Tough color decision, hmmm...

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2006, 11:05 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Arrow Tough color decision, hmmm...

The new Barcelona Red color is amazing. I've never seen a red like it. It's sort of a cranberry color, with lots of metal flecks in the paint. The red gives the Camry a much sportier look. The dark Magnetic Gray color is also stunning, and has subtle blue and green tones in certain light conditions. It gives it a sophisticated look.

My dealer will let me change my order anytime, and I can't decide on a color. At home, my other half says I can have any color but red. But the red is really unbelievable. Any other opinions? What colors have others seen and liked a lot?

Inside, I was happy that the gray (formally called Ash) interior is not a cold gray, but a warm one. I was thinking that maybe Ash would look better with the brushed metal interior trim (console, dash, doors), and also be a little easier to keep clean.

Old 04-30-2006, 01:53 PM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Tough color decision, hmmm...

I also like the the dark Magnetic Gray, it looks great on the Camry.
The Driftwood Pearl (DP) has a classic look and works really well with the Prius lines. Have fun selecting a color.

Old 04-30-2006, 06:52 PM
Enthusiast

And what's her hangup with red? I love red on most cars and the cranberry you describe isn't really red like fire engine red but classier, not brassy. If you're the main driver, get what color you want I say. Do you get to dictate what colors she wears for clothing?

Deb

Old 04-30-2006, 06:57 PM

I will be buying a Barcelona Red hybrid with gray cloth interior. I haven't found a dealer that has one allocated, but one dealer did promise to request it from Toyota on Monday, and he'll know by Wednesday if the request was granted. If it was, I'd have the car by the end of the month.

I think the green, gray, and silver colors also look fine, but red is so breathtakingly beautiful that I've decided to hold out for one, even if I end up waiting a month or two. (I know of a dealer that will get two silver package 1s in a couple of weeks, but I think I'll pass.)

Old 04-30-2006, 07:41 PM

The primary driver gets to decide the color, I say. If it's because of the "red cars get more tickets" myth, it's just that -- a myth/urban legend. Sure, we can all point to (or are) a red vehicle driver who's received a ticket at some point, but statistically they aren't ticketed any more than any other color. I made it 14 years in a red (Sunfire Red Pearl) 1992 Toyota Corolla without ever getting a ticket, warning, accident or any other issue on the roadways. 14 years of daily driving and only one ticket in a major metro area. I now drive a "Redfire Pearl Metallic" 2006 Ford Escape Hybrid. Seen plenty of people getting tickets (it's Fiesta time in San Antonio) and can't recall that any of them were red.

If it's something else, I revert to my original point -- if this is going to be your primary vehicle, why does it matter to her what color it is? I wouldn't have dreamed of having my husband tell me I couldn't get a certain color in the Ford Escape (my primary vehicle), or in dictating what his 2001 Ford F-150 pickup color would be (it's black, with tan interior, btw.) Price is one thing, color... not negotiable.

Tell her at least it's not fluorescent yellow like the Lotus Elise I've seen (which actually looks beautiful in that color, but stands out like a sore thumb since only a foreign sportscar manufacturer would dare put that color on any vehicle other than a fire engine.)

Last edited by GeekGal; 04-30-2006 at 07:46 PM.
Old 04-30-2006, 08:20 PM

Cops aim their radar guns at whoever appears to be moving fastest. Color is irrelevant.

Even so, I can't tell you to go with red because what's worse: a gray car, or an upset spouse? But the green color looks really good in photos, though I haven't heard of any TCHs being produced in that color yet. That's nice too.

Old 05-01-2006, 06:08 AM
Enthusiast

My wife found out what color my new car was when she saw it at home. That also happened to be the first hint she got that I was even THINKING about a new car. Two months later, she actually got to ride in it. Oh, and she'll never drive it. Original poster - take your ***** out of the jar on the shelf, put them back on, and go get your red car.

Old 05-14-2006, 10:31 PM
Arrow Re: Tough color decision, hmmm...

Part of me still wishes I'd gotten Barcelona Red, but the Magnetic Gray is AWESOME. Neighbors and friends have been stopping by to see it, and I've never heard such raves about a color on a car before. Everyone seems to be crazy about Magnetic Gray.

Now that I've had a chance to see it in sun and shade, day and night, here's what I've noticed. The color is very complex, and can take on many hues. You will see blue and green casts to it, and a neighbor woman (color expert) said it had dusty rose in it, too. Whatever it might be, it is always changing, and very appealing. It combines real well with the ash interior color, too.

Although I put links to my car pics elsewhere, here they are again. The colors in the photos seem very true. Brochure pics of the interior were very incorrect. I was happy that Toyota selected a warm-toned gray rather than cold.

Hope this may help some of you with what can be a tough color decision. Wish we had an official place to post Camry pics here at greenhybrid. (Hint.)

Old 05-14-2006, 11:19 PM
Enthusiast

My Mom just bought me a new Camry Hybrid...it was my grad present, even though I havent graduated yet!! I was having the same delema!! What color should I choose? At first I wanted the Aloe Green, but then my Mom convinced me that it was kind of fuddy duddy looking, like something my Granny would want. So then I decided on black!! Nice, clean, sophisticated black...only problem was that I would have to wait four months for a black one because Toyota only made one black Camry Hybrid for all of Western Canada....go figure!! And the lease on my current vehicle is ending in June, so i didn't have that kind of time. So we went over the colors again and again and finally decided on the Magnetic Gray. I think that it compliments the interior quite well, and it is just as sophisticated looking as the black!! I am extremely happy with my selection.....even though the salesman said that they might not be able to get one in Magnetic Gray either. So I might just end up with Barcelona Red!! Well, at least it will go nicely with my red hair!!!

Old 05-14-2006, 11:32 PM
Arrow Re: Tough color decision, hmmm...

Barcelona Red hair. With Ash highlights?

Quick Reply: Tough color decision, hmmm...

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands