Electric Vehicle Forums

Electric Vehicle Forums (/forums/)
-   Toyota Camry Hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/)
-   -   tire pressure 2008 camry hybrid (https://electricvehicleforums.com/forums/toyota-camry-hybrid-49/tire-pressure-2008-camry-hybrid-18930/)

seaford 07-06-2008 08:22 AM

tire pressure 2008 camry hybrid

I know this has been discussed before BUT I did notice lower mpg after dealer oil change, tire rotation etc. My son got me a tire pressure gauge and I just measured the tires. I have factory installed Bridgestone tires and the psi is 29.5 from the dealer. Should I, Could I increase this for better mpg? Is there a down-side in increasing pressure? Thanks

tbone526 07-06-2008 08:26 AM

Re: tire pressure 2008 camry hybrid

Oh boy, here we go.....

seaford 07-06-2008 08:42 AM

Sorry....the thread I found on this was dated 2006..and I really would like updated info..;)
Beth

haroldo 07-06-2008 08:49 AM

Everyone is allowed to ask a question and even if it is a question that has been asked previously (or even repeatedly), you needn't apologize.
Others can simply choose to ignore it rather than provide a non-answer.
The short answer is... increasing pressure can increase mileage, but potentially at a cost.
The increase in pressure reduces the amount of the surface area of tire making contact with the pavement, potentially causing the tires to respond or handle poorly.
In addition, some feel the increase in pressure reduces the tires life.
Some complain that increasing pressure makes for an uncomfortable or noisy ride.
There are many who can rebut each of these claims.
I am not speaking from experience (I inflate to recommended pressure plus 1-2 pounds), rather I am rehashing the items that were posted here.
Follow link in the FAQ (my signature) to see discussions on tires.
The manufacturer recommends a specific pressure based upon their testing for safety, comfort of ride and longevity.
Weigh all these factors and decide.

see this survey

tbone526 07-06-2008 02:11 PM

I meant no offense to the original poster, and probably should have refrained from responding as I did since the whole point of forums like this is that people come seeking information. My apologies.

Having said that, this is a controversial topic. Personally, I feel the people running their tires at the maximum pressure (as stated on the sidewall) are running a risk that I myself do not care to take for a marginal gain in MPG. That's my opinion, worth exactly what you paid for it, and others are entitled to their own.

Nice job to you, Haroldo, of pointing out both sides rather than simply chiming in with either a "Yeah, it's no problem to go to 40 PSI" or a "Heck no, you'll kill yourself and everyone around you".

haroldo 07-06-2008 02:44 PM

LOL...I wanted to say

...the car skids off the road and careens down the side of the mountain, the last thing the driver was heard saying was
"... did I tell you I got 47 MPG by over inflating my tires..."

rburt07 07-06-2008 03:08 PM

Your best general tire pressure might be 35 psi, after the tires have cooled. That seems to work well for all passenger tires. It's not extreme and would not pull down your gas mileage.

carolinacamry 07-06-2008 03:11 PM

I went from 32 lbs. to 35 lbs. about a week and a half ago. My onboard 'puter use to read 36-37mpg. Lately, its been around 38-39 consistantly. I'm not going higher than 35.

BobBass 07-06-2008 03:11 PM

...the car skids off the road and careens down the side of the mountain, the last thing the driver was heard saying was
"... did I tell you I got 47 MPG by over inflating my tires..."
haroldo,
Do you write for "The Simpsons?" Sounds like a CLASSIC Homer scenario.

haroldo 07-06-2008 03:32 PM

Originally Posted by BobBass (Post 179523)
haroldo,
Do you write for "The Simpsons?" Sounds like a CLASSIC Homer scenario.

No, but if you have an in with any producers, I'd be willing to be a writer!