TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR?

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2006, 11:37 AM
Enthusiast
Default TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR?

Your TCH has this feature? How do you feel about it? Does it helps you or bothers you?

Old 08-24-2006, 11:48 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR?

Originally Posted by CrisCross
Your TCH has this feature? How do you feel about it? Does it helps you or bothers you?
I haven't had it come on yet. There's nothing intrusive about it and if a tire loses a fair amount of pressure I think it's a good thing to have. You're much more likely to have a blowout with an underinflated tire as it doesn't handle heat build up as well.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:44 PM

I'm glad i have it. One week after delivery, i picked up a screw in the RR tire. I wouldn't have known it, and might have ruined the tire from the slow leak, if the TPM hadn't warned me of a low tire. (All others were at 35, this one was at 29). It certainly wasn't low enough ot notice it visually! I was able to have the tire repaired (free at Discount Tires) and potentially saved myself from having to buy a new tire, or worse, a safety issue from driving on an extremely low tire.

Old 08-24-2006, 12:58 PM

I've reset mine to monitor the pressures I'm running (42/40 front/rear)

Page 179: Set parking brake, Power ON then press the Reset switch in the glovebox for a few seconds until your tire pressure icon on the main gauge display slowly flashes three times.

I've lost a tire before from running flat. A nail caused a moderate leak and the tire self destructed before I knew there was a problem... I really like that the TCH will warn me before a tire is dangerously low. Great safety feature

Old 08-24-2006, 01:54 PM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

Originally Posted by nash
I've reset mine to monitor the pressures I'm running (42/40 front/rear)
Does that affect your breaking distances adversely?

Old 08-24-2006, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by schmidtj
Does that affect your breaking distances adversely?
Not that I can tell. Braking and cornering seem quite good with this pressure.

I had a dog dart out in front of the car and did a panic stop. I was very impressed with how fast the TCH stopped. The tires squealed for a split second, and the ABS kicked in and stopped. I was going about 35mph at the time.

Oh, the dog was fine!

If I had been driving my truck, it would have been ugly.

Old 08-24-2006, 03:27 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

I like having a TPMS, but I prefer a direct read out system, liek my TL had, I woudl page through their MID and once page woudl be each tire's exact pressure. The Camry is a percentage drop and to date I have yet to get an answer from Toyota on what the drop needs to be to trigger it. Also with everyone pumping up their tires over factory spec is everyone resetting their TPMS, the procedure is in the book. I set my pressure to 36 PIS and reset the TPMS, but if it is true that it won't trigger until liek a 20% drop well that is 29 PSI which to me is unacceptable I want to know sooner, but given that I usually check my tires every 2 weeks or so I guess it will do.

Old 08-25-2006, 08:19 AM
Enthusiast

Is this a standard feature in the TCH? I didn't even know I had it. Can you get it to display what the pressure is currently set to?

Old 08-25-2006, 08:26 AM

Originally Posted by Ladybug
Is this a standard feature in the TCH? I didn't even know I had it. Can you get it to display what the pressure is currently set to?
Yes it's a standard feature. It just lights up an icon on your dash when a tire's pressure drops a certain number of psi below the last calibration. As far as I know there's no way to display the pressure.

Old 08-25-2006, 08:30 AM
Keeping Toyota Solvent

It is standard.
See attached for some light reading on how it all works.
J

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
tirepres.pdf (58.7 KB, 135 views)

Quick Reply: TIRE PRESSURE MONITOR?

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands