Tire Speed Rating, V versus H

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2009, 02:29 PM
Active Enthusiast
Default Tire Speed Rating, V versus H

I am about to replace my Bridgestone Turanza P215/60R16 94V tires on my 2007 TCH. I am at just under 30k miles. In the research I have done here at greenhybrid, it looks like quite a few people are choosing a 94H rated tire instead of 94V.

The H speed rating means good up to 130 MPH (for 10 minutes without damage). The V speed rating is good up to 149 MPH. The OEM tires that come on a TCH are rated 94V (the 94 means load up to 1477 pounds).

I think that the logic for chosing an H rated tire is that the TCH has a governor that limits speed to around 120 MPH.

As I understand it, the speed rating also is based on capability at lower speeds, such as when cornering. For example, an H rated tire is more likely to roll over itself than a V rated tire, for a given turning radius at a given speed. Some tire shops, including Sams Club, will not mount a tire on a vehicle that has a lower speed rating than that recommended by the manufacturer (Toyota recommends 94V for the TCH).

Per wikipedia, http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Speed_rating

If a tire is replaced with a lower speed rating than originally specified by the vehicle manufacturer, then this may render the vehicle insurance invalid.

I know each of us makes our own choice on which tires to purchase. This post is intended to make it possible for each of us to make a more informed choice. I, for one, am sticking with the 94V rated tires. YMMV.

Old 06-23-2009, 05:50 PM
Active Enthusiast
Smile Re: Tire Speed Rating, V versus H

Got the "V" rated tires on mine - maybe they figure us California folks go faster than others

On a more serious side, maybe the V rating can handle the California heat better.

OK, something weird going on here. My above post was in response to someone from Canada stating that they had "H" rated tires. By the time I posted the Canadian post was gone! Anyway, that kind of explains my poor attempt at humor here.

Last edited by KenSoren; 06-23-2009 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-24-2009, 04:21 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tire Speed Rating, V versus H

Originally Posted by KenSoren
...OK, something weird going on here. My above post was in response to someone...By the time I posted the ...post was gone!...
Users can delete their own posts.

Old 06-24-2009, 07:09 AM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by KenSoren

OK, something weird going on here. My above post was in response to someone from Canada stating that they had "H" rated tires. By the time I posted the Canadian post was gone! Anyway, that kind of explains my poor attempt at humor here.

That would have been me and I deleted my thread because I was wrong my car did come with "V" rated tires.

I must have been thinking of my previous Camry.

Old 06-24-2009, 05:49 PM
Enthusiast

My 2007 TCH which I bought in June 2006 had the Bridgestone tires. At a little over 18000 miles I ran over something and made a big hole in the right rear tire. I had to have some new tires the next day as I had to go out of town. The only tires I could find in the right size was Michelin symmetry which were T speed rated. Turns out there was a radiator cap in my old tire. I traded the TCH for a Ford Fusion Hybrid June 2 at 53500 miles and the Michelins were not half gone, checked seven 32nds out of I think 10 or 11
when new. MPG was about .5 to 1 better with the Michelins. The new FFH has the Michelin Energy tires which are V rated.

Old 06-26-2009, 09:22 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

As far as I know the speed rating tells you how strong side wall is. The higher the rating the stiffer side wall is. I've seen tire dismount from the rim during very hard cornering and at low speed, so I would say you should use tire that is properly rated for the car, since at high speed cornering that could have been catastrophic. As far as speed rating itself, I wouldn't worry too much about it, unless you tell me where can I drive sustained 120 MPH without getting arrested and all the financial trauma attached to it. I would think the rating is good for some standard temperature and tire pressure, at higher tire pressure and lower temperature max speed should increase? Many keep tire pressure higher to save gas already.

Old 06-27-2009, 12:08 PM
Active Enthusiast

It would be best to replace with an exact replacement. But, an H rated tire would be fine and less pricey. You won't ever push the HyCam up to V rated speeds.... Won't even make the H rated speeds on its best day. You want to be 'just good enough' but not less than the max speed capability of the car.

Old 06-27-2009, 03:14 PM
Active Enthusiast

I'm puzzled as to why the TCH has such a high-speed tire. I mean we all drive no more than 88 km/hr (55 MPH) to save gas right? So why do we need a tire that is rated for over 224 km/hr (140 MPH)?

Old 06-27-2009, 03:27 PM
Active Enthusiast
Smile Re: Tire Speed Rating, V versus H

Originally Posted by GreenRedTCH
I'm puzzled as to why the TCH has such a high-speed tire. I mean we all drive no more than 88 km/hr (55 MPH) to save gas right? So why do we need a tire that is rated for over 224 km/hr (140 MPH)?

Maybe the Toy company buys a huge number of tires for Camry. So they buy the ones for the V-6 (the fastest?) and they put the same ones on all models. ???

Old 06-27-2009, 04:57 PM
Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by GreenRedTCH
Hahahahaha.

Good one.

Quick Reply: Tire Speed Rating, V versus H

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands