Old 05-09-2009, 06:34 AM
Along for the ride.....
Default Toyota Camry Hybrid Ready to Make NASCAR History

As a pace car

http://behindthewheelnews.toyota.com...=&fTrk=Default

Old 05-09-2009, 01:08 PM
Ridiculously Active Enthusiast
Default Re: Toyota Camry Hybrid Ready to Make NASCAR History

Kind of ironic, (and very misleading) no?
. In order to qualify at LMS, a vehicle is required to reach speeds close to 100 miles per hour from a standby position near the exit of pit road to the time it reaches the exit of turn two, a distance of approximately a quarter mile.
They want to showcase a hybrid, but I doubt the vehicle will be powered by "battery only" if they expect to be going from 0-100 within a 1/4 mile. I doubt the ICE will shut off, but I could be wrong.

Old 05-09-2009, 07:53 PM
Active Enthusiast

I think it is to showcase the other side of hybrids. The fact that it CAN go to 100mph and that it is worthy enough to be consider/used as a pace car.

Old 05-10-2009, 01:34 AM

Yeah, I guess, but I think a better pace car could be the Tesla, which could easily get to that speed on battery only. 0-60 in under 4 seconds.
To most, hybrid means engine efficiency and alternative fuel sourcing. Anyone watching the TCH is bound to think that it achieved the acceleration and speed based upon it's battery, which I presume, would be wrong.
Just seems ironic...to me.

Last edited by haroldo; 05-10-2009 at 01:49 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 10:06 AM
Active Enthusiast

I think Al Gore, Jr. blew away the myth that hybrids aren't capable of performance, when he got busted for 114 in a Prius.

I know that most of us concentrate on the mileage aspect of things, but there are those who look at the 0 - ?? side, too.

All thing being equal, I think the Tesla would be a bit 'intimidating' to the NASCAR drivers. I think their 0 - 100 time is somewhere around that of a Saturn 5 booster rocket.

Although, I would like to see it. (bwaahahahah!!!)

Old 05-10-2009, 10:33 AM

I've read that the Tesla dealers ask the customer to adjust the radio when the salesman accelerates. The passenger, being thrown back in their seat has a tough time reaching the ***.

Old 05-11-2009, 11:32 AM

Looks like Toyota wants to promote their Hybrid's for average drivers. Hybrid means, dual energy source. No doubt the TCH they will use for the race will be using all of it's 198 horsepower at times.

Old 05-17-2009, 11:30 AM
Pretty Darn Active Enthusiast
Default Mods Re: Toyota Camry Hybrid Ready to Make NASCAR History

I think I recall that many times the pace cars have been given a few "tweaks" that are not on the production models. Sometimes these may be available later as options, dealer mod's, aftermarket parts, etc.

I will be interested to see what, if any, modifications that the TCH pace cars will get. The car mag's may report, or maybe we'll see online news.

Whatever we learn, it will be a win-win situation for TCH enthusiasts. If no mod's, we get big bragging rights. If mod's are done, we may get some "upgrade" opportunities.

Old 05-20-2009, 06:14 PM
Enthusiast

Isn't that a good news??... I always love Toyota Camry.