Toyota Camry 2010 - P0A94 DC/DC Converter Performance

Search this Thread

Old 09-16-2015, 06:13 PM
Enthusiast
Exclamation Toyota Camry 2010 - P0A94 DC/DC Converter Performance

Hey,

I own a 2010 Camry hybrid which used to be an ex-taxi. I have experienced the car shutting down on 2 occasions, 6 months apart. I have been driving on the freeway at approx. 100km/h and the car has stopped accelerating and i have had to pull over. The screen displayed "Check Hybrid System". After stopping for several minutes i was able to start the car and turn back home. There has been no problems until I took the car on the freeway again roughly 6 months later and the same issue has popped up around 20 minutes into my journey. I have taken the car into a mechanic who has told me the trouble code (P0A94 DC/DC Converter Performance). The mechanic is telling me that i need to replace the whole gearbox. This is a very expensive fix, and i was wondering if anyone knew if there was possibly a component that could be changed rather than changing the whole gearbox. I would really love some feedback or tips if anyone knew anything about this issue.

This issue seems to only be popping up when using the freeway for over 15-20 minutes. In normal city/ suburban driving there are never any problems whatsoever.

THANKS !

Old 09-17-2015, 02:34 AM
Enthusiast
Default Re: Toyota Camry 2010 - P0A94 DC/DC Converter Performance

Originally Posted by vasili
I have taken the car into a mechanic who has told me the trouble code (P0A94 DC/DC Converter Performance). The mechanic is telling me that i need to replace the whole gearbox. This is a very expensive fix, and i was wondering if anyone knew if there was possibly a component that could be changed rather than changing the whole gearbox.
I gather you are in Aus.

Did you take the car to toyota or a standard mechanic? Given the car doesn't have a typical gearbox It sounds like you have been to a dodgy mechanic who doesn't really know what they are doing.

The error is the DC Boost Converter - an electronic component that has nothing to do with the gearset (it isn't really a traditional gearbox). In particular, the component that boosts the battery voltage to 500V to power the electric motor.

There is some info here: http://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%9...pm/0a94553.pdf

Old 09-17-2015, 06:44 PM
Enthusiast

My mechanic tells me he has done many previous replacements of the gearboxes (10) which have been logging the same code. After replacing the gearbox the problem has disappeared and never returned. I have read the steps that were in that PDF you sent me, and i am wondering if the gearbox has been replaced on the other vehicles, could it really be a component? Wouldn't the problem reappear if it was not related to the gearbox? I am just seeing if there is any other possible solution.

I am hoping that it is not the gearbox and I am open to any other suggestions if you have any.

Look forward to hearing from you

Thanks

Old 09-17-2015, 08:52 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Actually there are 23 P0A94 codes, as they all have same base code and 23 different suffixes, - 3digits.
They can be diagnosed properly only with Techstream software. So you have 2 choices. Like other poster said - take her to a mech that actually understands hybrids. Or, hassle with downloading Techstream software for free from their site, buying USB to OBD2 port Techstream specific cable and trying to figure on your own.
I'd strongly suggest to NOT mess with this. DC converter is rather an intricate piece along with entire system that can be damaged.
2010? Is hybrid drive still under warranty? Factory warranty is 8/100 000.

Old 09-21-2015, 11:14 AM
Super Moderator

Sorry about being late to the party guys, I have been on vacation for a bit....

Having said that, listen to the two guys above, either find a competent tech or IF YOU ARE A COMPETENT TECH (notice the bold), get a good scanner or Techstream software and start checking. The absolute LAST resort in the worst case would be a PSD (transmission) replacement. Yes, I'm sure the other guy has had great success doing that as you are replacing EVERY component that could possibly fail in this situation. You can and should run the tests outlined to fix the problem. What your tech is wanting to do is have you build a siege gun to shoot a gnat.

Old 11-17-2015, 10:46 PM
Enthusiast
Smile Re: Toyota Camry 2010 - P0A94 DC/DC Converter Performance

Hi,

Did anyone find a solution to this problem. We currently have a AHV40 Camry with the exact same problem mentioned in this post with the DTC POA94-127 only logging when the vehicle is hot and doing over 90Km/h. The problem never logs the code when doing under 90km/h. I have been through all the tests outlined for this code but none of the tests lead anywhere. We also changed the inverter with a second hand unit but this did not change anything either. Thanks in advance.

Old 11-22-2015, 07:02 AM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast

Wild idea. Get her on the lift, start the engine, put it into drive and accelerate to 90 km/h. Then you should be able to do diagnostic, right? Or, you already had scanner connected while driving? You somehow logged the code at over 90...
How is inverter coolant level? That coolant is also cooling motor generators. Which leads towards transmission codes if they were overheating.

Last edited by ukrkoz; 11-22-2015 at 07:06 AM.
Old 01-14-2016, 08:38 AM
Enthusiast

Hey,

I'm new to the forum but I've owned my 2011 Toyota Camry since I've bought it from the dealer.

I'm in need of your help! I have the exact issues with my current car and my mechanic is looking for a fix. We've changed one part already but it didn't work out so far.

Have any of you find a good solution for this problem?

Thanks in advanced

Old 03-31-2016, 01:50 PM
Enthusiast

Hello,I live in Africa, please I'm having the same issue, I have 2007 Camry hybrid. It has P0a80, and P0A94, then I purchased another battery from summitracing.com. Then P0A80 replace Battry Pack is gone. Then I'm dealing with P0A94 DC/DC converter performance, no subcode. the car goes off on high speed, and I will have to remove the 12v battery cable to reset the car again before I can move on.

Here are what I have done.
I bought another Used inverter, and installed it. But I figured out the car can go long distance before it shows error code again 'check Hubrid System'

So I'm not sure if this problem is the inverter, or maybe the used one I got again wasn't good enough. Or maybe I need to get another. Someone told me it could be the gear problem. But I was thinking this had nothing to do with the gear.

Someone should please help me.
Thanks in advance.

Old 04-09-2016, 11:52 PM
Enthusiast

After replacing the hybrid battery on the 2007 Camry the 12v battery will not charge. I've read if removing the battery cables to the aux battery the computer must be reset. Could this be the reason there the battery is discharging and no charge voltage is going to the battery? There are no dash warnings or codes present. Can only a Toyota tech find the problem?

Quick Reply: Toyota Camry 2010 - P0A94 DC/DC Converter Performance

Contact Us -

• Manage Preferences
  • Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Your Privacy Choices -

When you click on links to various merchants on this site and make a purchase, this can result in this site earning a commission. Affiliate programs and affiliations include, but are not limited to, the eBay Partner Network.

© 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands