantly throughout the day as the tire's and ambient condition's temperature change.
Do people look at the temperature gauge while driving and if the outside temperature rises a few degrees they jump out and check all their tires?
Do people weigh themselves before getting in a car to make sure the car carries a consistent load? If one carries passengers, do they weigh them and add the appropriate tire pressure to compensate for the extra load.
How many times a day does one need to check their tire pressure?
A $5 gauge available everywhere will get you within spitting distance and using this system, you'll be able to enjoy 40,000 miles, or more, with the tires.
Why the need for such precision?

Last edited by haroldo; 10-18-2011 at 04:49 AM.
Old 10-22-2011, 12:46 PM
Pragmatist

Originally Posted by haroldo
Does precision (three decimal points and calibration) in passenger car tire pressure really matter?
I doubt it. It is good to have the two front sides close to the same pressure, so the car doesn't pull left or right. But, I really doubt there is any important difference between 40 psi and 41 psi. And, I am certain there is not any important difference between 40.000 psi and 40.001 psi.

Old 10-22-2011, 08:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

I used to rent a 2011 malibu on my florida trip and it has a tire pressure display on each tire. The pressure varies on the temperature during the day, as long as you keep the same pressure on your tires it will be ok. The digital display just eliminates that issue compared to an analogue gauge. Even if it's way off the calibration by 2 or 5 psi, IMHO it doesn't matter as long as you keep the 2 front tires the same as well as the rears.

I hope toyota does this kind of display instead of a basic warning indicator but I won't buy a Chevy..

Old 10-24-2011, 12:06 PM

I would venture to say that it shouldn't make any difference if the gauge is miscalibrated by a couple pounds, but it should read the identical number for multiple measurements of the same pressure so you have the same ammount of inflation from tire to tire.

That's the importance of a good digital gauge IMO.

Last edited by Hot_Georgia_2004; 10-24-2011 at 12:10 PM.