Tire Speed Rating, V versus H

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2009, 11:03 AM
Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Tire Speed Rating, V versus H

Originally Posted by Old-Crows
It would be best to replace with an exact replacement. But, an H rated tire would be fine and less pricey. You won't ever push the HyCam up to V rated speeds.... Won't even make the H rated speeds on its best day. You want to be 'just good enough' but not less than the max speed capability of the car.
Less pricey but more risky. The point of my post is that the speed rating is not merely about maximum speed, it is also about how well the tire will hold up when cornering. All Camrys since 2006 have the 94V rating tire specified by Toyota. The TCH weighs more than the non-hybrid Camry, so in my humble opinion, it is even more important to have the V-rated tire.

Old 06-29-2009, 01:03 PM
Enthusiast

My Toyota dealer only sells T rated tires. Toyota customer service says that T rated are fine on TCH. I just installed Michelin Destiny T rated, and they handle extraordinarily better than the stock Bridgestones.

Old 07-07-2009, 12:42 PM
Active Enthusiast

I remember reading somewhere that it is the LLR tires are (maybe nowdays, were) available only as V rated.

Old 07-07-2009, 02:51 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Originally Posted by cgul
My 2007 TCH which I bought in June 2006 had the Bridgestone tires. At a little over 18000 miles I ran over something and made a big hole in the right rear tire. I had to have some new tires the next day as I had to go out of town. The only tires I could find in the right size was Michelin symmetry which were T speed rated. Turns out there was a radiator cap in my old tire. I traded the TCH for a Ford Fusion Hybrid June 2 at 53500 miles and the Michelins were not half gone, checked seven 32nds out of I think 10 or 11
when new. MPG was about .5 to 1 better with the Michelins. The new FFH has the Michelin Energy tires which are V rated.
Michelin has always been known for it's long lasting tread. I have a '07 TCH and am looking forward to replacing my tires with Michelin Energy "green dot" tires. Something about a improved LLR rubber compound.

This will be very interesting comparing your new Ford Fusion Hybrid to the TCH you drove for many years. Ford is working hard to keep there Fusion and Focus cars with top notch quality.

Your comparison will sure beat out any auto reviews from the magazines.