Tire Pressure?

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-2006, 07:08 AM
2007 Barcelona Red Camry
Default Tire Pressure?

I just purchased my TCH about 2 months ago and am loving it. Lately I noticed the mpg rating has decreased so I came here to find out what others are getting. After reading probable causes I figured to check the tire pressure. Sure enough mine were at 26psi. The door recommends 32psi, others on this board recommend 40 or a little more but my Bridgestones says "max psi 51lbs". What is the real consesus here?

Thanks
Ric

Old 10-04-2006, 07:17 AM
Enthusiast
Cool Re: Tire Pressure?

Great question. I am also in the same situation. I just recently up'd my tire pressure to 45lbs. So far I don't see any changes however I am only about a quarter of a tank into this. I will post what I find out. But anyone with some experienced input would be helpful!!

Old 10-04-2006, 07:36 AM
Default Re: Tire Pressure?

Go as high with tire pressure as you feel comfortable with. It helps a lot from say 32 to 45 or so. After that the benefit kind of slows down. I recomend max sidewall.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:41 AM
Engineering Professor

The "consensus" is don't go over the sidewall rating, but you can approach it to improve MPG. If the door panel suggests different Front/Rear PSI, maintain the difference when you run higher PSI overall.

Most of those that run 42/40 (including me) have a sidewall rating of 44 PSI max pressure on their tires.

JeffD

Old 10-04-2006, 07:54 AM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

http://www.tirerack.com/tires/tirete...currentpage=38

Disadvantages of Overinflation

An overinflated tire is stiff and unyielding and the size of its footprint in contact with the road is reduced. If a vehicle's tires are overinflated by 6 psi, they could be damaged more easily when encountering potholes or debris in the road, as well as experience irregular tread wear. Higher inflated tires cannot isolate road irregularities as well causing the vehicle to ride harsher and transmit more noise into its interior. However, higher inflation pressures reduce rolling resistance slightly and typically provide a slight improvement in steering response and cornering stability. This is why participants who use street tires in autocrosses, track events and road races run higher than normal inflation pressures.

Disadvantages of Underinflation

An underinflated tire can't maintain its shape and becomes flatter than intended while in contact with the road. If a vehicle's tires are underinflated by only 6 psi it could weaken the tire's internal structure and eventually lead to tire failure. Lower inflation pressures will allow more deflection as the tire rolls. This will build up more internal heat, increase rolling resistance (causing a reduction in fuel economy of up to 5%) and reduce the tire's tread life by as much as 25% while increasing the probability of irregular treadwear. Drivers would also find a noteworthy loss of steering precision and cornering stability. While 6 psi doesn't seem excessively low, it typically represents about 20% of a passenger car tire's recommended pressure.

Old 10-04-2006, 07:54 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Do a search on "tire pressure" on this website. There are EXTENSIVE discussions available for perusal.

Old 10-04-2006, 08:10 AM

Originally Posted by joystix2
I just purchased my TCH about 2 months ago and am loving it. Lately I noticed the mpg rating has decreased so I came here to find out what others are getting. After reading probable causes I figured to check the tire pressure. Sure enough mine were at 26psi. The door recommends 32psi, others on this board recommend 40 or a little more but my Bridgestones says "max psi 51lbs". What is the real consesus here?

Thanks
Ric
You may as well head to Washington and look for a consensus among politicians. More of a chance of that happening. Personally, I upped mine from 32 to 40 psi. Can't say as I see much of a change.

Old 10-04-2006, 09:41 AM
Have hybrid, will travel.

I run the Bridestones and Continentials on my HCH and FEH at sidewall max.

I think that almost everyone will agree that the 26 psi they were at on your car was far too low.

As cooler weather rolls around, you will find that the cold pressure in the tires will reduce by about 1 psi per 10 degrees. So, if a normal low in your area is about 65-70 in the summer, and is now at 45-50, you may see the tires at 2+ psi below what you saw it in the middle of the summer.

Good luck!

Old 10-04-2006, 09:43 AM
Active Enthusiast

I guess the unasked questions are "why did the tire pressure drop to 26psi?" and "why didn't that drop trip the low tire pressure sensors?"

Old 10-04-2006, 09:45 AM

Originally Posted by klynch
I guess the unasked questions are "why did the tire pressure drop to 26psi?" and "why didn't that drop trip the low tire pressure sensors?"
My guess is that the dealership of factory set it to 26 psi. The TPMS would not indicate a fault as that was the pressure it was calibrated to.

Quick Reply: Tire Pressure?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands