Tire Wear

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2006, 03:32 PM
WVGasGuy
Default Tire Wear

I rotated my tires at 5000 miles at the dealer. I have 9200 miles on the car presently and noticed that the front tires are mildly cupping on the outer edge. I checked and saw that the rears had also cupped (I'm assuming from when they were on the front).

The dealer should have noticed this when they rotated the tires and corrected it then.

I'll be taking this back to the dealer next week. It does not pull, it does not shimmy. I had to see dust on the tread in my mom's driveway to see the cupping and then when I looked hard I could feel it.

I've seen threads where people said their cars pulled to the right. You may want to check this closely as you may not see any symptoms.

Old 08-17-2006, 03:45 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid
Default Re: Tire Wear

Originally Posted by WVGasGuy
I rotated my tires at 5000 miles at the dealer. I have 9200 miles on the car presently and noticed that the front tires are mildly cupping on the outer edge. I checked and saw that the rears had also cupped (I'm assuming from when they were on the front).

The dealer should have noticed this when they rotated the tires and corrected it then.

I'll be taking this back to the dealer next week. It does not pull, it does not shimmy. I had to see dust on the tread in my mom's driveway to see the cupping and then when I looked hard I could feel it.

I've seen threads where people said their cars pulled to the right. You may want to check this closely as you may not see any symptoms.
Could this be because of the very high inflation pressure you chose to use?

Old 08-17-2006, 03:50 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

WV, what brand tires did your TCH come with?

Old 08-17-2006, 03:58 PM
WVGasGuy

The Bridgestones

Old 08-17-2006, 04:00 PM
WVGasGuy

I run mine at 36 psig. Driving on concrete interstate I don't necessarily consider that "Very High" inflation.

Old 08-17-2006, 04:01 PM
2007 Toyota Camry Hybrid

I run mine at 36 psig. Driving on concrete interstate I don't necessarily consider that "Very High" inflation.
Sorry. That is not high. I confused you with some in that thread that were running inflations in the mid to high 40's.

Old 08-17-2006, 04:03 PM
WVGasGuy

I think that running in the 40's is borderline crazy. Sort of like running w/o A/C in 90 degrees or pushing your car out of the driveway (saw that on the HCH thread)

Old 08-17-2006, 04:06 PM

The Bridgestones
I will keep an eye on mine, but I have the Michelins. The reason I asked, is some tires are more prone to cupping than others. Maybe a stop at a Bridgestone tire store would confirm if that is the case for your tires, or if it is an alignment issue.

Old 08-17-2006, 07:07 PM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast

Have the alignment checked, I usually BS the dealer on every car I get during first visit and tell them car has sligth pull and to check the alignment and show me the print out. My older Toyotas were notorius for not being well aligned from factory and not holding an alignment very well.

Old 08-23-2006, 01:19 PM

I noticed that you have Bridgestone tires and about 10K miles on your TCH. I've just passed 4K miles and have been running 42psi front/ 40psi rear on my Bridgestone tires. I don't see any evidence of excessive center wear so far. I'm amazed at how cool the tires are when I park at home or work.

When I first got my TCH, I measured the tread depth. New was 9/32 on the outer grooves, and 10/32 on the inner grooves. At 4K miles, I'm seeing just shy of 1/32 wear, pretty even across all 4 tires. It is a bit early to extrapolate, but it appears the Bridgestones will only last about 35K miles.

If WVGasGuy measures his tread depth, it would give a better indication on the life expectancy of these tires.

Last edited by nash; 08-23-2006 at 02:15 PM. Reason: to spell WVGasGuy's name right -_-

Quick Reply: Tire Wear

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands