TOW HITCH FOR 2007 HYBRID CAMRY

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 07:50 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: TOW HITCH FOR 2007 HYBRID CAMRY

Originally Posted by Jay Lucas
I purchased and installed the hitch from eTrailer made by Curt (sp?). The holes all were aligned with the screw holes for the tie downs. Installed it with only a wrench in less than an hour. Now I can (and do) occasionally carry around my bike rack, for 2 bicycles (the 1 Up USA one). Works fine. Jay
Which model and/or part number? Thanks much.

Old 09-18-2006, 08:01 PM
Contented Camry Hybrider

I don't recall the model number, but it's easy:

Go to etrailer.com and indicate an 07 Toyota Camry in the hitch calculator. It will specify a hitch. And it works.

If you want more details: the hitch mounts in the same holes occupied by the "tie downs". You have to remove the tie downs (that hold the car steady on its boat ride here, if any), and use the supplied bolts to hold the hitch in those holes. Only tricky part is aligning the hitch to those holes. The muffler mounts to those same holes, so you have to lower it a little, jiggle the hitch into place, then lift up the hitch (with a friend) and screw in the bolts to those holes.

Done in an hour.

Jay

Old 09-19-2006, 07:12 AM
WVGasGuy

I think many of us would like to see the final result if you have a picture. I'm curious as to how much of it you can see from the rear and what it does to the looks of the car as well as its functionability

Old 09-19-2006, 07:00 PM
Contented Camry Hybrider

Shoot. Yesterday I learned to post on this list, and now I have to learn to take a picture and send it up. Give me a little time.

I can tell you it's visible, but doesn't descend more than a few inches below the bumper. It's a 1.25 inch hitch receiver, so it's not too big. The shiny black complements my Barcelona Red Camry. Walking around the car, all you see is the receiver, maybe the horizontal bar if you lean down to look.

Jay

Old 09-29-2006, 03:15 PM
Active Enthusiast

If you want more details: the hitch mounts in the same holes occupied by the "tie downs".
Thanks Jay for the information about the hitch.

I've downloaded the instruction sheet for the hitch and it looks very simple.

One question: The muffler side is not covered but the other side is covered with a plastic cover that has a slot that looks too narrow for the hitch connection. Did you remove this cover and then carve out a slot so that it would fit?

Thanks,

Will Mayall

Old 09-29-2006, 07:48 PM
Contented Camry Hybrider

Originally Posted by mayall
Thanks Jay for the information about the hitch.

I've downloaded the instruction sheet for the hitch and it looks very simple.

One question: The muffler side is not covered but the other side is covered with a plastic cover that has a slot that looks too narrow for the hitch connection. Did you remove this cover and then carve out a slot so that it would fit?

Thanks,

Will Mayall
Will,
The bottom cover is, as best I can figure, is for aerodynamics. I noticed that the Camry CE, LE and XLE don't have it. Thus I removed it before putting on the hitch, and have not yet replaced it. It has an eclectic assortment of connectors holding it on, but came off with patience, a screwdriver and a wrench. I have not noticed an increase in MPG because of its absence, but that is just anecdotal.

Jay

Old 09-30-2006, 06:35 AM
Active Enthusiast

Even if someone paid me to have a hitch installed on any sedan (more so for a hybrid) I would not do it.

Old 09-30-2006, 09:18 AM
Enthusiast

Originally Posted by agnosto
Even if someone paid me to have a hitch installed on any sedan (more so for a hybrid) I would not do it.
I have a hitch on my deisel VW and you should see them look when I hook up the big trailer and snort around lol. comes in handy for trips to Menard's and Lowes, My lexus GX470 handles my backhoe very well so won't put a hitch on the TCH.

Old 09-30-2006, 09:50 AM
Active Enthusiast

My wife and I ride bikes and like to take them to nice places to ride. I want the hitch so I can attach a bike rack. I will not tow a trailer. The strap on bike racks scratch the car and simply don't work well.

The hitch attaches directly to the car frame at the same points as the car tie downs. This would seem to be a strong attachment point that was created by Toyota for extreme stress. Even with 4 bikes, I would expect the total load to be less than 200 lbs.

I guess my mpg will drop no matter how I attach the bikes.

Will Mayall

Last edited by mayall; 10-01-2006 at 10:20 AM.
Old 09-30-2006, 09:54 AM
Active Enthusiast

Jay,

Thanks for the help choosing a hitch. I'm ordering it today and will post my experience.
It has an eclectic assortment of connectors holding it on, but came off with patience, a screwdriver and a wrench.
I noticed that the cover has all sorts of odd connectors. I hope I can figure them out! I think I will probably try to cut a slot and put the cover back on after installing the hitch.

Thanks,

Will Mayall

Quick Reply: TOW HITCH FOR 2007 HYBRID CAMRY

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands